Not sure I've ever read similar verbiage as that in any other discussion. :D
3 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: THREE - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#262 Postby psyclone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 pm

Steve wrote:
Dean4Storms wrote:The heaviest rainfall from the GFS 18z run was over the FL Panhandle upwards of 14 inches. The key to this storm and who it effects will be when the westward turn occurs, how far north the system has tracked and how far eastward it is in longitude. Many more model runs to come and much yet to be determined!

Maybe. Jason mentioned 1998 Frances a while back having flooded him in Houston. Frances was off the coast of Corpus Christi, so not very far north, and flooded the **** out of New Orleans as I also got stuck on a neutral ground for about 6 hours trying to wait out the flooding. To me, it's the size and structure that will matter. It doesn't appear that anything that does form is going to race off to to northeast. And if it doesn't get super strong (e.g. Cat 2 or 3), expect the majority of the rainfall to be in east side feeder moisture as you said. I don't envision one of those super sloppy storms where the center keeps reforming - at least not once it's established. So how does the inflow banding set up? Will it be majority South to North bands because if so, those are the ones that will flood people out. As you know from where you are on the coast, if the bands are just rotating through, you get those brief downpours and gusts then a break. But if they're oriented N-S, you know that anyone from Lafayette and possibly as eastward as Panama City or so could be under prolonged deluges if the system is spinning off the TX Coast. Obviously, it's all hypothetical. I don't expect much resolution until late Wednesday or Thursday. Will impulses/lows keep rotating around the "gyre"? Will one take over and break out of that breeding ground? Definitely much more to be determined like you said.

I think this makes sense. Our system looks really good (especially by early June standards). there's a good possibility the high qpf depicted on the florida west coast is a byproduct of high PWAT air and southeasterlies stacking up afternoon convection on the west coast over multiple days...In other words our normal rainy season pattern on steroids. we can really pay rent in such a setup and still remain well east of the eventual storm track.
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#263 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:52 pm

I am still not buying the potential of TD 3 diving back down into Mexico, dying out with another system developing near the northern coast of the Yucatan P from another vorticity rotating around. Like I mentioned before, I don't ever recall seeing that before.
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#264 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:01 pm

psyclone wrote:
Steve wrote:
Dean4Storms wrote:The heaviest rainfall from the GFS 18z run was over the FL Panhandle upwards of 14 inches. The key to this storm and who it effects will be when the westward turn occurs, how far north the system has tracked and how far eastward it is in longitude. Many more model runs to come and much yet to be determined!

Maybe. Jason mentioned 1998 Frances a while back having flooded him in Houston. Frances was off the coast of Corpus Christi, so not very far north, and flooded the **** out of New Orleans as I also got stuck on a neutral ground for about 6 hours trying to wait out the flooding. To me, it's the size and structure that will matter. It doesn't appear that anything that does form is going to race off to to northeast. And if it doesn't get super strong (e.g. Cat 2 or 3), expect the majority of the rainfall to be in east side feeder moisture as you said. I don't envision one of those super sloppy storms where the center keeps reforming - at least not once it's established. So how does the inflow banding set up? Will it be majority South to North bands because if so, those are the ones that will flood people out. As you know from where you are on the coast, if the bands are just rotating through, you get those brief downpours and gusts then a break. But if they're oriented N-S, you know that anyone from Lafayette and possibly as eastward as Panama City or so could be under prolonged deluges if the system is spinning off the TX Coast. Obviously, it's all hypothetical. I don't expect much resolution until late Wednesday or Thursday. Will impulses/lows keep rotating around the "gyre"? Will one take over and break out of that breeding ground? Definitely much more to be determined like you said.

I think this makes sense. Our system looks really good (especially by early June standards). there's a good possibility the high qpf depicted on the florida west coast is a byproduct of high PWAT air and southeasterlies stacking up afternoon convection on the west coast over multiple days...In other words our normal rainy season pattern on steroids. we can really pay rent in such a setup and still remain well east of the eventual storm track.

The FL West Coast though could certainly be under a lot of tropical feeder moisture if the system doesn't get too organized early and moves out toward the middle of the Gulf for a while like some of the models have indicated. WC FL could find themselves in a situation with eastern side feeder moisture as well as a connection to the Caribbean which obviously could lead to some 5-7" totals depending on how it lines up. Again, that's just in the scenario I was talking about. Several options are on the table including a stronger storm that could consolidate as it moved north and take most of the rainfall on its path.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#265 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 pm

NDG wrote:I am still not buying the potential of TD 3 diving back down into Mexico, dying out with another system developing near the northern coast of the Yucatan P from another vorticity rotating around. Like I mentioned before, I don't ever recall seeing that before.

