ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#4321 Postby tomatkins » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 pm

mitchell wrote:
psyclone wrote:Building codes will never be able to accommodate an extreme high end storm like Michael. We'd have to live in a concrete bunker which defeats the whole concept of coastal living. Michael turned into a true "run for your life" storm and come back to fight another day. Building codes stand the best chance of reducing $ damage in a more moderate event...think of a cat 2 or low end 3 like a Wilma in south florida for example.

agree...building houses that are capable of withstanding category 4/5 winds and storm surge is possible but totally impractical for the vast majority of the market.

-First floors 10-15 feet above grade
-Foundations and exterior walls capable of withstanding violent impacts from other waterborne or airborne buildings/boats/infrastruture
-Every window with heavily reinforced shutters/protection

It would probably double or triple the cost of a house just to protect it from an event that has perhaps a 1% - 10% chance of occurring in the building's lifetime.

And even with all of that - even the smallest crack is going to lead to interior water damage that will cost alot of repair.
2 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#4322 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am

shiny-pebble wrote:This season in general has told us that just because it hasn't happened before doesnt mean it won't happen

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Imagine this hitting a big city like Miami or any other city on the gulf coast and east coast. So many of us are lucky. These things can and will happen. Sometimes it takes a few decades but they eventually come. I always wondered when we'd see a storm like Andrew, Camille, or the labor day hurricane again. And whatever strong hurricanes hit before that that we have no records of.
1 likes   

Blow_Hard
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4323 Postby Blow_Hard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

This is my first post since Michael... I was on this site and watching the reports as the pressure kept dropping and was marveling at the storm from a weather enthusiast's vantage point not ever realizing what monster was headed towards me. I've ridden out every Hurricane that has hit this area since 1975 and they were a bad thunderstorm compared to Michael. My wife and I rode out the storm at her parents home and it was terrifying to say the least. I will never, ever, ever ride out another storm period. We all made it fine, the house is still standing, but it was 2 solid hours of screaming winds, debris crashing in to the house. As most of you have seen, the damage is just horrific and unspeakable. I thank the Good Lord that all my family has been accounted for and are doing well.
22 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4324 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am

Blow_Hard wrote:This is my first post since Michael... I was on this site and watching the reports as the pressure kept dropping and was marveling at the storm from a weather enthusiast's vantage point not ever realizing what monster was headed towards me. I've ridden out every Hurricane that has hit this area since 1975 and they were a bad thunderstorm compared to Michael. My wife and I rode out the storm at her parents home and it was terrifying to say the least. I will never, ever, ever ride out another storm period. We all made it fine, the house is still standing, but it was 2 solid hours of screaming winds, debris crashing in to the house. As most of you have seen, the damage is just horrific and unspeakable. I thank the Good Lord that all my family has been accounted for and are doing well.

Where are you from?
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#4325 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 am

toad strangler wrote:
Blow_Hard wrote:This is my first post since Michael... I was on this site and watching the reports as the pressure kept dropping and was marveling at the storm from a weather enthusiast's vantage point not ever realizing what monster was headed towards me. I've ridden out every Hurricane that has hit this area since 1975 and they were a bad thunderstorm compared to Michael. My wife and I rode out the storm at her parents home and it was terrifying to say the least. I will never, ever, ever ride out another storm period. We all made it fine, the house is still standing, but it was 2 solid hours of screaming winds, debris crashing in to the house. As most of you have seen, the damage is just horrific and unspeakable. I thank the Good Lord that all my family has been accounted for and are doing well.

Where are you from?
it sound he from Mexico beach
0 likes   

Blow_Hard
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4326 Postby Blow_Hard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 am

toad strangler wrote:

Where are you from?

Panama City...we were in the western edge of the eyewall I guess. Right along Hwy 231 ...just west of Tyndall AFB & Callaway.
10 likes   

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4327 Postby SootyTern » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Glad to hear your house stood up and you and your family are safe!
2 likes   
Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gulf Coast: Opal '95 Georges '98 / So Fla: Katrina '05 Wilma '05 Irma '17

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#4328 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Interesting how around Tyndall pretty much all the pines snapped in the same direction. I'd imagine they would be snapped in opposite directions, though I guess the back eyewall must have packed a lot more punch.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#4329 Postby DioBrando » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Eerie sunset post Mike
6 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4330 Postby toad strangler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:15 pm

DioBrando wrote:https://i.gyazo.com/f152cbbb6b67eec5b55151a42c4baf3e.jpg

Eerie sunset post Mike

That’s not eerie. It’s simply gorgeous. Tranquil FL sunsets FTW
1 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#4331 Postby bob rulz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 pm

There are still 46 people unaccounted for last I heard. I hope they're all simply out of range of current cell service, but sadly it's not unreasonable to think that there are still bodies in the rubble of Mexico Beach, or that some bodies were washed out to see and will never be found.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#4332 Postby DioBrando » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 pm

toad strangler wrote:

Eerie sunset post Mike

That’s not eerie. It’s simply gorgeous. Tranquil FL sunsets FTW

true :(
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

mlfreeman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4333 Postby mlfreeman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Eerie sunset post Mike

Looks like an advertisement for Fallout 5.

