ATL: HANNA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: EIGHT - Models

#81 Postby HurricaneBrain » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:11 am

I found that weird also. Same thing with the TS watches... notice how there’s TS watches well south/west (down the TX coast) of the three day cone but none north/east (up the TX coast) of the three day cone. You’d think it’d be opposite. Same with the rainfall estimates as you pointed out.
Cpv17 wrote:Strange to see how the NHC has landfall near Matagorda Bay and the heaviest qpf by far is over STX on the models. Hardly anything north and east of the center.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:17 am

HurricaneBrain wrote:I found that weird also. Same thing with the TS watches... notice how there’s TS watches well south/west (down the TX coast) of the three day cone but none north/east (up the TX coast) of the three day cone. You’d think it’d be opposite. Same with the rainfall estimates as you pointed out.
Cpv17 wrote:Strange to see how the NHC has landfall near Matagorda Bay and the heaviest qpf by far is over STX on the models. Hardly anything north and east of the center.

A lot of times, yeah. But look at the upper pattern. It won’t have a choice. It is bend west.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 am

Steve wrote:
HurricaneBrain wrote:I found that weird also. Same thing with the TS watches... notice how there’s TS watches well south/west (down the TX coast) of the three day cone but none north/east (up the TX coast) of the three day cone. You’d think it’d be opposite. Same with the rainfall estimates as you pointed out.

A lot of times, yeah. But look at the upper pattern. It won’t have a choice. It is bend west.

Yeah I get the bend west but typically the north and east side of a tc is the dirty side. Looks flipped around with this one with the south and west side being the dirty side.
2 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#84 Postby jasons2k » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 am

What amazes me about the models is the gradient along the coast. Look at it, on all those runs. You could take away the land features from the map, and tell someone to trace the Gulf coastline from Appalachee Bay across o Matagorda Bay just based off of the rainfall 'wall' or cutoff along the coast, and you'd have a pretty accurate map of the northern Gulf Coast.
5 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#85 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:43 am

Cpv17 wrote:
Steve wrote:

Yeah I get the bend west but typically the north and east side of a tc is the dirty side. Looks flipped around with this one with the south and west side being the dirty side.

I believe it's due to the southeasterly to easterly flow aloft caused by the upper-level low over the Bay of Campeche. Interesting to note, that's for sure.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby HurricaneBrain » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 am

NHC TS wind speed probability map is more favorable toward mid/upper TX coast than STX coast. Even without that graphic, I’m fully expecting watches to be issued tomorrow up toward Sabine Pass.
Steve wrote:

0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#87 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 am

6z HWRF and HMON are coming in much stronger and a bit farther north this run. I wonder if they are initializing a bit better than the global models (especially since TD Eight looks pretty healthy on satellite this morning).
3 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby xironman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 am

HMON has a hurricane, the data from yesterdays flight couldn't have hurt.
3 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#89 Postby jconsor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:51 am

Five out of 20 members of the CTCX ensemble (COAMPS Navy model initialized with GFS conditions) make this into a hurricane before landfall:

4 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby stormlover2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:05 am

Stronger the storm more north, weaker it is will stay more south
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby aspen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:07 am

Imagine this becomes the season’s first hurricane and Gonzalo doesn’t. It is in a slightly more favorable environment where the biggest limiting factor is time, no SAL or shear.

HMON and HWRF are the only major models that bring this to hurricane intensity, or at least close to it. The rest of the global models remain weak with this.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

dantonlsu
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#92 Postby dantonlsu » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:27 am

Looks like a shift north on a coupler of these..
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:39 am

dantonlsu wrote:Looks like a shift north on a coupler of these..

The 6z mesoscales I looked at bring it up pretty far north and then seem to want to ride it down the TX Coast. That's an atypical track, and I'm not sure if it's just because it's near the southern edge of their range or if the system wants to stay offshore and ride the coast or if it's some kind of loop before the push comes in and pushes it off to the west. 12Z stuff should be out over the next couple of hours. I'm also interested to see if ICON or GFS still wants to bring up a second spin a little farther east early in the week. ICON has it for the second run. Maybe there's just a weakness there or possibly some energy that doesn't spin, I don't know.

That's valid 1am Tuesday morning. Again, I don't know.
0 likes   

lovingseason2013
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#94 Postby lovingseason2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:16 am

What is that Feature over Pensacola Area?

Steve wrote:

The 6z mesoscales I looked at bring it up pretty far north and then seem to want to ride it down the TX Coast. That's an atypical track, and I'm not sure if it's just because it's near the southern edge of their range or if the system wants to stay offshore and ride the coast or if it's some kind of loop before the push comes in and pushes it off to the west. 12Z stuff should be out over the next couple of hours. I'm also interested to see if ICON or GFS still wants to bring up a second spin a little farther east early in the week. ICON has it for the second run. Maybe there's just a weakness there or possibly some energy that doesn't spin, I don't know.

https://i.imgur.com/c4RHwn6.png

0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am

lovingseason2013 wrote:What is that Feature over Pensacola Area?

Steve wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/c4RHwn6.png

I don't know. It's either leftover energy from 8 or it's something else coming up or backing over (possibly a piece of a trough?). We'll see if it's still on the 12z runs for anything.
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby plasticup » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:42 am

aspen wrote:Imagine this becomes the season’s first hurricane and Gonzalo doesn’t. It is in a slightly more favorable environment where the biggest limiting factor is time, no SAL or shear.

HMON and HWRF are the only major models that bring this to hurricane intensity, or at least close to it. The rest of the global models remain weak with this.

I think Gonzalo already was. But yeah, now I think this storm has a better chance at getting the label. Wouldn't have said that 24 hours ago!
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby Steve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:55 am

ICON still has the weak rotation hitting Bay County early Tuesday morning.

It also brings up a little feature from the Caribbean at the end of the run next Thursday night.
0 likes   

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#98 Postby Extratropical94 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 am

plasticup wrote:
aspen wrote:Imagine this becomes the season’s first hurricane and Gonzalo doesn’t. It is in a slightly more favorable environment where the biggest limiting factor is time, no SAL or shear.

I think Gonzalo already was. But yeah, now I think this storm has a better chance at getting the label. Wouldn't have said that 24 hours ago!

I'd rather have future Josephine (or any storm after that) become our first cane and steal the "highest number of consecutive named storms before the first hurricane of the season" record from 2011.
0 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby plasticup » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Extratropical94 wrote:
plasticup wrote:

I'd rather have future Josephine (or any storm after that) become our first cane and steal the "highest number of consecutive named storms before the first hurricane of the season" record from 2011.

Ah, yes, that famous record! :roflmao:
2 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#100 Postby davidiowx » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Looks like the 12z HWRF initialized well and this takes it straight into Rockport area.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”