ATL: DELTA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: DELTA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#2661 Postby msbee » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:09 am

Hoping everyone is LA is safe and best of luck in recovering. I know what its like to have back to back hurricanes. Its rough but you will get through it.
7 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

Stormgodess
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: DELTA - Hurricane - Discussion

#2662 Postby Stormgodess » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:09 am

LARanger wrote:I was on my laptop working outside and heard odd noises, then more. Eventually I went to investigate and had to help remove an errant 12 foot trampoline with side nets from the neighbor's roof before the next big gust tossed it onto my car or house (or person, for that matter). It is now tied down safely-ish.

It's amazing how the gusts are so much worse now than before. Not sure if that is because the dry air isn't hauling the water load or if it's the current angle that involves less land interaction (a more direct path from the gulf). I presume the latter, but either way I'm not a fan.

Looked in the neighbors yard and was thinking "Oh look the neighbors trampoline flew from their backyard into a tree in their front yard".... Then realized nope... The neighbor now has TWO trampolines.

But SERIOUSLY, I would have sworn I have experienced Tropical storm forced winds dozens of times here in SE Louisiana in my 40 plus yrs. Obviously not?? Ive never experienced anything like we did last night!

My poor family is now going to have to deal with me wanting to evacuate any time we are even facing a tropical storm lol

Would the conditions you described, or any other type of conditions make winds of a certain intensity more destructive? Im at a loss looking at the damage around here a hearing we only got 50mph peak wind gusts?
5 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: DELTA - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#2663 Postby PTrackerLA » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am

That was quite a storm for Lafayette. Acadiana Regional Airport which is nearly 15 miles due east of me measured gusts 80-85mph for over 3 hours. Official reading at the airport appears to be 75mph but that station seemed to be underreporting winds through the entire event. I'd estimate gusts 90mph+ in my area of south Lafayette. Never lost power somehow(!) but my yard is littered with neighbors shingles. I'd estimate over half the homes in my neighborhood lost a significant amount of shingles, I nearly got struck by some while standing in my garage watching the height of the storm. The Parish is currently 70% out of power and over 600,000 customers in the state are out. Thankful for the beautiful and somewhat cool morning after yesterday, we are so done with hurricanes this year in Louisiana :( .
6 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2664 Postby Nederlander » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 am

Lots of damage here in the Golden Triangle. Sounds like our local Mets were a bit baffled. Measured 81 mph gust next to my house and we were expecting 40mph with gusts to 60. It made a huge difference to say the least. For those of you who know Greg Bostwick, he is as good as they come with 40 years experience in SETX, and he was thrown for a loop.

KFDM Met Greg Bostwick - “Rather frustrated tonight. Those of you who really know me realize that trying to get the forecast spot on especially during severe weather is something that I have tried my hardest to get right. Forecasting whether the sun will shine tomorrow is one thing but forecasting severe weather is quite a bit more important.

The forecast for Delta was excellent on landfall and rainfall. Everything was fine when two hours after landfall, winds went crazy on the WEST side of the storm.....never seen anything like it in my 40 plus years of forecasting.

As meteorologists, we understand that forecasting is not easy....sometimes more of an art than a science.”
10 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2665 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:45 am

Stormgodess wrote:
LARanger wrote:I was on my laptop working outside and heard odd noises, then more. Eventually I went to investigate and had to help remove an errant 12 foot trampoline with side nets from the neighbor's roof before the next big gust tossed it onto my car or house (or person, for that matter). It is now tied down safely-ish.

It's amazing how the gusts are so much worse now than before. Not sure if that is because the dry air isn't hauling the water load or if it's the current angle that involves less land interaction (a more direct path from the gulf). I presume the latter, but either way I'm not a fan.

Looked in the neighbors yard and was thinking "Oh look the neighbors trampoline flew from their backyard into a tree in their front yard".... Then realized nope... The neighbor now has TWO trampolines.

But SERIOUSLY, I would have sworn I have experienced Tropical storm forced winds dozens of times here in SE Louisiana in my 40 plus yrs. Obviously not?? Ive never experienced anything like we did last night!

My poor family is now going to have to deal with me wanting to evacuate any time we are even facing a tropical storm lol

Would the conditions you described, or any other type of conditions make winds of a certain intensity more destructive? Im at a loss looking at the damage around here a hearing we only got 50mph peak wind gusts?

Prolonged 30’s and 40’s can take out power and trees as CrazyC said last night. Often you just get an occasional gust without the sustained part. Imagine sustained 80-90-100 or more for hours. I don’t know what the damage factor increase is based on incremental wind increases, but I’m sure it’s got a high slope. Glad you’re okay. Hopefully my boy Jagno is okay. He was living out of a camper so he probably blew out. Also hopefully blinhart is good.
3 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#2666 Postby Craters » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Nederlander wrote:Lots of damage here in the Golden Triangle. Sounds like our local Mets were a bit baffled. Measured 81 mph gust next to my house and we were expecting 40mph with gusts to 60. It made a huge difference to say the least. For those of you who know Greg Bostwick, he is as good as they come with 40 years experience in SETX, and he was thrown for a loop.

