ATL: ISAIAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: ISAIAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#5641 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:57 am

I think Isaias gets retired. From what I have been reading it has done significant damage up in the Northeast and is right up there with some of their other notable storms. Coupled with that and the damage it did in NC, the fact that it effected almost everyone on the eastern seaboard of the US, and the fact it was a pretty prolific tornado producer (at least one of those deadly in NC) it has a pretty strong case. Would be surprised to see this name used again.
4 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5642 Postby zhukm29 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 am

How does Isaias compare to Isaac 2012? Isaac 2012 wasn't retired despite the destruction it caused. Also, we're seriously low on "I" names, and this would be the third consecutive "I" retirement on list 6 if Isaias goes...
1 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#5643 Postby weathaguyry » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 am

That was some pretty hefty wind yesterday here on Long Island, there were a few gusts around 60-70mph that really shook the house. Thank goodness the core of maximum winds hit the NYC area during low tide, this could’ve been a much larger problem if the maximum winds coincided with high tide. However, I feel uncomfortable that we have already had Fay and Isaias in our area and it’s only August 5th. A storm taking the same track as Isaias in a month could be far more destructive, so definitely something to watch out for.
2 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#5644 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 am

SouthFLTropics wrote:Got a feeling this thread is going to be a really long one. Let the games begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got it right.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Do_For_Love
Category 1
Category 1

#5645 Postby Do_For_Love » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 am

HurricaneEnzo wrote:I think Isaias gets retired. From what I have been reading it has done significant damage up in the Northeast and is right up there with some of their other notable storms. Coupled with that and the damage it did in NC, the fact that it effected almost everyone on the eastern seaboard of the US, and the fact it was a pretty prolific tornado producer (at least one of those deadly in NC) it has a pretty strong case. Would be surprised to see this name used again.

Very good points. I posted yesterday about my feelings that it was a prolific storm for this area, and many others around here agree. A lot of people I know closely were effected through flooding, trees down, power outages, road blockages, etc. This was a bad storm and I think Isaias deserves to have its jersey retired, lol.
3 likes   
Irene '11, Sandy '12, Fay '20, Isaias '20, Ida '21

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5646 Postby Jr0d » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:29 pm

As what was posted earlier, if another storm or two comes through that is signficantly worse, Isaias wont be retired. 1996 with Bertha in NC which was bad, followed by Fran which was worse...is a good example.

We are not even close to the peak of the season and tge US has already had billions in damages(not official yet, but I think it is safe to say Isaias caused over a billion in damages). That is an alarming statistic!
4 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#5647 Postby mitchell » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm

HurricaneEnzo wrote:I think Isaias gets retired. From what I have been reading it has done significant damage up in the Northeast and is right up there with some of their other notable storms. Coupled with that and the damage it did in NC, the fact that it effected almost everyone on the eastern seaboard of the US, and the fact it was a pretty prolific tornado producer (at least one of those deadly in NC) it has a pretty strong case. Would be surprised to see this name used again.

At least one tornado related death in Delaware as well.

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/isaias-turns-deadly/

Reporting that Isaias has claimed 9 lives in the US.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/05/tropical-storm-isaias-updates-power-outages-death-toll/3297167001/
1 likes   

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#5648 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Bertie Country NC tornado was just officially rated an EF3! Wow!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wnct.c ... ounty/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
4 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5649 Postby SecondBreakfast » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:25 pm

weathaguyry wrote:That was some pretty hefty wind yesterday here on Long Island, there were a few gusts around 60-70mph that really shook the house. Thank goodness the core of maximum winds hit the NYC area during low tide, this could’ve been a much larger problem if the maximum winds coincided with high tide. However, I feel uncomfortable that we have already had Fay and Isaias in our area and it’s only August 5th. A storm taking the same track as Isaias in a month could be far more destructive, so definitely something to watch out for.

Two families in my town had to be evacuated when a tree fell on their houses mid-storm and caused significant structural damage. I’m worried many of the trees that have sustained damage but didn’t come all the way down if we take another hit this season. I’ve got some widow maker limbs on my front tree that I notified the town about this morning. We still have all of August and September. A nor'easter later this fall or winter could be catastrophic.
2 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

syfr
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: ISAIAS - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#5650 Postby syfr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Jr0d wrote:Gotta preserve the "I" names anyway!

Yeah, they're down to the point of having to make them up as it is!

Trivia question: Has there ever been a Cat 1 storm whose name was "retired"?
2 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, I'm an electronics engineer. While I can probably fix your toaster oven, you're not going to learn about storms from me!

New Mexico had no hurricanes. Then I moved to NC right before Fran.....

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5651 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:54 pm

syfr wrote:

Agnes, Klaus, Cesar, Stan, Noel, Ingrid, Nate.
6 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5652 Postby aspen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Reception across town has been terrible due to Isaias. I’ve only briefly been able to access the Internet, enough to see CSU’s incredibly aggressive season estimates.

