ATL: BETA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: BETA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#1021 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:16 pm

SoupBone wrote:I know they said more rain tonight but both low and mid levels show dry air behind Beta. Are we done with rain?

I saw a feed on YouTube from noon (weatherman was Pidjaris or something from Channel 13 somewhere in Texas). He showed some future estimates of a foot near Mandeville and more rain in TX/LA, some of which is currently shown on radar near downtown.

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/s ... y_loop.php

What was cool about the clip besides the confirmations (which we all know) of Beta being the first US Greek landfall (Opa!) and 9th storm to make Us landfall (6th in Gulf) this year, was the satellite shot showing a 2000 mile cold front connecting Teddy and Beta.
3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1022 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Low Level:

Mid Level:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1023 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Steve wrote:
SoupBone wrote:I know they said more rain tonight but both low and mid levels show dry air behind Beta. Are we done with rain?

I saw a feed on YouTube from noon (weatherman was Pidjaris or something from Channel 13 somewhere in Texas). He showed some future estimates of a foot near Mandeville and more rain in TX/LA, some of which is currently shown on radar near downtown.

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/s ... y_loop.php

What was cool about the clip besides the confirmations (which we all know) of Beta being the first US Greek landfall (Opa!) and 9th storm to make Us landfall (6th in Gulf) this year, was the satellite shot showing a 2000 mile cold front connecting Teddy and Beta.

Sorry Steve I meant Houston being done. Look at the pics below your post, looks like a ton of dry air behind Beta. I definitely think Beaumont and parts east are going to get hit tonight/tomorrow.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1024 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah. I saw the moisture maps. I think it’s done in Houston as it moves on, but we aren’t there yet. In-feed is off the Gulf so even as the dry air advances and nudges Beta NE, it should be able to squeeze out some rainfall along the way. It’s relatively dry for a tropical storm because of what it’s up against to its west, but HRRR does show some chance of rain generally around Houston for the next 18 hours as it’s slow to move out at first.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 92221&fh=3
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1025 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Steve wrote:Yeah. I saw the moisture maps. I think it’s done in Houston as it moves on, but we aren’t there yet. In-feed is off the Gulf so even as the dry air advances and nudges Beta NE, it should be able to squeeze out some rainfall along the way. It’s relatively dry for a tropical storm because of what it’s up against to its west, but HRRR does show some chance of rain generally around Houston for the next 18 hours as it’s slow to move out at first.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 92221&fh=3

I'm just looking for bright spots here. We've had enough of Beta. :lol:

3 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1026 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 pm

No doubt Soup. It brought a lot of concentrated rainfall to the metro. I saw some street/house flooding videos. Houston maybe more than most cities has had some historic flooding from rainfall over the last few decades. Luckily this is only somewhat bad. Hope y’all stay dry and no one floods out.

Btw, narrow train across the city and to the west. Hopefully the center will pull up a little so that band can move some and hopefully not continue to refire.

https://www.weather.gov/hgx/
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1027 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Some really heavy banding NE of Houston and a line right on top of the Cypress area. I wonder if that's the setup tonight, sparing SE/SW Houston tonight.
0 likes   

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1028 Postby nutkin517 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Have had some heavier rain this evening in Beaumont after two days of drizzle. I am betting on some flooding tonight.
4 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1029 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:14 pm

I am getting absolutely dumped on by that expanding feeder band on top of the Cypress area. It's heavy rain.
1 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1030 Postby sphelps8681 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:40 pm

nutkin517 wrote:Have had some heavier rain this evening in Beaumont after two days of drizzle. I am betting on some flooding tonight.

Greg Bostwick is doing a live at 7:45pm tonight on facebook.
0 likes   

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1031 Postby nutkin517 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm

sphelps8681 wrote:
nutkin517 wrote:Have had some heavier rain this evening in Beaumont after two days of drizzle. I am betting on some flooding tonight.

Yep, I am watching now, though I don't have too much confidence in him tbh.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1032 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 pm

nutkin517 wrote:
sphelps8681 wrote:

I’m not in that market but I will always vouch for him as a poster here.
0 likes   

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1033 Postby nutkin517 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Steve wrote:
nutkin517 wrote:
sphelps8681 wrote:

I feel like our local meteorologists tend to overhype things a lot except when they need to be. And I guess because of the types of people here, I guess it is probably necessary otherwise they won't take it seriously. But, I kind of just want it given to me straight. I suppose it is a fine line.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1034 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Definitely looks like that train is setting up in N/NW Harris, and the south might get a reprieve tonight.
0 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1035 Postby sphelps8681 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 pm

My area in Lumberton, Tx is suppose to get upwards of 7in of rain. According to NWS and local mets. Tonight into tomorrow.
0 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1036 Postby sphelps8681 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 pm

nutkin517 wrote:
Steve wrote:
nutkin517 wrote:

I feel like our local meteorologists tend to overhype things a lot except when they need to be. And I guess because of the types of people here, I guess it is probably necessary otherwise they won't take it seriously. But, I kind of just want it given to me straight. I suppose it is a fine line.

Nws said the samething in their live briefing.
0 likes   

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#1037 Postby tiger_deF » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Pretty incredible how a storm that is practically invisible on IR is dumping so much rain
4 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1038 Postby SoupBone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm

tiger_deF wrote:Pretty incredible how a storm that is practically invisible on IR is dumping so much rain

I know. I keep looking at the dry air, no hint of the system, and think I'm looking at it wrong. The sky absolutely just opened up on my area now. Tonight is going to be rough unless this line moves further north.
3 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1039 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm

SoupBone wrote:
tiger_deF wrote:Pretty incredible how a storm that is practically invisible on IR is dumping so much rain

I know. I keep looking at the dry air, no hint of the system, and think I'm looking at it wrong. The sky absolutely just opened up on my area now. Tonight is going to be rough unless this line moves further north.

It’s rain coming from the very low levels.
2 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1040 Postby sphelps8681 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:32 pm

2 likes   

Return to “2020”