ATL: DORIAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 99L - Discussion

#61 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Dry sinking airmass will probably prevent this system from developing the euro just poofs it as it nears the islands.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:07 pm

SFLcane wrote:Dry sinking airmass will probably prevent this system from developing the euro just poofs it as it nears the islands.

The Euro had its strongest run yet, and not to mention it struggles with these small Tropical Atlantic systems.
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NikhilTri
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#63 Postby NikhilTri » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:13 pm

SFLcane wrote:Dry sinking airmass will probably prevent this system from developing the euro just poofs it as it nears the islands.

The euro happens to have completely screwed this one up so far. Not sure we should be trusting it for this particular system.
6 likes   

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#64 Postby zhukm29 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:17 pm

NikhilTri wrote:

The euro happens to have completely screwed this one up so far. Not sure we should be trusting it for this particular system.

Models shouldn't be treated as "always right" or "always wrong." Modeling tropical cyclones is a difficult process because of how complex it is, and the EURO still remains a good model even if it isn't correct 100% of the time. Every model has its successes and failures. Just because the EURO missed cyclogenesis here doesn't mean it will be complete garbage on the system from here on out.

Also note that the accuracy of the model also depends on the data it is fed in. There are many factors at play here. That being said, the GFS does have a better track record so far, so let's see if it can continue that accuracy from here on out.
1 likes   

NikhilTri
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#65 Postby NikhilTri » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 pm

zhukm29 wrote:
NikhilTri wrote:

Models shouldn't be treated as "always right" or "always wrong." Modeling tropical cyclones is a difficult process because of how complex it is, and the EURO still remains a good model even if it isn't correct 100% of the time. Every model has its successes and failures. Just because the EURO missed cyclogenesis here doesn't mean it will be complete garbage on the system from here on out.

Also note that the accuracy of the model also depends on the data it is fed in. There are many factors at play here. That being said, the GFS does have a better track record so far, so let's see if it can continue that accuracy from here on out.

Yup my point was I'd side more with the GFS with this one just because the euro seems to be playing catch up (and also because of real-time trends). The euro is still a better model overall, I was just talking about this specific situation
1 likes   

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby Visioen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 pm

abajan wrote:
northjaxpro wrote::uarrow: Yes indeed. GFS long range forecasting past 7 days has been so much.improved, not just only with the tropics, but with winter-time synoptics as well.

The GFS has definitely improved this year when compared to former years. The other day it was right on the money in showing Barbados and the Windward Islands would get rain, over a week in advance. Someone's been doing some tweaking! :lol:

GFS in former years was legacy GFS, this is FV3-GFS, so that would explain things
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Convection goes poof, though could be a sign it's separating from the ITCZ.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Hammy wrote:Convection goes poof, though could be a sign it's separating from the ITCZ.

I see a bunch of overshooting tops developing within that convective band. will see if that expands. otherwise it still looks good.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Hammy wrote:Convection goes poof, though could be a sign it's separating from the ITCZ.

Definitely needs a good overnight convective cycle to avoid falling apart. most of the ecmwf ensemble members still don't develop it.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#70 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:28 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:40 pm

This is why I wasn't sold on this developing before 98L. Separation from the ITCZ has caused many great looking disturbances to fall apart quickly, especially during diurnal cycles.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

This is why I wasn't sold on this developing before 98L. Separation from the ITCZ has caused many great looking disturbances to fall apart quickly, especially during diurnal cycles.

Hopefully this is not going to be a system that fails to develop at first, but then moves into a more favorable area and rapidly develops a little too close to land.
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:30 pm

The track of this all depends on when the ridge builds back in, could be a Caribbean cruiser if the ridge fills in faster than modeled but if the ridge takes more time to fill in this could be a big threat to the Bahamas and Florida and possibly somewhere in the GOM so anyone from all the Caribbean islands to all the Gulf states to Belize need to keep tabs on this
0 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#74 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:34 pm

99L is 99L-ing :lol:
6 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

couple big hot towers back to back in the convective band. still looking quite good.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

The path of this also depends on how fast 98L moves away before 99L gets there as if 98L is slightly slower it would Allow 99L to go north of the islands and vise Versa is possible too
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#77 Postby Dylan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

0 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#78 Postby NotSparta » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

The convection is in bad shape currently, but there isn't much saying it's dry or stable air. It seems more that it's separating from the ITCZ
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#79 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Satellite imagery suggests that the circulation associated with an
area of low pressure located about 1100 miles east-southeast of
the Windward Islands has become better defined, but the thunderstorm
activity is limited at this time. Environmental conditions appear
conducive for additional development, and a tropical depression is
likely to form over the weekend or early next week while it moves
generally westward to west-northwestward near 15 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby Kazmit » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 pm

They still increased the chances for development... my guess is that the decrease in convection is only temporary.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2019”