KFDM Met Greg Bostwick - “Rather frustrated tonight. Those of you who really know me realize that trying to get the forecast spot on especially during severe weather is something that I have tried my hardest to get right. Forecasting whether the sun will shine tomorrow is one thing but forecasting severe weather is quite a bit more important.

The forecast for Delta was excellent on landfall and rainfall. Everything was fine when two hours after landfall, winds went crazy on the WEST side of the storm.....never seen anything like it in my 40 plus years of forecasting.

As meteorologists, we understand that forecasting is not easy....sometimes more of an art than a science.”

That sounds like a replay of Ike as far as the west-side winds are concerned. Ike was bad enough when it was rolling in. A quiet eye passage, and then the real winds came.

With Delta, could that have somehow been interaction of the shear from the trough and circulation from the storm? If I recall correctly, there was a fairly strong low to the northwest of Ike as it moved ashore, so it seems to have been a similar setup in that regard.
2 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

JayTX
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2667 Postby JayTX » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Nederlander wrote:Lots of damage here in the Golden Triangle. Sounds like our local Mets were a bit baffled. Measured 81 mph gust next to my house and we were expecting 40mph with gusts to 60. It made a huge difference to say the least. For those of you who know Greg Bostwick, he is as good as they come with 40 years experience in SETX, and he was thrown for a loop.

Yeah it got a little spooky around Mauriceville for sure. Tropical Storm warning were a little light to say the least the last 30 to 45 minutes of the storm. It looked like the wind field had spread out and that's why SETX was hit harder than expected. Looks like Entergy didn't expect this much damage either I haven't seen near the resources so far like they had for Laura here.
0 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#2668 Postby SouthernBreeze » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Stormgodess wrote:

A couple yrs ago, was it Michael or Mathew, I don't remember name, but it was an Oct storm. Towards the end, things had gotten a little calmer & I stuck my head out the back door, and in between gusts I could feel cooler air, and it was Oh CRAP, the approaching cold front is mixing with the warm tropical system! That storm definitely packed a grand finale that was way worse than the main storms winds. Maybe that's what you experienced?
2 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

Stormgodess
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2669 Postby Stormgodess » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 pm

You know what.... After the worst of it we were sitting out under the porch and I actually got up and went back in because I got so chilly! That might have been what it was
0 likes   

Stormgodess
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2670 Postby Stormgodess » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Steve wrote:
Stormgodess wrote:

Prolonged 30’s and 40’s can take out power and trees as CrazyC said last night. Often you just get an occasional gust without the sustained part. Imagine sustained 80-90-100 or more for hours. I don’t know what the damage factor increase is based on incremental wind increases, but I’m sure it’s got a high slope. Glad you’re okay. Hopefully my boy Jagno is okay. He was living out of a camper so he probably blew out. Also hopefully blinhart is good.

Yeh def hope they are ok, there is no way I would have been in a camper in what we got last night
1 likes   

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2671 Postby nutkin517 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:26 pm

So, that was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced here in Beaumont, TX. I could see from radar that around 3:30, things would be looking bad. I lost power a few minutes before 4 PM. The winds were gusty, but not terrible, though there would be an occasion where a huge gust would take the branches of the tree in my backyard and bend them almost to the ground. It is a pretty tall tree, though not sure how to speculate about how tall.

There was a little calmness around 5:30 PM, and then the wind went crazy when it began blowing from the north. My house was shaking and I could hear stuff being alternately thrown against the side of my house. I didn't feel comfortable opening my door to see how bad it was. Sounded like a train outside with alternating howling sound coming through the sides of my front door when a huge gust would blow. I don't know how high the wind gusts actually got, but they were higher than I have ever experienced in person in my 37 years of life.

My power came back on around 10 AM. Saw some pretty big trees uprooted around Beaumont and some that were snapped in half. Saw some power poles that were leaning and some street signs leaning. There was a billboard or two that got blown out. There were some down fences too.

My parents in Vidor (in a very old house) never lost power. They didn't have it for a week after Laura. So, very strange storm.
6 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#2672 Postby SouthernBreeze » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:19 pm

nutkin517 wrote:So, that was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced here in Beaumont, TX. I could see from radar that around 3:30, things would be looking bad. I lost power a few minutes before 4 PM. The winds were gusty, but not terrible, though there would be an occasion where a huge gust would take the branches of the tree in my backyard and bend them almost to the ground. It is a pretty tall tree, though not sure how to speculate about how tall.

There was a little calmness around 5:30 PM, and then the wind went crazy when it began blowing from the north. My house was shaking and I could hear stuff being alternately thrown against the side of my house. I didn't feel comfortable opening my door to see how bad it was. Sounded like a train outside with alternating howling sound coming through the sides of my front door when a huge gust would blow. I don't know how high the wind gusts actually got, but they were higher than I have ever experienced in person in my 37 years of life.

