#821 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 pm

Amazing how tiny Beta and Paulette look by comparison. :double:
2 likes   

us89
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: TEDDY - Hurricane - Discussion

#822 Postby us89 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Down to 100 mph in the intermediate advisory, but far more impressive is the wind radius:

Teddy is an extremely large hurricane. Satellite-derived winds and
a recent NOAA Hurricane Hunter mission indicate that hurricane-force
winds extend outward up to 150 miles (240 km) from the center and
tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 550 miles (890 km).
Buoy 44150, located about 150 n mi north of the center, recently
reported a significant wave height of 36 ft (11 m).

What's the wind field record currently held by Sandy? This has to be close to that.
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#823 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:59 pm

us89 wrote:Down to 100 mph in the intermediate advisory, but far more impressive is the wind radius:

What's the wind field record currently held by Sandy? This has to be close to that.

This has to be like top 10 all time in the Atlantic size-wise right?
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#824 Postby ColdMiser123 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm

A little surprised that there aren't any kind of tropical storm watches or warnings for far eastern locations of the United States, the 2 pm intermediate advisory wind field now puts tropical storm force winds over eastern Maine, Cape Cod, and Nantucket.
1 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#825 Postby Kazmit » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:11 pm

This looks like a nor'easter.
2 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#826 Postby us89 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:A little surprised that there aren't any kind of tropical storm watches or warnings for far eastern locations of the United States, the 2 pm intermediate advisory wind field now puts tropical storm force winds over eastern Maine, Cape Cod, and Nantucket.

Looks like they're going with non-tropical wind products there. Nantucket is under a high wind warning, with the nearby coastal waters under gale or storm warnings.

I'm not sure I agree with that decision - but if I had to guess, they're going with the non-tropical products because they're in the dry intrusion. People might assume a TS warning implies heavy rain, when that's in fact the exact opposite of what they'll see. A whole bunch of RI/MA/NH/ME are even dry enough for a red flag warning.
Last edited by us89 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#827 Postby ColdMiser123 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm

us89 wrote:
ColdMiser123 wrote:A little surprised that there aren't any kind of tropical storm watches or warnings for far eastern locations of the United States, the 2 pm intermediate advisory wind field now puts tropical storm force winds over eastern Maine, Cape Cod, and Nantucket.

Looks like they're going with non-tropical wind products there. Nantucket is under a high wind warning, with the nearby coastal waters under gale or storm warnings.

I'm not sure I agree with that decision - but if I had to guess, they're going with the non-tropical products because they're in the dry intrusion. People might assume a TS warning implies heavy rain, when that's in fact the exact opposite of what they'll see. A whole bunch of RI/MA/NH/ME are even dry enough for a red flag warning.

Could be a productive discussion after Teddy to see which products might be more appropriate for secondary impacts from a tropical system, and which products make more sense from a communication perspective. Guidance does still show a significant amount of rain for east Maine, so combined with gusts to 50-60 mph and high surf, it will definitely have all the impacts of a tropical system. The conversation after Sandy moved the NHC toward issuing watches and warnings even for post-tropical systems, but fortunately the impacts here from Teddy in New England will be far less.
3 likes   

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#828 Postby dukeblue219 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:31 pm

us89 wrote:Down to 100 mph in the intermediate advisory, but far more impressive is the wind radius:

Someone will be along with better numbers of total size, but a quick scan of Sandy's advisories showed a maximum tropical storm wind radius of 520mi. Teddy would appear to exceed that at least in one axis.
1 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#829 Postby galaxy401 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm

plasticup wrote:Spanning 30 degrees of latitude

Crazy how big Teddy is. The very end of its tail is being fed moisture by Beta! Or is it the other way around?
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#830 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Teddy has gale force winds spanning a diameter of 1,100 miles. This would make Teddy the largest Atlantic hurricane on record in terms of Gale force winds, surpassing the record set by Ogla in 2001 (Sandy was #2).
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#831 Postby us89 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:42 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:
us89 wrote:

Could be a productive discussion after Teddy to see which products might be more appropriate for secondary impacts from a tropical system, and which products make more sense from a communication perspective. Guidance does still show a significant amount of rain for east Maine, so combined with gusts to 50-60 mph and high surf, it will definitely have all the impacts of a tropical system. The conversation after Sandy moved the NHC toward issuing watches and warnings even for post-tropical systems, but fortunately the impacts here from Teddy in New England will be far less.

I'm also surprised at least some portion of the southern Nova Scotia coast isn't under a hurricane watch. Even if Teddy is fully extratropical by then as expected, I have a hard time believing the winds will weaken a whole lot before at least some portion of that huge hurricane-force field hits land. I would have figured some of those TS watches in northern NS/NB/PEI would be upgraded to warnings as well.
0 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#832 Postby ColdMiser123 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:44 pm

us89 wrote:
ColdMiser123 wrote:
us89 wrote:

I'm also surprised at least some portion of the southern Nova Scotia coast isn't under a hurricane watch. Even if Teddy is fully extratropical by then as expected, I have a hard time believing the winds will weaken a whole lot before at least some portion of that huge hurricane-force field hits land. I would have figured some of those TS watches in northern NS/NB/PEI would be upgraded as well.

I would expect widespread hurricane force gusts near and east of where Teddy makes landfall in central-eastern Nova Scotia.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#833 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:50 pm

If the ratio of NE/SW wind radii from 11am remains the same (360 nmi/270 nmi), then the SW wind radius for 2pm is ~415 miles, and Teddy’s wind diameter is 965 miles.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#834 Postby dukeblue219 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Teddy has gale force winds spanning a diameter of 1,100 miles.

It's not that symmetric.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#835 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:08 pm

If Teddy still has a warm core and remains a TC in the next advisory or two, it has a chance to dethrone Olga and Sandy as the largest Atlantic hurricane. It’s already extremely close. We should know after recon does their first full pass.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#836 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:16 pm

The wind field is absolutely massive

5 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#837 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm

That is insane...
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#838 Postby plasticup » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Positioned a little differently that could bring TS winds to Cuba and Virginia at the same time.
2 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#839 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Good thing those New England scenarios didn’t pan out. That would’ve brought tropical storm conditions from Nova Scotia to the Mid-Atlantic states, and as far inland as Quebec.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#840 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:01 pm

The NHC is apparently running out of synonyms of “big” for Teddy.

It turns out Teddy isn’t as large as I thought. However, it’s still easily one of the largest TCs in the Atlantic. Its TS wind field is 852 miles across from NE to SW, and the 12ft wave field is 1,864 miles across along the same axis.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”