We had the same clear sunset over here in Jax. First sign of fall!
3 likes   

Nightwatch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4334 Postby Nightwatch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:41 am

bob rulz wrote:There are still 46 people unaccounted for last I heard. I hope they're all simply out of range of current cell service, but sadly it's not unreasonable to think that there are still bodies in the rubble of Mexico Beach, or that some bodies were washed out to see and will never be found.

Reuters talks about 1000 missing?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-stor ... op+News%29

Or did u mean 46 unaccounted for in a certain city?

Thousand seems so imaginable...
0 likes   
The only thing we really get for free is the weather...

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4335 Postby Rail Dawg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:29 am

I was in downtown Panama City in a parking garage. That western eyewall was incredible and I can't even imagine being in a house as you were.

The gusts were 180mph in my opinion and when they hit that speed I was watching homes and businesses disintegrate.

You and your family were truly lucky to have survived this hurricane and your story is most definitely appreciated. No one knew it was going to get that bad until 12 hours out.

Great post!
3 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

Blow_Hard
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4336 Postby Blow_Hard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 am

bob rulz wrote:There are still 46 people unaccounted for last I heard. I hope they're all simply out of range of current cell service, but sadly it's not unreasonable to think that there are still bodies in the rubble of Mexico Beach, or that some bodies were washed out to see and will never be found.

I spoke to a Policeman yesterday and he told me a gut wrenching story. He said 911 received a call during the storm from an elderly lady who said a tree had fallen on her house and killed her husband. She said she could not live without him and was going to take her own life as well. She said she was just calling them to give them her address and their names and to let them know that whenever someone could get to them they would find 2 bodies and they would know who they were. Sadly, that is exactly what they found when they were able to respond.
6 likes   

Blow_Hard
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4337 Postby Blow_Hard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 am

Rail Dawg wrote:

I was in downtown Panama City in a parking garage. That western eyewall was incredible and I can't even imagine being in a house as you were.

The gusts were 180mph in my opinion and when they hit that speed I was watching homes and businesses disintegrate.

You and your family were truly lucky to have survived this hurricane and your story is most definitely appreciated. No one knew it was going to get that bad until 12 hours out.

Great post!

You were lucky too...I had an opportunity to ride around town a little yesterday and the damage in downtown and Old St. Andrews and Cove area is catastrophic. I was in tears riding by so many homes and businesses of people I have know most of my life. I know this community is very resilient and will try to bounce back but I don't a path forward for a lot of these folks. What is so incredible is how Panama City Beach received so little damage. You can clearly see the line of demarcation between the damage east of the Hathaway Bridge (Panama City and points east ie; Tyndall AFB, Mexico Beach etc.) and the Beach itself and points westward. The Beach has 100% power and water now.

Are you still in the Panama City area?
1 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#4338 Postby bob rulz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Nightwatch wrote:

Reuters talks about 1000 missing?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-stor ... op+News%29

Or did u mean 46 unaccounted for in a certain city?

Thousand seems so imaginable...

Yeah, I have no idea. Sorry I didn't link the article, was looking on my phone at the time I read it and just glanced at it. It made it sounds like 46 unaccounted for total. I have a hard time imaging that there are still hundreds missing like this article says, but who knows what the truth is?

Either way death toll is up to 26 now, while this says only 6 people are still missing in Bay County. So I'm not sure where Reuters got that number from.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 657915002/
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#4339 Postby Ubuntwo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm

So - As many of you may know, Mark Sudduth had a camera in Mexico Beach. According to the USGS elevation map, the elevation of his camera's location was 19.44ft. It was mounted several feet up, and from what I could see there was a foot+ of inundation at this location. I'm not sure if the resolution of the elevation map allowed for exact accuracy, but if the elevation was correct, there was over 20 feet of surge in Mexico Beach.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4340 Postby Rail Dawg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Blow_Hard wrote:
Are you still in the Panama City area?

No I left after the storm as the flooding was bad and I wanted to cut trees on the access road to the north.

Tried to get to Mexico Beach in Big Truck but the water was 10 ft deep.

Worked into the night clearing the north access road until I was worn out.

Had the flooding not been so bad I would have liked to do search and rescue towards Mexico Beach. But did what I could to help then bailed.

Please keep the info coming. That was one for the record books.
1 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

Return to “2018”