EPAC: ELIDA - Remnants

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ed_2001
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: EPAC: ELIDA - Remnants

#121 Postby Ed_2001 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:14 am

Just got a brief but heavy shower here that woke me up, with some more looks to be on the way. Not too unusual but still relatively uncommon for remnant moistures of hurricanes to affect Coastal California. But with the dry season in full swing summer rain in itself is already unusual.

But back in the very active 2015 season three hurricanes brought remnant moistures here, Blanca, Dolores and Linda. Dolores especially dropped over an inch of rain in some spots and Linda broke a September daily rainfall record at LA with over 2 inches of rain. All very unusual numbers at the height of the summer dry season.

And in 2017 another tropical storm generated remnant moisture that produced a strong microburst locally.

One of those days though, SoCal might see a repeat of the 1939 Long Beach tropical storm and the 1858 hurricane. Hard to think how unusual those events are but it’s definitely not impossible for us to get hit by tropical storm or even minimal hurricane given long enough time.
Last edited by Ed_2001 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 likes   
The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind...

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#122 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 am

Ed_2001 wrote:Just got a brief but heavy shower here that woke me up, with some more looks to be on the way. Not too unusual but still relatively uncommon for remnant moistures if hurricanes to affect Coastal California. But with the dry season in full swing summer rain in itself is already unusual.

But back in the very active 2015 season three hurricanes brining remnant moistures here, Blanca, Dolores and Linda. Dolores especially dropped over an inch of rain in some spots and Linda broke a September daily rainfall record at LA with over 2 inches of rain. All very unusual numbers at the height of the summer dry season.

And in 2017 another tropical storm generated remnant moisture that produced a strong microburst locally.

One of those days though, SoCal might see a repeat of the 1939 Long Beach tropical storm and the 1858 hurricane. Hard to think how unusual those events are but it’s definitely not impossible for us to get hit by tropical storm or even minimal hurricane given long enough time.

Are you in santa barbara?? I was at the beach for that microburst
4 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

Ed_2001
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#123 Postby Ed_2001 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:
Ed_2001 wrote:Just got a brief but heavy shower here that woke me up, with some more looks to be on the way. Not too unusual but still relatively uncommon for remnant moistures if hurricanes to affect Coastal California. But with the dry season in full swing summer rain in itself is already unusual.

But back in the very active 2015 season three hurricanes brining remnant moistures here, Blanca, Dolores and Linda. Dolores especially dropped over an inch of rain in some spots and Linda broke a September daily rainfall record at LA with over 2 inches of rain. All very unusual numbers at the height of the summer dry season.

Ooh an local! Yes I am, though during the microburst I was not near Downtown so we only got heavy rain here.
3 likes   

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#124 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Ed_2001 wrote:

Ooh an local! Yes I am, though during the microburst I was not near Downtown so we only got heavy rain here.

Yeah im a native local as well!! Yup we were on the beach swimming at goleta beach when the wind kicked up and lightning we packed as fast we could and got out it was crazy umbrellas everwhere. I thought today was gonna have that happen tbh. Weather was beautiful, wish it was like this all the time!!
1 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

Ed_2001
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#125 Postby Ed_2001 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 am

Ed_2001 wrote:
Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:Are you in santa barbara?? I was at the beach for that microburst

Yeah im a native local as well!! Yup we were on the beach swimming at goleta beach when the wind kicked up and lightning we packed as fast we could and got out it was crazy umbrellas everwhere. I thought today was gonna have that happen tbh. Weather was beautiful, wish it was like this all the time!!

That’s so scary and I am glad you were fine! I was honestly a bit disappointed to have missed out on the good part. Yeah, Santa Barbara weather is quite boring most of the time, to the point that 1-2 inches of rain in the winter gets me excited :lol:

I guess I am not a native native, moved here when I was around 10. The weather back home was a lot more exciting.

But I’m thrilled to see a fellow Santa Barbaran in Storm2k of all places! And sorry admin for abusing this hurricane thread as a personal chat room :D
0 likes   

Return to “2020”