ATL: DORIAN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: DORIAN - Models

#6081 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Models havent nailed anything...they are only adjusting to what doesnt happen. How can you say models know anything when 2 days ago they showed the storm being on land in florida??

My employer specifically shut its doors tommorrow because the forecast had it over our heads tonight..models were way wrong. Now they wanna extend the stall out another 12 hours when they never showed any at all before yesterday : :roll:

"Oh but the 6z showed it"....yeah after it decelerated to 4mph

That's a little over the top don't you think?

Euro 12Z Friday August 30th showed the stall. The paid 6 hour plots showed it better. This was after all the upper air data had been ingested.

Current link (which will expire in a week)
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=atl&pkg=uv850_vort&runtime=2019083012&fh=36

Saved Image

You could have looked this up yourself. I'll take that level of model accuracy, it's about the best you can expect. Since then the Euro has been showing the stall every run, but maybe it's not obvious on the 24 hour public plots.
8 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#6082 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:33 pm

tolakram wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Models havent nailed anything...they are only adjusting to what doesnt happen. How can you say models know anything when 2 days ago they showed the storm being on land in florida??

My employer specifically shut its doors tommorrow because the forecast had it over our heads tonight..models were way wrong. Now they wanna extend the stall out another 12 hours when they never showed any at all before yesterday : :roll:

That's a little over the top don't you think?

Euro 12Z Friday August 30th showed the stall. The paid 6 hour plots showed it better. This was after all the upper air data had been ingested.

Current link (which will expire in a week)
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=atl&pkg=uv850_vort&runtime=2019083012&fh=36

Saved Image
https://i.imgur.com/oSrGz8J.gif

You could have looked this up yourself. I'll take that level of model accuracy, it's about the best you can expect. Since then the Euro has been showing the stall every run, but maybe it's not obvious on the 24 hour public plots.

Something feels wrong. Keep a clear eye until it lifts.
Last edited by tolakram on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed quotes
2 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6083 Postby sponger » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:33 pm

HDGator wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
toad strangler wrote:Stall or major slowing began to appear on late Thursday .... or there about. Honestly I’m stunned at how well this has played out.

Even last night people were freaking out thinking the 5 mph would continue. And then it just stopped.

I'll put my hand up for that. Being right in line with the beast still marching west at 5mph and only 100nm from your home is a bit unnerving.
I stayed up until the stall was verified.
After sitting here all day only 90nm due west from the center of devastion east of me; it's still a bit surreal.

Most amazing thing I have ever seen was that dead stop.
8 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6084 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Was doing model comparison, the Euro besides being a little west biased at the present time is the only model that has been persistent in Dorian remaining stationary near Grand Bahama through early tomorrow morning while the rest have been showing it move out of the area faster than reality.
3 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#6085 Postby ROCK » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 pm

NHC weighs their forecasts heavily on the EURO and the UKMET. There are the models I have the most confidence in...oh and I like the NOGAPS / Navgem as does Mr Masters :lol: :lol:
1 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6086 Postby CronkPSU » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 pm

can anyone post the 0z GFS?
0 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

Duke95
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6087 Postby Duke95 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
MacTavish wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
Even last night people were freaking out thinking the 5 mph would continue. And then it just stopped.

People were almost ready to discredit the official forecast yesterday when it was a few miles off track.. Today.. Crickets.

That being said its not over yet.

Models havent nailed anything...they are only adjusting to what doesnt happen. How can you say models know anything when 2 days ago they showed the storm being on land in florida??

More I look at it, the models totally nailed it. Guess you just weren’t paying attention. https://i.ibb.co/Rv5vVgV/ecmwf-dorian05l-atlantic-90.png
7 likes   

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6088 Postby HDGator » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 pm

Duke95 wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
MacTavish wrote:
People were almost ready to discredit the official forecast yesterday when it was a few miles off track.. Today.. Crickets.

That being said its not over yet.

Models havent nailed anything...they are only adjusting to what doesnt happen. How can you say models know anything when 2 days ago they showed the storm being on land in florida??

