ATL: ISAAC - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: ISAAC - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#741 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 pm

When recon few through they profiled the surface pressure and it is quite shallow and broad with only 3 or 4 MB's of drop over many miles except for perhaps the very center. Have to wait for the next convective bloom to know where that is now.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#742 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:37 pm

meriland29 wrote:Of he ends up surviving the dead zone and gets into the Gulf (and that's a big if)...what are the conditions supposed to be like there by the time he would get there in terms of sheer, water temps, etc?

Water temps and shear would be favorable, but the confusion is due to the models weakening it beforehand. I’m completely baffled by this system to be honest.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#743 Postby MetroMike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:
meriland29 wrote:Of he ends up surviving the dead zone and gets into the Gulf (and that's a big if)...what are the conditions supposed to be like there by the time he would get there in terms of sheer, water temps, etc?

Water temps and shear would be favorable, but the confusion is due to the models weakening it beforehand. I’m completely baffled by this system to be honest.

Models can't get a good read on it given the conflicting good/bad conditions in these waters.
1 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#744 Postby Ian2401 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Wow, big divergence on intensity models for this system. About half want to kill it off pretty quickly, and the other half want to keep it alive and have it take off.
0 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#745 Postby meriland29 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

I am not professional by any means, so dont take my opinion seriously..but, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ends up a some sort of hurricane in the gulf. It is hard to take GFS or the other models seriously in such a questionable environment. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few runs the models will change their mind on him being a dead wave in boneville...
4 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: ISAAC - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#746 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:32 pm

meriland29 wrote:I am not professional by any means, so dont take my opinion seriously..but, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ends up a some sort of hurricane in the gulf. It is hard to take GFS or the other models seriously in such a questionable environment. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few runs the models will change their mind on him being a dead wave in boneville...
Your opinion matters as much as everyone else and your isaac forecast certainly has a chance
4 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#747 Postby CFLHurricane » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 pm

meriland29 wrote:I am not professional by any means, so dont take my opinion seriously..but, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ends up a some sort of hurricane in the gulf. It is hard to take GFS or the other models seriously in such a questionable environment. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few runs the models will change their mind on him being a dead wave in boneville...

Reports of Isaac’s death are likely premature, it being peak season and all.
3 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

USVIKimmie
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#748 Postby USVIKimmie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 pm

RL3AO wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:I love this comment from the discussion, which is basically NHC's way of saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The reality of the situation is that the long-term future of Isaac is cloudy, and the best advice is just to follow NHC advisories every 6 hours to see if we gain any confidence.

I was trying to guess who wrote that before looking at the name. I went with Lix, but I can totally see that being Eric Blake. He'll have more zingers in the future I think.

Blake has usually had a good sense of humor, even with official statements. He gets the point across, even with the "we dunno" thrown in. I always look forward to his synopsis.

Isaac is past the Virgins, for the most part... but I'll still watch, just to see how this mess plays out. Might learn something!

more like learn just how much Mother Nature likes to laugh at us trying to predict her!
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#749 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm

USVIKimmie wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:I love this comment from the discussion, which is basically NHC's way of saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was trying to guess who wrote that before looking at the name. I went with Lix, but I can totally see that being Eric Blake. He'll have more zingers in the future I think.

Blake has usually had a good sense of humor, even with official statements. He gets the point across, even with the "we dunno" thrown in. I always look forward to his synopsis.

Isaac is past the Virgins, for the most part... but I'll still watch, just to see how this mess plays out. Might learn something!

more like learn just how much Mother Nature likes to laugh at us trying to predict her!

I find that the easiest way to learn is to speak in absolutes, always be a contrarian, predict doom and gloom at the very first hint a system is developing, predict sunshine and rainbows at the very first sign a single model runs shows a "poof", and lastly, make sure you make references to all the worst storms on record at the first sign of cyclogenesis. If you follow these simple guidelines, you'll go far here.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#750 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 pm

SoupBone wrote:
USVIKimmie wrote:
RL3AO wrote:

I find that the easiest way to learn is to speak in absolutes, always be a contrarian, predict doom and gloom at the very first hint a system is developing, predict sunshine and rainbows at the very first sign a single model runs shows a "poof", and lastly, make sure you make references to all the worst storms on record at the first sign of cyclogenesis. If you follow these simple guidelines, you'll go far here.

And never say the 'A' word.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#751 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:54 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
USVIKimmie wrote:

And never say the 'A' word.

It's actually you always say Annular. :lol:
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

USVIKimmie
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#752 Postby USVIKimmie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:And never say the 'A' word.

Nope. Been lurking for years, not a pro by any stretch... just paying attention for my little area. Always learning, too.
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#753 Postby meriland29 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

The storm isnt firing convection at all though...

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... product=ir
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#754 Postby tailgater » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I think Issac is messing with the NHC. I’m dying this evening, but wait tonight he’ll blow up in the am. TS, no open wave.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#755 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:08 pm

And just like that POOF, it’s gone on IR tonight! He’s just teasing the NHC!
1 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#756 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Convection seems to be rapidly collapsing for the moment but that allows the spiraled convection around the LLC to be better seen. Still looks a lot better than yesterday
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#757 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Frank P wrote:And just like that POOF, it’s gone on IR tonight! He’s just teasing the NHC!

Isaac is a jokester! He's not done, he's playing tiddly winks with us.

Seriously though, the convection is nearly gone. Strange.
Last edited by SoupBone on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#758 Postby meriland29 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Did he just have a sudden heart attack and die?
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#759 Postby Blinhart » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 pm

So I'm guessing since Flo came in weaker, the escape route North was closed because not as big of a window in the Jet Stream.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#760 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm

I wonder if they're sending recon in again tomorrow. He really looks like trash right now.

But...we'll only be fooled.

1 likes   

Return to “2018”