Moderator: S2k Moderators

cag1953
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: SALLY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#3641 Postby cag1953 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Steve wrote:
us89 wrote:
AlabamaDave wrote:I assume the 281 bridge to Gulf Breeze via the east side of Escambia Bay must be okay, because my daughter commutes from West Pensacola to GB for work and made it (took over 1-1/2 hours). I ain't no road engineer, but isn't there something that can be done to reinforce these bridges in hurricane prone areas? Seems like this happens with every significant hurricane.

The US 98 bridge got hit by a barge. Not much you can do to prepare for that.

Yeah, and a crane (allegedly) fell on top of the broken section which was a different spot than where the barge hit it. The old bridge was destroyed in Ivan, and the super old bridge was a fishing pier for almost the entire length until it too got destroyed. The new bridge which they have been building the last couple years was much much higher (e.g. the I-10 Twin Span over Lake Pontchartrain) so that the wave action couldn't destroy it. Same for the 3 mile bridge. I guess the state or state's engineering company should have pulled the floating docks and barges farther away from the bridge. They are moored, but there's literally nothing else they can hit in the Sound all the way to the 281/Garcon Point Bridge or the little peninsula hamlet of 4 or 5 houses right off Bayshore Road.

At one time,one barge hit the new bridge,one got wedged under the Garcon Point Bridge(so it was shut down) and the I-10 bridge was shut down because another barge was headed that way. I've also heard that one hit the bridge leading to NAS.
0 likes   

Blackwaterjoe22
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: ATL: SALLY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#3642 Postby Blackwaterjoe22 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:00 pm

A post to show some effects from Sally
Our neighborhood on Blackwater Bay had surge about 6 feet above normally dry ground. Thick smelly sticky mud is on everything. Most everyone in my vicinity had their cars flooded and myself and my neighbors all had 4-6 feet of water in our lower floors. We also have several boats in the streets as well.To add insult to injury we may have to evacuate tomorrow night due to record flooding from Yellow River. Gonna sleep now to the serenade of generators

Joe
4 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: SALLY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#3643 Postby supercane4867 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 pm

Just saw this eyewall video posted 2 days ago. I've never seen such intense winds recorded by camera in a CAT2 landfall

Link: https://youtu.be/zkzGk73Fh4Y
3 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#3644 Postby DestinHurricane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:13 pm

We are seeing serious beach erosion in Destin, FL. Beach walkways have been mostly destroyed. The erosion is as bad as Dennis and Ivan. It will take years for our beaches to recover just like it did with Ivan and Dennis.

Here's a before and after
Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3832959 ... authuser=0

After: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMf6nTWHg4
2 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3645 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:41 am

sally circ is about to come offshore very far south near the Ga south carolina border.. all the models had it going NE.. but it has not.

now it must be watched for those earlier model runs that had regeneration off the SE coast
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3646 Postby tomatkins » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 am

Aric Dunn wrote:sally circ is about to come offshore very far south near the Ga south carolina border.. all the models had it going NE.. but it has not.

now it must be watched for those earlier model runs that had regeneration off the SE coast

It looks to me like its a very stretched out low as suggested in the models.
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#3647 Postby Blinhart » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:53 am

What are the odds of this one regenerating also???

We could have Paulette come back to life, Sally come back to life, Teddy still there, Wilfred possibly still around, Beta (??) in the Gulf, Gamma (or Delta, I don't know the Greek alphabet that well) off of the coast of Africa. This would be just about right for the 2020 season.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3648 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Blinhart wrote:What are the odds of this one regenerating also???

We could have Paulette come back to life, Sally come back to life, Teddy still there, Wilfred possibly still around, Beta (??) in the Gulf, Gamma (or Delta, I don't know the Greek alphabet that well) off of the coast of Africa. This would be just about right for the 2020 season.

Not zero. If it sits in the Gulf Stream, it could regain deep convection. It's not extratropical so it just needs deep convection around the nascent low.
0 likes   

runnergal70
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3649 Postby runnergal70 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 pm

The night or should I say morning that Hurricane Sally slammed into the Alabama Coast, I posted on here. Scared to death. This was the first time I went through a hurricane by myself as a single mom. It was scary. Thanks to those who said prayers. I lost my power and cell phone service shortly after I posted. Got my power back tonight. In the beginning they said it was going to be weeks but angels from all over the country appeared in my County. Four days later I had power. We had a lot of damage in Fairhope and surrounding towns. Lot of houses with trees on them. I was one of the lucky ones. The trees went into the street and away from my house. Just wanted to let those who saw me post that night, my daughter and I are ok. It is a night I will not forget. I have always lurked here but never really posted till that night.
3 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3650 Postby EquusStorm » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:32 am

Fairhope is beautiful. I really dread seeing all the missing trees and roof tarps next time I go down. Guess it's just something that happens living on the coast but it's certainly a very upsetting and nerve-wracking thing to have happen.

There are multiple beach houses literally completely destroyed down to the floor decking or only small interior walls as seen by drone videos in Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan, though they're surrounded by ones with minor damage; gotta wonder if construction quality or a unique failure mode in persistent high winds. Turns out the unit missing half of its roof near mom's workplace was hit by a cell tower ripped from a big condo complex that came crashing through the building; certainly good that unit was not occupied at the time given many units in Fort Morgan were during the storm. Power and water are back on in much of Foley already so mom's gone back down to help the company with recovery and assessment. It'll be a while before things start getting back to normal for sure.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Return to “2020”