Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: CRISTOBAL - Models

#641 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:14 pm

18z euro weak broad and dry air all the way to landfall
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#642 Postby robbielyn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:18z euro weak broad and dry air all the way to landfall

Looking at it right now you can see thebdry air entrainment it's quite dry here in Hernando county. Rain was in South Florida but it's bone dry up this way it never materialized
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#643 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm

robbielyn wrote:

Looking at it right now you can see thebdry air entrainment it's quite dry here in Hernando county. Rain was in South Florida but it's bone dry up this way it never materialized

robbielyn, if you have the access and get the chance to check, can you get the max rainfall totals and where they are? The dry scenario seems like a lot of 2-4" to the east, but I'm curious where the European is putting it.
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#644 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:01 pm

GOM is like a desert and it makes sense that the 18z stays weak. This thing has ingested a ton of dry air and it is showing on IR.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#645 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:32 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

GOM is like a desert and it makes sense that the 18z stays weak. This thing has ingested a ton of dry air and it is showing on IR.

See GCANE's post in the discussion thread. It's definitely dry, but maybe not as dry as it could be. Also, as MSwx pointed out, that mesoscale complex or boundaries from the trough or whatever are coming down. It's more energy to add to the mix. If you look at the WV and check out the NW Gulf, the upper levels have changed drastically since this morning. I'm assuming it will be similar in the mid-levels though obviously not super juicy. The whole west side of the Gulf was yellow this morning.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES1 ... 0x1000.gif
1 likes   

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#646 Postby robbielyn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:47 pm

Steve wrote:
robbielyn wrote:

robbielyn, if you have the access and get the chance to check, can you get the max rainfall totals and where they are? The dry scenario seems like a lot of 2-4" to the east, but I'm curious where the European is putting it.

I'm sorry I don't hv access Maybe Aric can post that for u. My area 4-5" Appalach to PC on coast 5-8" south of me to port Charlotte 2-3" south of there 1-2". Butt that's not euro. I saw a map with these also on twitter
1 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#647 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 pm

I totally missed the HMON totally bombing this out after landfall once the storm hits the high latitudes. That'd be a heck of a storm. :eek:
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#648 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:08 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I totally missed the HMON totally bombing this out after landfall once the storm hits the high latitudes. That'd be a heck of a storm. :eek:

960's so way deeper in the higher latitudes than the Gulf.
1 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#649 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Zero rain today here in Miami, but gust winds.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#650 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm

NAM 3k shows why it does have some value. I think it was the last GFS that showed the heavy rain across Perry and toward Lake City and all. That setup shows up really well on the 3k regardless of what it otherwise comes up with.

Anyway, NAM 3k caught up with all the other models and looks to landfall at Grand Isle in 48 hours. Unlike prior runs, there is an inner core band that takes shape around landfall that looks to knock down a few trees. Look out SELA and southern MS if this happens.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0600&fh=48

FWIW to Wisconsin, the NAM 12k shows it approaching and like Professor said about the HMON, much deeper north.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 60600&fh=0
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#651 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Pretty tight blend between the 18/00z models on a hit in Terrebone Parish around Dulac/Dularge and all those areas.

https://my.sfwmd.gov/dbhydroplsql/dbhyd ... rm_display
0 likes   

Wx_Warrior
Category 5
Category 5

#652 Postby Wx_Warrior » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:53 pm

GFS 0z

1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#653 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:19 pm

It’s a bit farther west than the consensus was a bit ago. Idk if it will hit or not. Monday it hit SETX which isn’t that bad considering. Tuesday 00z it hit Vermilion Bay which wouldn’t be considered bad 5 days out considering it’s maybe 100 miles if that. I’m sure it had some rogue runs and I’m not a big defender.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#654 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:33 pm

Here’s some more models that have run

Canadian shifted east to a landfall around Venice or Port Sulphur from the south. Most of the heaviest rain is focused on the FL Panhandle and southern GA. It moved the Perry corridor 50-100 miles west and now the foot of rain is Walton and Bay Counties and points north and east. Canadian has been the one model out of the globals that has been signaling the most rainfall. Who knows if that’s going to be right, but it’s something to remember for future storms if it ends up being right or completely off in terms of precipitation more so than if it hits the right target areas.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0600&fh=72

Icon is plausible. It has a burst at landfall smacking New Orleans, the MGC and St Tammany.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 60600&fh=6
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#655 Postby Hammy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:47 pm

I have to say after looking at the cloud presentation forecast on the NAM it's amazing how well the GFS forecast this to play out like this on an almost consistent basis for 10-15 days beforehand.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#656 Postby Steve » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:04 am

HMON is wild. It’s the psyclone yclone cinnamon roll run with all the heavy rainfall far out in front of the storm. While that’s possible and maybe even probable, it’s not likely to be otherwise as devoid of rain. HWRF then EC then a good nights sleep so I can get it this weekend. Low cumulus clouds are starting to move in from the East so we are getting close.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#657 Postby Steve » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:09 am

HWRF at 48 is similar to the HMON. It hits grand isle with most of the rain in advance but with some mega dry slot between that and the core. MS and AL coasts get the worst of it with this model.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0600&fh=48
0 likes   

La Breeze
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#658 Postby La Breeze » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:13 am

Why are the models shifting more and more east? I thought that there was a high pressure to the east that would keep the storm north and then a turn to the northwest. Could it be that it emerged from the Yucatan further east than was expected initially? Just wondering...
0 likes   
Not a professional forecast by any means.
Audrey'57, Hilda'64, Betsy '65, Edith'71, Carmen'74, Danny'85, Juan'85, Andrew'92, Iniki'92 (while on vacation in Kauai), Lili'02, Rita'05, Humberto'07, Gustav'08, Ike'08, Isaac'12, Monsoonal Depression'16, Harvey'17, Barry'19, Laura'20, Delta'20, Ida'21.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#659 Postby Steve » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:20 am

La Breeze wrote:Why are the models shifting more and more east? I thought that there was a high pressure to the east that would keep the storm north and then a turn to the northwest. Could it be that it emerged from the Yucatan further east than was expected initially? Just wondering...

I don't think they are overall. If you look at SFWMD or other favorite spaghetti plot site, the focus is on Terrebonne Bay or so.
https://www.sfwmd.gov/weather-radar/hur ... odel-plots
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#660 Postby stormlover2013 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 am

Euro shifted west
0 likes   

Return to “2020”