ATL: TEDDY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Models

#41 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:This should miss Florida well to the East this run for sure on the 00z GFS, weakness open to its north.

Yep, but anything beyond 5 days is a crapshoot, let’s hope Paulette leaves a weakness so this doesn’t bother anyone on the mainland after the Antilles

This is why you really dont want to go past 3 to 4 days.. 5 is pushing it..

GFS has it at the exact same location... with utterly completely different Synoptics and Paulette is way NE, Rene is nearly dead.. no trough..

GFS very consistent through 72 to 96 hours. and that is what is important.

1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:This should miss Florida well to the East this run for sure on the 00z GFS, weakness open to its north.

Yep, but anything beyond 5 days is a crapshoot, let’s hope Paulette leaves a weakness so this doesn’t bother anyone on the mainland after the Antilles

GFS has it at the exact same location... with utterly completely different Synoptics and Paulette is way NE, Rene is nearly dead.. no trough..

https://i.ibb.co/s6BTqNb/gfs-z500a-Norm-atl-fh180-trend.gif

Not much difference on the 00z vs. 18z with a weaker ridge meaning a quick eject north and OTS. GEFS and Euro will tell the real deal!
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

Not much difference on the 00z vs. 18z with a weaker ridge meaning a quick eject north and OTS. GEFS and Euro will tell the real deal!

Not much difference ? it is a completely different setup.. lol
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby cheezyWXguy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

I think about a week of more runs and consistency will probably be needed to nail this down.
Last edited by cheezyWXguy on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:50 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

No trough? Verbatim, that snapshot has a trough to the north weakening the ridge, extending from Canada down to about 30N (which is why this run has a curve before the CONUS).

I'm skeptical of its intensity considering the GFS' notorious tendencies, but it is there.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

How so? I’m not seeing it.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

No trough? Verbatim, that snapshot has a trough to the north weakening the ridge, extending from Canada down to about 30N (which is why this run has a curve before the CONUS).

I'm skeptical of its intensity considering the GFS' notorious tendencies, but it is there.

it is far less of a trough than the 18z and the main low is 100s of miles NE .. ill rephrase no digging trough like the 18z..

point being.. dont take a model seriously past 3 to 5 days. lol
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Not much difference on the 00z vs. 18z with a weaker ridge meaning a quick eject north and OTS. GEFS and Euro will tell the real deal!

I suppose that is the problem.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

Shortwaves keep swinging through SE Canada which doesn’t allow much ridging.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:57 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

I suppose that is the problem.

There is no problem. Yes it could be completely different next run but that’s some good consistency for just a week out.
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:11 am

LarryWx wrote:
caneseddy wrote:CMC has nothing

I see it and it recurves sharply in the E Atlantic before weakening.

So, 0Z has overall had a pretty decent trend back away from a CONUS threat (though not necessarily a tuna since the GFS hits the NE Caribbean hard followed possibly by Bermuda) with a well OTS ICON, CMC, and UKMET and GFS recurving along 72W.

Let's see what the King and his men says later as well as the GEFS.

But the 0Z is only one run and It could easily shift back the other way on the next run(s). It really is amazing how many twists and turns there have been with 95L!

Larry, looks like significant number of GEFS members SW of Operational run
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby blp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 am

sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
caneseddy wrote:CMC has nothing

So, 0Z has overall had a pretty decent trend back away from a CONUS threat (though not necessarily a tuna since the GFS hits the NE Caribbean hard followed possibly by Bermuda) with a well OTS ICON, CMC, and UKMET and GFS recurving along 72W.

But the 0Z is only one run and It could easily shift back the other way on the next run(s). It really is amazing how many twists and turns there have been with 95L!

00z GEFS majority west of ops.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:30 am

blp wrote:
sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/rvCy9NW/gfs-ememb-lowlocs-watl-39.png

Not surprised given the drastic shift in the Synoptics and placement of the trough for the 00z operational..

the fact the ridge does not build back in on the operational is odd.
0 likes   

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#54 Postby Fancy1001 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 am

blp wrote:
sma10 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/rvCy9NW/gfs-ememb-lowlocs-watl-39.png

Am I mistaken or is one of the ensembles in the east blob at 912mb, or is that 1012mb. I can't tell.
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 am

Is the Euro delayed? Its not running on Tropical Tidbits. Anyone have another source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#56 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:58 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:Is the Euro delayed? Its not running on Tropical Tidbits. Anyone have another source?

Looking at the coarse WSI 500 hPa vorticity maps, the Euro is significantly faster than 12z with the western lobe so far, maybe about 3-4 degrees west at hour 36 valid the same time stamp.
1 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:59 am

ColdMiser123 wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:Is the Euro delayed? Its not running on Tropical Tidbits. Anyone have another source?

Looking at the coarse WSI 500 hPa vorticity maps, the Euro is significantly faster than 12z with the western lobe so far, maybe about 3-4 degrees west at hour 36 valid the same time stamp.

earlier ASCAT probably assisted with this run.. the 18 and 12z had no ASCAT as it was still over land.
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:59 am

ColdMiser123 wrote:

Thank you. If you are willing to stay up, can you post updates?

1 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#59 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:03 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
ColdMiser123 wrote:

earlier ASCAT probably assisted with this run.. the 18 and 12z had no ASCAT as it was still over land.

The Euro has some of the best satellite data assimilation out of all guidance, it should correct the forecast if satellite observations show a significant discrepancy from previous forecasts.
1 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:05 am

Close to ~5-6 degrees west of 12z at hour 60. At minimum, this should show a significantly closer approach to the islands this run.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”