Moderator: S2k Moderators

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MARCO - Models

#441 Postby Steve » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:51 am

Nederlander wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:Yep, gfs is correcting toward icon. WAY further north and east than 06z

This is absolutely nuts. That's a day and a half from landfall, and some massive swings still in these tracks. It must be noted tyhat the GFS has been pretty bad though this season.

Yeah and it makes the NHC’s job really tough. Looking at the steering, it’s essentially saying it will latch on to the weakness as the trough lifts out and escape before the ridge builds back in on top of Laura and pushes her west. So Marco could actually landfall east of Laura if this verifies.

It’s plausible. Maybe the farther north position and faster movement could allow for that kind of track.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#442 Postby HouTXmetro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:51 am

Nederlander wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:Yep, gfs is correcting toward icon. WAY further north and east than 06z

This is absolutely nuts. That's a day and a half from landfall, and some massive swings still in these tracks. It must be noted tyhat the GFS has been pretty bad though this season.

Yeah and it makes the NHC’s job really tough. Looking at the steering, it’s essentially saying it will latch on to the weakness as the trough lifts out and escape before the ridge builds back in on top of Laura and pushes her west. So Marco could actually landfall east of Laura if this verifies.

Would that have implications on the Ridge's strength? Stronger, Weaker?
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#443 Postby Ivanhater » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:53 am

It's already making Laura's position much further north as well on the gfs so far
3 likes   
Michael

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#444 Postby MGC » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:00 am

I'm getting fatigued watching the models....they are all over the place. 12Z GFS landfalls Marco in SE La with Laura hot on his heels.....MGC
4 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#445 Postby Nederlander » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:05 am

HouTXmetro wrote:
Nederlander wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Would that have implications on the Ridge's strength? Stronger, Weaker?

Likely depends on the strength of Marco. Stronger Marco could help keep the ridge at bay, weaker could allow for stronger ridging
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#446 Postby SoupBone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:06 am

MGC wrote:I'm getting fatigued watching the models....they are all over the place. 12Z GFS landfalls Marco in SE La with Laura hot on his heels.....MGC

And just a day or so ago, the possibility of a Tex/Mex ladfall was on the table (with the GFS). I hope someone saves a gif loop of these various models runs so we can see how crazy they've jumped all over the place.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#447 Postby MississippiWx » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:09 am

It has been well advertised that a stronger Marco goes farther East. Weak storm goes to Texas. GFS finally sees the stronger storm. It will likely be able to stay stronger if it stays East away from the shear and dry air over the western Gulf.
0 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#448 Postby SoupBone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:10 am

CMC is up and at 30 hours has Marco moving N, slightly NW.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#449 Postby Ivanhater » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:17 am

12z Canadian has a huge shift East to SE Louisiana as well
3 likes   
Michael

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#450 Postby ronjon » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:17 am

Let's keep in mind when we're complaining about model swings in the shorter term is that it's really unprecedented to have two storms in close proximity like this. Global models due to their resolution issues have to play catch up on the local changes to synoptics. Add in we're now getting good drop sonde sampling of the atmospheric environment and intensity changes in the individual storms and it makes shorter and midterm forecasts much more challenging.
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#451 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:23 am

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#452 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:30 am

ronjon wrote:Let's keep in mind when we're complaining about model swings in the shorter term is that it's really unprecedented to have two storms in close proximity like this. Global models due to their resolution issues have to play catch up on the local changes to synoptics. Add in we're now getting good drop sonde sampling of the atmospheric environment and intensity changes in the individual storms and it makes shorter and midterm forecasts much more challenging.

Yes Ronjon very good explanation. I could not have stated it better myself. We have a very unique and rare phenomenon occuring in our part in the world with the Binary Interaction of two cyclones in close proximity of esch other. It will cause quute a few complecities with the models in the mefium term
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Category 1
Category 1

#453 Postby 3090 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:30 am

Well that is interesting and certainly sobering. Does not surprise me, but a swing back to the east that dramatic, is very atypical for the NHC to consider and change to. If they do, it will be as gradual as they can be, over 2-3 advisory cycles. They typically will NEVER change their forecast track that drastically. BUT this is a unique situation with 2 storms and it is 2020!
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#454 Postby SoupBone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:34 am

3090 wrote:

Well that is interesting and certainly sobering. Does not surprise me, but a swing back to the east that dramatic, is very atypical for the NHC to consider and change to. If they do, it will be as gradual as they can be, over 2-3 advisory cycles. They typically will NEVER change their forecast track that drastically. BUT this is a unique situation with 2 storms and it is 2020!

With a possible landfall in around 48 hours, I don't think they have the time for gradual shifts unless they put out a special advisory. I really don't envy their position. The Euro coming up is going to be really interesting to see if it follows the other models for both Marco and Laura.
3 likes   

txag2005
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#455 Postby txag2005 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:36 am

SoupBone wrote:
3090 wrote:

With a possible landfall in around 48 hours, I don't think they have the time for gradual shifts unless they put out a special advisory. I really don't envy their position. The Euro coming up is going to be really interesting to see if it follows the other models for both Marco and Laura.

The Euro already had a large shift East for Marco overnight. Assuming that holds you have to imagine the NHC track is moved east later today.
3 likes   

smw1981
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#456 Postby smw1981 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:36 am

I would think it would depend on the rest of the 12z models (as to if the NHC starts swinging the cone eastward). It will definitely be interesting to see what happens (with the models and the NHC). I don’t think I have ever seen models have so much discrepancy 72/48 hours out from landfall. 2020 is so bizarre.
1 likes   

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#457 Postby HurricaneBrain » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:42 am

GFS position through 42 hours is very plausible and likely. Not buying the poleward movement after that, however.
1 likes   

Category 1
Category 1

#458 Postby 3090 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:47 am

smw1981 wrote:I would think it would depend on the rest of the 12z models (as to if the NHC starts swinging the cone eastward). It will definitely be interesting to see what happens (with the models and the NHC). I don’t think I have ever seen models have so much discrepancy 72/48 hours out from landfall. 2020 is so bizarre.

Exactly my view. I have never seen so much uncertainty and such wild swings.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#459 Postby Ivanhater » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 am

12z Hmon brings Marco up toward NW Florida or Alabama but being sheared Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
0 likes   
Michael

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#460 Postby SoupBone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 am

So the HWRf shows Marco on a NW path, fairly weak, treking across the GoM (24 Hour - 1008 pressure).
0 likes   

Return to “2020”