Roughly half of my town is out of power. The mayor has declared a state of emergency, and it could take up to a few weeks for everything to be restored. This was far worse than Fay and close to the impacts of Sandy, but not quite as bad as the May 2018 Derecho.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#5653 Postby Craters » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:43 pm

syfr wrote:

Allison in 2001 was just a tropical storm -- never became a hurricane, but its name was retired. I don't know if that counts or not...
1 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5654 Postby Jr0d » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:04 am

syfr wrote:

I am being miss quoted here!

If anything, they may eventually have to use a female I name for the list. Storms are usually in boy-girl-boy or girl-boy-girl order.

There are many more female 'I' names to work with.
Last edited by Jr0d on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#5655 Postby Nimbus » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:52 am

SecondBreakfast wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:That was some pretty hefty wind yesterday here on Long Island, there were a few gusts around 60-70mph that really shook the house. Thank goodness the core of maximum winds hit the NYC area during low tide, this could’ve been a much larger problem if the maximum winds coincided with high tide. However, I feel uncomfortable that we have already had Fay and Isaias in our area and it’s only August 5th. A storm taking the same track as Isaias in a month could be far more destructive, so definitely something to watch out for.

Two families in my town had to be evacuated when a tree fell on their houses mid-storm and caused significant structural damage. I’m worried many of the trees that have sustained damage but didn’t come all the way down if we take another hit this season. I’ve got some widow maker limbs on my front tree that I notified the town about this morning. We still have all of August and September. A nor'easter later this fall or winter could be catastrophic.

Media has been keeping the storm damage out of the headlines.
So I guess the watchers on Storm2k, decided Isaiah11 should be retired, the next "I" storm name be "Irut" .
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#5656 Postby weathaguyry » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 pm

Many roads are still closed in my town and many of the traffic lights are not working. I can still hear the sound of generators humming all around, definitely wasn’t expecting this amount of damage here from Isaias.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5657 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:30 pm

weathaguyry wrote:Many roads are still closed in my town and many of the traffic lights are not working. I can still hear the sound of generators humming all around, definitely wasn’t expecting this amount of damage here from Isaias.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I hope things improve soon. :sun:

I still remember the mess Arthur 2014 made of my area (including the nearby towns of Calais and St. Stephen) and a week without steady power. It wasn't a fun experience. :cry:
1 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#5658 Postby Nuno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am

Isaias, like Imelda, should not be retired. There is a big difference in retiring storm names that do catastrophic damage and result in a large loss of like ala Dorian.

Urban density continues to increase, the parameters for retirement have to shift. ALL cyclones do damage at landfall guys, we can't just retire every storm that impacts the coast. Trees come down, roofs get damaged, yeah. Thats what cyclones do. But this isn't a Katrina or Harvey...
5 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#5659 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 am

MoliNuno wrote:Isaias, like Imelda, should not be retired. There is a big difference in retiring storm names that do catastrophic damage and result in a large loss of like ala Dorian.

Urban density continues to increase, the parameters for retirement have to shift. ALL cyclones do damage at landfall guys, we can't just retire every storm that impacts the coast. Trees come down, roofs get damaged, yeah. Thats what cyclones do. But this isn't a Katrina or Harvey...

Nobody said it was a Katrina or Harvey they are on a level by themselves. It is in line with many other storms that have been retired in the past though. And until the parameters are officially changed it fits the bill. Total cost of damages has yet to be determined but so far 18 total deaths have been attributed to Isaias that took place in 9 different States and 1 in Puerto Rico. Has as good as many others had TBH.
4 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#5660 Postby Nuno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 am

HurricaneEnzo wrote:
MoliNuno wrote:Isaias, like Imelda, should not be retired. There is a big difference in retiring storm names that do catastrophic damage and result in a large loss of like ala Dorian.

Nobody said it was a Katrina or Harvey they are on a level by themselves. It is in line with many other storms that have been retired in the past though. And until the parameters are officially changed it fits the bill. Total cost of damages has yet to be determined but so far 18 deaths have been attributed to Isaias in 9 different States and 1 in Puerto Rico. Has as good as many others had TBH.

Yes Enzo, that is likely the bar storms should be for retirement. That was the whole point of retirement years ago. Storms that were so destructive and infamous, the name should not be used again. Is Isaias really that destructive or infamous of a storm in that regard? Tornados brought down trees and roofs... again all cyclones do this lol. Retirement should be reserved for the most notorious of storms. For example, 1999's Irene caused 18 deaths and wasn't retired at a similar intensity. All deaths are a tragedy, but 18 from a cyclone in the US isn't something people will recall (or even care about).

We complain about the lack of I names, yet if we continue to call for every storm that causes a billion in damage (which all storms pretty much do now given the urban density) we're going to have to make up names by 2050.
2 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Return to “2020”