More I look at it, the models totally nailed it. Guess you just weren’t paying attention. https://i.ibb.co/Rv5vVgV/ecmwf-dorian05l-atlantic-90.png

I was paying attention, having been and still sitting 90nm west of the center of the storm. The 'models' didn't "totally nail it". The Euro and ensembles wandered with the rest with total destruction riding on the balance.
Until the complete stall happened, nobody knew for sure how the drop in steering and stall for the lift out by a descending trough would exactly happen.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Mattda59
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6089 Postby Mattda59 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:20 pm

CronkPSU wrote:can anyone post the 0z GFS?

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/
2 likes   

watsx2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6090 Postby watsx2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Hi everyone....yes Im a noobie. But I have a question. With the eye starting to wobble, and impossible to "forecast"....could the wobble or jump movement be enough to change any model significantly? Miles? Or no?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
0 likes   

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6091 Postby HDGator » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 pm

watsx2 wrote:Hi everyone....yes Im a noobie. But I have a question. With the eye starting to wobble, and impossible to "forecast"....could the wobble or jump movement be enough to change any model significantly? Miles? Or no?

The 'wobbles' in strong storms don't typically change the long term forecast or model tracks. They can change very short term effects that depend on the location of an eyewall but don't typically change the course of the storm.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

watsx2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: RE: Re: ATL: DORIAN - Models

#6092 Postby watsx2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 pm

HDGator wrote:
watsx2 wrote:Hi everyone....yes Im a noobie. But I have a question. With the eye starting to wobble, and impossible to "forecast"....could the wobble or jump movement be enough to change any model significantly? Miles? Or no?

The 'wobbles' in strong storms don't typically change the long term forecast or model tracks. They can change very short term effects that depend on the location of an eyewall but don't typically change the course of the storm.
Thanks.....thought I would ask.

0 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#6093 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:43 pm

0z GFS looks very identical to the past couple runs. Gets it close to Florida, right on the coast of NC and then takes it up past New England and landfalls in Nova Scotia.

0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6094 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks for sharing TheDreamTraveler. I for one appreciate that somebody is keeping this thread alive with new relevant content. People from the Carolinas northward still need to keep a close eye on Dorian.
5 likes   

watsx2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6095 Postby watsx2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:11 am

Im still here also....I would like to give props to everyone for the last 2 days.....its been very informative and was/is great about staying on the focal point of where this thing was headed. On a side note.....I just learned Dorian means a catastrophic even in music....fitting name for this one.

5 likes   

watsx2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6096 Postby watsx2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:12 am

Event***

0 likes   

watsx2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6097 Postby watsx2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 am

The models didnt predict Dorian at a 3 this early....when it starts moving again over the warm waters will it intensify again?

1 likes   

drewschmaltz
Category 1
Category 1

#6098 Postby drewschmaltz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:59 am

ECMWF a little further east.
0 likes   
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. PLEASE CONSULT SOMEONE WHO DOES. START WITH THE NHC. ALL POSTS ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#6099 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:02 am

Good news for FL. The 0Z Euro is further offshore than prior runs.
Last edited by LarryWx on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

rigbyrigz
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6100 Postby rigbyrigz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 am

While it's a bit slow here (like Dorian?) permit me to say that the combination of models and posted comments and analysis here formed a pretty good basis for me to advise my aged stepmother in Ft. Lauderdale about 2.5 miles inland to stay put. (Thus far.)

She doesn't cotton to TV (or the news) and ever since my sister followed authorities advice to evacuate her middle Keys home in 1998 for Georges, only to be kept away for more than a week with 3 dogs in a station wagon (while the home escaped much of anything - the forced absence was a bit worse)… Mom doesn't follow their advice too eagerly either.

This amuses me; tonight as I confirmed for Mom she should still be fine, she whined: "but these nasty squalls, I'm so tired of them wish they would stop!". If she only knew how close she was to "real" Nasty!
Last edited by rigbyrigz on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2019”