ATL: OMAR - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: OMAR - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#61 Postby Beef Stew » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:12 pm

TallahasseeMan wrote:Omar takes the record for earliest “O” storm by 6 days from Ophelia ‘05
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The subtropics sure have been on a roll this year. Omar will be weak and short lived, but a TS is a TS. Another naming record goes to 2020... on to the next. September 17th is the date to beat for #16.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#62 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:15 pm

EquusStorm wrote:But whyyyyy

Atlantic seems desperate to get to the Greeks and just keeps throwing out things to eat names so we're out of names when the October big ones come apparently

At this rate, we'll be retiring Greek letters.
5 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:20 pm

I wish we either used names sequentially and just picked up where we left off, or had a standby auxillary list with regular names (like the X/Y/Z in the EPac) we could use, not like it's ever been an issue except this year and 2005 but it's seriously looking likely we're indeed going into peak Mitch/Wilma season with only Greek letters to name them.
4 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#64 Postby Hurricane Mike » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Only six names left.
1 likes   

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#65 Postby Beef Stew » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:29 pm

EquusStorm wrote:I wish we either used names sequentially and just picked up where we left off, or had a standby auxillary list with regular names (like the X/Y/Z in the EPac) we could use, not like it's ever been an issue except this year and 2005 but it's seriously looking likely we're indeed going into peak Mitch/Wilma season with only Greek letters to name them.

I also think the idea of a standby list would make the most sense. Even if we were to follow the same pace of formation that we did in 2018 from this point on out, we'd end up with Michael being 'Alpha'.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#66 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Could Omar surprise us and live for quite a while? There have been surprise overperformers in the subtropics in recent years.
2 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#67 Postby ClarCari » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Beef Stew wrote:
EquusStorm wrote:I wish we either used names sequentially and just picked up where we left off, or had a standby auxillary list with regular names (like the X/Y/Z in the EPac) we could use, not like it's ever been an issue except this year and 2005 but it's seriously looking likely we're indeed going into peak Mitch/Wilma season with only Greek letters to name them.

I also think the idea of a standby list would make the most sense. Even if we were to follow the same pace of formation that we did in 2018 from this point on out, we'd end up with Michael being 'Alpha'.

I also brought this up in the Reaching Alpha thread, but the NHC believed going alphabetical helps the public understand how far we are in a season, which isn’t year-round like the WPAC, so no-continuous names. EPAC is more storms on average than the ATL and retires names less often than ATL so having so few X, Y, and Z names makes sense. The Greek alphabet being used as auxiliary is to demonstrate a huge political and social example of how historically active and dangerous a hurricane season has been.

Is it perfect? No. But it’s the line of thought at the NHC that has proven quite strong since it’s inception so I doubt they will budge it anytime soon.
3 likes   

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#68 Postby zhukm29 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Honestly, X/Y/Z would be pretty cool, and it'd serve as a neat buffer before having to resort to Greeks, which cannot be retired. There are some pretty nice names at the end of the alphabet (and I'd argue that Y and Z names are easier to find than unused I names at this point :lol: ). These letters get used so infrequently that the risk running out of replacements shouldn't be a problem (especially since it's easier to find these names, and they're also becoming more common). I'd argue that X isn't too big of an issue either, since there are definitely quite a few Spanish X names that can be used (and Y has a bunch in French).

The names Xina/York/Zelda were actually added to the EPAC list during the middle of the 1985 season when Hurricane Waldo formed. Not so long ago, the EPAC also had 21 names like the ATL, and only the EPAC was updated since the ATL was never expected to get this far back then. But then 1995 happened, and things have never really been the same since. By the end of this year (assuming the rest of the season doesn't flop), every name list but list 1 will have reached the T name at some point, which is 2 away from exhausting the list. And we were really close in 2010-12 as well.

Also it'd just be cool to have a Hurricane Xander or a Hurricane Yuri or a Hurricane Zachary roaming around the Atlantic. :lol: I remember how exciting it was when Xavier formed in the EPAC in 2018. Just the fact it began with X made it exciting, kind of like an accomplishment of some sort. :D
5 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Hurricane Mike wrote:Only six names left.

That's incredible. We'll need those alone just for Frontal Zones and North Atlantic Gales during the next 8 weeks. Heaven knows how deep into Greek names we'll need to go for disturbances that form in the Tropics?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Oh look, we have Omar. Another name and another 2005 record down the toilet.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Do_For_Love
Category 1
Category 1

#71 Postby Do_For_Love » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:44 pm

A couple references from knowledgeable posters in this thread about the prevalance of activity in the "subtropics"...I gotta say, man. We have had our warmest summer ever, with incredible humidity, and already been hit by two tropical storms. What are the specifications for being fully tropical? We might have to fill out an application or something at this point. Lol
1 likes   
Irene '11, Sandy '12, Fay '20, Isaias '20, Ida '21

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#72 Postby us89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:46 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
EquusStorm wrote:But whyyyyy

Atlantic seems desperate to get to the Greeks and just keeps throwing out things to eat names so we're out of names when the October big ones come apparently

At this rate, we'll be retiring Greek letters.

I thought this wasn't possible? I suppose WMO could always change their policy if say, Hurricane Beta becomes a category 5 and decimates wherever it hits...
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby cheezyWXguy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Laminar wrote:
aspen wrote:Oh look, we have Omar. Another name and another 2005 record down the toilet.

= more clicks and ratings! Yay media!

I think it’s more along the lines of “does this have 34kt winds and a warm core”
6 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Beef Stew wrote:
TallahasseeMan wrote:Omar takes the record for earliest “O” storm by 6 days from Ophelia ‘05
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The subtropics sure have been on a roll this year. Omar will be weak and short lived, but a TS is a TS. Another naming record goes to 2020... on to the next. September 17th is the date to beat for #16.

Since something is likely to develop from an AEW between the 4th and 8th, that record is going to get decimated as well.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm

Yeah adding Z to the list is the only way I'll ever get my name on the naming lists haha. They should do the X/Y/Z rotation in the Atlantic too.

Maybe Xander/Yasmin/Zachary and Xanthe/Yale/Zoe or something.

I still blame Omar. :cheesy:
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby toad strangler » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Let's be honest for a second. 2020 should definitely have Q*Bert on the name list.
6 likes   

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#77 Postby us89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 pm

Held at 40 mph/1003 mb for the 11 pm advisory.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Kazmit » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 pm

A name waster, lol. I was hoping the name Omar would be given to a powerful hurricane.
5 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby wx98 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Kazmit wrote:A name waster, lol. I was hoping the name Omar would be given to a powerful hurricane.

If this would’ve hurried up last night we would’ve had Omar in the Caribbean right now...
0 likes   

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#80 Postby Fancy1001 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 pm

Kazmit wrote:A name waster, lol. I was hoping the name Omar would be given to a powerful hurricane.

Tell me about it, I've been making jokes for the last few weeks saying FEAR NANA!, but barely anyone's going to be fearing that little thing.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”