S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: JERRY - Models

#241 Postby Dean4Storms » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 am

toad strangler wrote:
Dean4Storms wrote:
chris_fit wrote:12Z EPS....

The "E" members go slightly more E - The "W" members go way more W

https://i.imgur.com/dMrcKeP.png

That's the 00z run of today........ Most of the weaker members recurve and the stronger stay west. Interesting.

It makes no sense for a stronger system to track further W since they always want to move poleward unless under a strong ridge. I haven't looked at these ensembles so I can only assume the west bending solutions all show a stout ridge above Jerry and the weaker solutions must have significant weakness.

You maybe forgetting that a stronger system is steered more by the 500mb level compared to sheared weaker system which usually move with the lower level flow.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#242 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 am

Dean4Storms wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Dean4Storms wrote:
That's the 00z run of today........ Most of the weaker members recurve and the stronger stay west. Interesting.

It makes no sense for a stronger system to track further W since they always want to move poleward unless under a strong ridge. I haven't looked at these ensembles so I can only assume the west bending solutions all show a stout ridge above Jerry and the weaker solutions must have significant weakness.

You maybe forgetting that a stronger system is steered more by the 500mb level compared to sheared weaker system which usually move with the lower level flow.

Right, and that's why you would expect the weaker storm to move more W. Not the stronger storm. But like I said, I haven't reviewed the ensembles. It just seems backwards to me.
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#243 Postby Nuno » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:The western solution is looking increasingly unlikely. There appears to be too much shear in the path of the storm and the weakness seems sufficiently pronounced to facilitate a recurvature.

Agreed. I can see Jerry potentially tracking more westwards and even tracking quite closely to the islands but I just can't see how it'll escape the weakness left by Humberto.
1 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#244 Postby GrayLancer18 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:07 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:The western solution is looking increasingly unlikely. There appears to be too much shear in the path of the storm and the weakness seems sufficiently pronounced to facilitate a recurvature.

At this point it seems a 98% chance the recurve will happen unless Jerry goes through the mother of all RI to a major and drops south before the shear.
1 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.
Consult with NHC and NOAA for official forecasts and advisories.

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#245 Postby chris_fit » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am

06Z EPS

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby LarryWx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am

chris_fit wrote:06Z EPS

https://i.imgur.com/QaNK3xB.png

As this shows, only ~6 of the 51 (12%) 6Z EPS members are at hour 144 in a position based on movement then to be a CONUS threat (mainly FL/Gulf). The 0Z had about the same number actually hit the CONUS, all FL/Gulf. For now, I’m sticking with 90% chance of no CONUS threat.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#247 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:10 am

LarryWx wrote:

As this shows, only ~6 of the 51 (12%) 6Z EPS members are at hour 144 in a position based on movement then to be a CONUS threat (mainly FL/Gulf). The 0Z had about the same number actually hit the CONUS, all FL/Gulf. For now, I’m sticking with 90% chance of no CONUS threat.

Oops, I think you meant 10%
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#248 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 am

LarryWx wrote:

I'm in agreement, maybe Jerry continues a bit more WNW than before, but the system is going to turn. But ... am I the only one who is bothered about how consistently these global models get initialized too weak? The ICON for example shows that right now Jerry should be 1008 mb - and he is actually 988mb. C'mon ...
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#249 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am

And speaking of ICON .. maybe an outlier, but way, way West at 12Z.

By my rough estimate, the Monday morning position in the 6Z run was 27.1, 68.1 --- the 12Z run now shows 23.7, 74.0

Quite a move in one run. We'll see ...
0 likes   

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#250 Postby chris_fit » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:33 am

sma10 wrote:And speaking of ICON .. maybe an outlier, but way, way West at 12Z.

By my rough estimate, the Monday morning position in the 6Z run was 27.1, 68.1 --- the 12Z run now shows 23.7, 74.0

Icon Trend...

1 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#251 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:40 am

chris_fit wrote:
sma10 wrote:And speaking of ICON .. maybe an outlier, but way, way West at 12Z.

Icon Trend...

https://i.imgur.com/gXXGsfp.gif

Also keep in mind one additional tidbit about the 12Z ICON track: at NO point in the entire track, does the model show Jerry any stronger than 1006mb, even from the outset. I have no idea if that bears any significance but thought it was worth mentioning. I guess we need to see the big three now.
1 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#252 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 am

Honestly, the ICON showing a more western track just gives me more faith a track OTS is likely and, if we're lucky, Bermuda might also be able to avoid this one. I wouldn't be surprised if the NAVGEM has outperformed the ICON in terms of track.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby caneman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:54 am

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Honestly, the ICON showing a more western track just gives me more faith a track OTS is likely and, if we're lucky, Bermuda might also be able to avoid this one. I wouldn't be surprised if the NAVGEM has outperformed the ICON in terms of track.

I wouldn't say that. I was a big ICON naysayer but if memory serves me correct, it sniffed out Dorian and Humberto eventual tracks earlier on than any of the other models.
3 likes   

crm6360
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#254 Postby crm6360 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:58 am

caneman wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Honestly, the ICON showing a more western track just gives me more faith a track OTS is likely and, if we're lucky, Bermuda might also be able to avoid this one. I wouldn't be surprised if the NAVGEM has outperformed the ICON in terms of track.

I wouldn't say that. I was a big ICON naysayer but if memory serves me correct, it sniffed out Dorian and Humberto eventual tracks earlier on than any of the other models.

icon is sniffing deuces, that's about it.
1 likes   

hohnywx
Category 2
Category 2

#255 Postby hohnywx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm

caneman wrote:

ICON was just about the last model to abandon Miami-Dade as a landfall location for Dorian.
2 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#256 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm

hohnywx wrote:
caneman wrote:

ICON was just about the last model to abandon Miami-Dade as a landfall location for Dorian.

it was also one of the first to sniff out the shifts north of P.R too. Honestly, the miami idea wasn’t absolutely horrible. If the storm came only a day earlier than it did, the conditions were prime for a Florida landfall. It was well within the respectable margin of error.
Last edited by AxaltaRacing24 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#257 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm

hohnywx wrote:
caneman wrote:

It was also the first to sniff out the right of PR track and the hard left towards the Bahamas.. so yeah..
11 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#258 Postby Nimbus » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:38 pm

There is an upper level low north of Jerry that looks as though it will move out.
The ICON must be seeing the subtropical ridge differently than the rest of the models steering Jerry into the Bahamas. Definitely steaming WNW at a good clip this afternoon.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#259 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Nimbus wrote:There is an upper level low north of Jerry that looks as though it will move out.
The ICON must be seeing the subtropical ridge differently than the rest of the models steering Jerry into the Bahamas. Definitely steaming WNW at a good clip this afternoon.

Well i mentioned this yesterday. That models typically always under due how quickly ridging builds back in behind exiting TC. Happens alot
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

CreponChris
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#260 Postby CreponChris » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Oops, I think you meant 10%

I think that's the right way of putting it. He said 90% chance of it not hitting the continental US or 10% chance in other words of doing so
0 likes   

Return to “2019”