My power came back on around 10 AM. Saw some pretty big trees uprooted around Beaumont and some that were snapped in half. Saw some power poles that were leaning and some street signs leaning. There was a billboard or two that got blown out. There were some down fences too.

My parents in Vidor (in a very old house) never lost power. They didn't have it for a week after Laura. So, very strange storm.

Sounds like you may have experienced a cool front mixing with the warm tropical storm too. The sudden mix of the 2 can whip up some nasty winds!
1 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#2673 Postby Ubuntwo » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:38 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

* The landfall intensity in Louisiana I estimate was 80 kt. The highest FL winds near landfall were 104 kt, but at that point 90% was likely inappropriate due to cooler water and a stable boundary layer. The highest SFMR near landfall was 77 kt (with caveats), while no station recorded sustained hurricane winds (a few came close).

This is untrue, several stations reported hurricane force sustained: 70kt at Texas Point, 67kt at Lake Arthur, 64kt at Calcasieu Pass. (Texas Point also reported an 87kt gust)
8 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: DELTA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#2674 Postby EquusStorm » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:35 pm

Impressive rotating bands still raking through here. Multiple tornado warnings to the east in Georgia. This still packs a punch well inland; feel it's been pretty consistently underestimated. Just drove past a large tree down, even.
4 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2675 Postby nutkin517 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 pm

I feel bad for them for the crap they are getting, mostly from people who have no idea what they just experienced. There are literally people swearing up and down on Facebook that they experienced a category 2 hurricane in Port Neches, et al. Umm, not even close. They got the overall intensity of the storm pegged and even the turn northeast and landfall point. But, some crazy winds where they shouldn't be have uneducated people all up-in-arms. I am frustrated for Greg Bostwick and that is saying something.
3 likes   

LARanger
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2676 Postby LARanger » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Silly question, but I've already embarrassed myself while tired vis-a-vis hauling water so why not? . . . but the references to cold mixing and winds going nuts while inland make me want to ask . . . could the storm's hourglass of cyclone below and anticyclone above get disrupted into a bit of a self-consuming torus?

I'm not suggesting a full Day After Tomorrow atmospheric layer inversion thingy, just pulling down and in some higher, cooler air at the periphery instead of drawing it in from the sides, as it were.
0 likes   
Baton Rouge area cyclone dilettante, PSWAGGER* tropical weather & hydrology model developer
(* Pseudo-Scientific Wild-A** Guesses Generally Expressed Ridiculously)
The GFDL would've had all this figured out by now.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2677 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:02 pm

nutkin517 wrote:

I feel bad for them for the crap they are getting, mostly from people who have no idea what they just experienced. There are literally people swearing up and down on Facebook that they experienced a category 2 hurricane in Port Neches, et al. Umm, not even close. They got the overall intensity of the storm pegged and even the turn northeast and landfall point. But, some crazy winds where they shouldn't be have uneducated people all up-in-arms. I am frustrated for Greg Bostwick and that is saying something.

That was probably a strong tropical storm impact in the Golden Triangle. MAYBE a low-end category 1. A category 2 impact would be SUSTAINED 96 mph+. If that occurred anywhere, it would have been just west of Vermilion Bay.
2 likes   

JRD
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2678 Postby JRD » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Post-Delta now has developed warm, cold, and occluded fronts. The warm front came first, though it was oscillating between a warm front and a stationary front. The cold front then formed today, and post-Delta occluded rapidly also today. Seems fair to call it ex-Delta.
https://ocean.weather.gov/Atl_tab.php
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/#page=ovw
(I don't know how to put today's fixed image)
Last edited by JRD on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#2679 Postby DestinHurricane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:06 pm

What a year for Louisiana. Cristobal and Marco both tropical storms followed by Laura and Delta both powerful hurricanes. I'll keep yall LA folks in my prayers.
4 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2680 Postby al78 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:36 pm

PTrackerLA wrote:That was quite a storm for Lafayette. Acadiana Regional Airport which is nearly 15 miles due east of me measured gusts 80-85mph for over 3 hours. Official reading at the airport appears to be 75mph but that station seemed to be underreporting winds through the entire event. I'd estimate gusts 90mph+ in my area of south Lafayette. Never lost power somehow(!) but my yard is littered with neighbors shingles. I'd estimate over half the homes in my neighborhood lost a significant amount of shingles, I nearly got struck by some while standing in my garage watching the height of the storm. The Parish is currently 70% out of power and over 600,000 customers in the state are out. Thankful for the beautiful and somewhat cool morning after yesterday, we are so done with hurricanes this year in Louisiana :( .

Just out of interest, how did the wind in Lafayette from Delta compare with Andrew in 1992?
0 likes   

Return to “2020”