S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#41 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 am

toad strangler wrote:
NDG wrote:
Stormcenter wrote:To put any weight on what the models are predicting
after Laura and other storms this season is extremely
risky and unwise. I would be very careful with this one.
IMO

Don't forget Hanna.
Meteorologicaly it does not make any sense that with such a great environment and very warm SSTs it will only stay as a TW or TD.
If enough time over water I really will not doubt it becoming a hurricane before making landfall somewhere in the north central GOM, in my amateur opinion.

Hanna moved over the widest part of the GOM. 96L is not that. The reason I am putting stock in the models here is because given the expected track, there won't be much time. Obviously if this tracks further west than what models (GFS & Euro) are showing, all bets are off.

I disagree with you, with 72 hrs over the GOM, based on the latest GFS's vorticity forecast it is more than plenty of time for it to become a hurricane, don't forget that with Hanna it was fighting shear when it entered the GOM.

Edit: I just looked over the archives for Hanna, like I mentioned it entered the GOM on the 21st of July as a weak vorticity fighting southerly shear, well removed west of the deep convetion, it did not become a TD until late at night on the 22nd almost in the middle of the GOM by then and within 68 hrs it became a strong Cat 1 hurricane.
96L already looks better organized than Hanna when it was moving through the FL straingts.
Last edited by NDG on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby gatorcane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:17 am

Look at the small upper-level low to the north of it. Looks like that is just enough to keep some light shear over this until it gets into the EGOM where conditions look good:

Last edited by gatorcane on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Crankin
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#43 Postby Crankin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:17 am

wxman, speedy healing to you.
I think you are underestimating this system, as are models.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 am

This is what I see happening like I mentioned before, later today/tonight the low level vorticity and ML vorticity will get closer before making landfall over SE FL late tonight or early early tomorrow morning, I wouldn't doubt if it becomes at least TD before tracking over S FL, IMO.

0 likes   

Category 1
Category 1

#45 Postby 3090 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 am

xironman wrote:The big thing is if it misses SFL. That will give it time.

Southernmost Fla., is a vast wetland with zero elevation. It would not inhibit the system, much like the coastal areas of Louisiana would not inhibit a tropical system.
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby Evil Jeremy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 am

Very drenchy weekend ahead for SFL, but that's nothing new. Hopefully this doesn't spin out of control in the Gulf.

Have there ever been 5 active storms in the Atlantic before? I know we've had 4, but seems to me there will be a small window early next week for 5 storms. Is that unprecedented?
1 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby gatorcane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:23 am

wxman57 wrote:I see a weak trof axis between SE FL and Andros island. SFC pressures 1012-1013 mb. System will likely move inland between SE LA and FL panhandle as a wave or TD Sunday/Monday. Possibility of weak TS, though model support for TS is minimal.

Status report: Broke my right radius bone where it connects to my wrist in a bike fall Monday. Surgery yesterday to repair with a titanium plate. Feels better no that the 3 pieces of my radius bone are secured. Hard to type left-handed. No lengthy discussions from me.

Ship north of Andros has incorrect pressure, at least.

http://wxman57.com/images/96La.JPG

Wow Wxman I was wondering where you were as you seemed MIA lately. Glad to see you back and recovering. :D
0 likes   

Category 1
Category 1

#48 Postby 3090 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:23 am

NDG wrote:This is what I see happening like I mentioned before, later today/tonight the low level vorticity and ML vorticity will get closer before making landfall over SE FL late tonight or early early tomorrow morning, I wouldn't doubt if it becomes at least TD before tracking over S FL, IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/1LD5xPg.gif

It is forecast to move thru the Florida straits, no?
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby toad strangler » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 am

NDG wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
NDG wrote:
Don't forget Hanna.
Meteorologicaly it does not make any sense that with such a great environment and very warm SSTs it will only stay as a TW or TD.
If enough time over water I really will not doubt it becoming a hurricane before making landfall somewhere in the north central GOM, in my amateur opinion.

Hanna moved over the widest part of the GOM. 96L is not that. The reason I am putting stock in the models here is because given the expected track, there won't be much time. Obviously if this tracks further west than what models (GFS & Euro) are showing, all bets are off.

I disagree with you, with 72 hrs over the GOM, based on the latest GFS's vorticity forecast it is more than plenty of time for it to become a hurricane, don't forget that with Hanna it was fighting shear when it entered the GOM.

All good, I disagree as well. If this takes a track that the GFS shows and especially the Euro, no shot at a 'cane. That's what makes this fun. We should bet profile pic changes for a week on it. :D
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby gatorcane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

NDG wrote:This is what I see happening like I mentioned before, later today/tonight the low level vorticity and ML vorticity will get closer before making landfall over SE FL late tonight or early early tomorrow morning, I wouldn't doubt if it becomes at least TD before tracking over S FL, IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/1LD5xPg.gif

It does look juicy and has that “look.” Good call for sniffing this out a few days back before even the NHC mentioned the area. :D
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby SoupBone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am

Crankin wrote:wxman, speedy healing to you.

Well, he and his team do get paid to do this.

As for the models, yeah they've done pretty poorly all season, but with only a few days until whatever happens to this system, happens, I just don't see them failing as bad as they do a week or more out. But it is 2020 so who knows...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby xironman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:26 am

Almost due west

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:35 am

I have a hard time seeing 96L not becoming at least a Tropical Storm in the Gulf. Could become Sally depending on how quickly 95L develops.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:37 am

toad strangler wrote:
NDG wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

All good, I disagree as well. If this takes a track that the GFS shows and especially the Euro, no shot at a 'cane. That's what makes this fun. We should bet profile pic changes for a week on it. :D

BTW, 06z Euro keeps it offshore through its 90 hr forecast, just south of the MS/AL coast by then.

In case you missed my just edited reply to you:

Edit: I just looked over the archives for Hanna, like I mentioned it entered the GOM on the 21st of July as a weak vorticity fighting southerly shear, well removed west of the deep convetion, it did not become a TD until late at night on the 22nd almost in the middle of the GOM by then and within 68 hrs it became a strong Cat 1 hurricane.
96L already looks better organized than Hanna when it was moving through the FL straingts.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 am

This looks like it may be more of an issue... if the llc develops that far east could easily become a TS before florida since it is moving so slow. . has two outflow channels as well
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:42 am

Looks better organized than 95L at the moment. With also more deep convection. Should be a rainy day at least tomorrow here in S.FL with 80-90% chances of rain.

4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:47 am

SoupBone wrote:
Crankin wrote:wxman, speedy healing to you.

Well, he and his team do get paid to do this.

As for the models, yeah they've done pretty poorly all season, but with only a few days until whatever happens to this system, happens, I just don't see them failing as bad as they do a week or more out. But it is 2020 so who knows...

They failed terribly with Hanna with just about as much notice.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby toad strangler » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:49 am

I will say, unless looks are deceiving in this case, 96L looks much further S than the 00z Euro showed.
1 likes   

blacktopninja
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#59 Postby blacktopninja » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Looks better organized than 95L at the moment. With also more deep convection. Should be a rainy day at least tomorrow here in S.FL with 80-90% chances of rain.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllfatedPossibleFirecrest-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ColossalFreshFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

I'm leaning towards 100% chance of rain.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:55 am

Looks like a TD is forming or will soon. Stuff snaps together quickly in prime time. Also looks farther south which could be more problematic down the road with more time over water. More rain for FL. My zone is totally waterlogged now. we certainly made up for the early rainy season screw job on the west coast...
1 likes   

Return to “2020”