We've seen gyres be breeding grounds for multiple storms in the past. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. Seems to me that we don't usually get this type of setup in Early June - more like the EPAC season and closer to around the Mexican Riviera. Beven noted the possibility in the 10pm Discussion, so the NHC is acknowledging it might happen. I don't think you can rule it out yet.
1 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#266 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:08 pm

Sure would be very fitting for 2020 if the gyre did spit another one out and we're at Dolly on the first week of hurricane season
5 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#267 Postby Blinhart » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:17 pm

panamatropicwatch wrote:I was surprised by one of our local meteorologists tonight when he said this system is not going to hit the panhandle and going to turn west. He is counting on a blocking high to our northeast to turn it west. He might be right but I think he stuck his neck out a little to calm people down in the panhandle after Hurricane Michael. I really think it is a little too early in the game to be making blanket statements.

Not much of a stretch, most models say that the panhandle is not under the gun with this one.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#268 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:

yeah I mentioned this very thing in the model thread several hours ago..

it is very important..

Yep, here's the EC ensembles forecast for 06z, based on the latest Fix at 03z we can scratch out the ones on the western envelope.

2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#269 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 pm

Blinhart wrote:
panamatropicwatch wrote:I was surprised by one of our local meteorologists tonight when he said this system is not going to hit the panhandle and going to turn west. He is counting on a blocking high to our northeast to turn it west. He might be right but I think he stuck his neck out a little to calm people down in the panhandle after Hurricane Michael. I really think it is a little too early in the game to be making blanket statements.

Not much of a stretch, most models say that the panhandle is not under the gun with this one.

Maybe this far out landfall doesn't look that likely there, but like Dean was saying, they could get some of the worst rainfall totals. Same goes for Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana <-- again depending on structure, size and organization.
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#270 Postby Blinhart » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Steve wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

Maybe this far out landfall doesn't look that likely there, but like Dean was saying, they could get some of the worst rainfall totals. Same goes for Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana <-- again depending on structure, size and organization.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure the meteorologist was talking about the landfall of Cristobal, now for rainfall everyone along the Gulfcoast could be under a lot of rain for the next week or so.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#271 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 pm

NDG wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

yeah I mentioned this very thing in the model thread several hours ago..

it is very important..

Yep, here's the EC ensembles forecast for 06z, based on the latest Fix at 03z we can scratch out the ones on the western envelope.

https://i.imgur.com/tG2BF9C.jpg
ukmet is the only one and icon sort of..

And on radar its slightly farther east.

And the other thing is.. it shoukd be moving west at a decent clip right now too per the models... but it has barely moved all day.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

La Breeze
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#272 Postby La Breeze » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 pm

SoupBone wrote:
jasons2k wrote:
La Breeze wrote:Ah, ok, got it.

Pretty sure he meant a "left" turn as the high builds in...

Yeah I apologize. When I said right turn I meant from a bird's eye view. It's like a car driving west then takes a right (north) turn into East Texas in a previous model run. It rides the corner of the high.

No prob. I just thought that I missed something.
0 likes   
Not a professional forecast by any means.
Audrey'57, Hilda'64, Betsy '65, Edith'71, Carmen'74, Danny'85, Juan'85, Andrew'92, Iniki'92 (while on vacation in Kauai), Lili'02, Rita'05, Humberto'07, Gustav'08, Ike'08, Isaac'12, Monsoonal Depression'16, Harvey'17, Barry'19, Laura'20, Delta'20, Ida'21.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#273 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 pm

my weather office here in miami watching in case it have more east track that shoiw by gfs here what miami weather office say Currently, the GFS is the slightly faster and more eastern solution.The latest run depicts the low emerging a bit closer to the western coast of South Florida and dragging a deeper pool of moisture (PWATS sooo whole gulf coast from sw fl to southern gulf state texas this not going easy system to track
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#274 Postby Astromanía » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Tabasco, Campeche, Veracruz and Chiapas are being affected by torrential rain right now, how much time this thing is gonna stay close to the mexican coast before go away? It is possible that makes landfall as a tropical storm in México after all?
1 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#275 Postby Hurricane Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 pm

Anyone else thinking that there will be a center re-location? That convection blob (possibly the mid-level remnants of Amanda) are really firing over the middle of the Yucatan Peninsula.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#276 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 pm

Astromanía wrote:Tabasco, Campeche, Veracruz and Chiapas are being affected by torrential rain right now, how much time this thing is gonna stay close to the mexican coast before go away? It is possible that makes landfall as a tropical storm in México after all?

Looks like 80-90 hours or so. So maybe 3 1/2 days?
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#277 Postby Shell Mound » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 am

0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#278 Postby Astromanía » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:34 am

Steve wrote:
Astromanía wrote:Tabasco, Campeche, Veracruz and Chiapas are being affected by torrential rain right now, how much time this thing is gonna stay close to the mexican coast before go away? It is possible that makes landfall as a tropical storm in México after all?

Looks like 80-90 hours or so. So maybe 3 1/2 days?

Ugh, not good, that's not a place you want a flooding to affect for a lot of time in México, I'm afraid this thing will cause much economic damage and many lives will be Lost.
0 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#279 Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:03 am

0 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#280 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:50 am

It has moved very little in the last 12 hours. Models will respond to this soon.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Return to “2020”