ATL: FRED - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Nancy Smar
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: FRED - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#1 Postby Nancy Smar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:41 am

AL, 94, 2021080806, , BEST, 0, 119N, 515W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, GENESIS018, , 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 018, SPAWNINVEST, al792021 to al942021,
AL, 94, 2021080812, , BEST, 0, 119N, 529W, 25, 1009, DB, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1012, 120, 40, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, INVEST, S, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 018,

https://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#2 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:48 am

Out of all the disturbances along the monsoonal trough this is one that all global models show at least a chance of weak develoment over the next few days.

This morning it has a fairly well defined vortex.

5 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:54 am

We could see a center reformation to the south where all the deepest convection is. So far, 94L has been heading due west. Maybe it might go south of the islands instead of through or north of them.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:02 am

Looks like its pulling moisture out of the Amazon.
Models have it amplifying TPW as it approaches the Antilles.
Could pull moisture out of the EPAC if nothing develops there then.
3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:05 am

Getting a refire on the hot tower
3 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Stormybajan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:07 am

Finally its 94L!! I am interested in what the hurricane models show :) I wonder if conditions will improve for this tiny disturbance or is dry air going affect it like it does with most systems this tiny
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:20 am

0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:29 am

There will be a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking over the Eastern Seaboard as 94L nears the Bahamas, and the GFS has slowly adjusted to this reality by suppressing the ULAC near Hispaniola. This would result in much stronger deep-layer VWS vectors out of the west. As a result, given that 94L is likely to be a compact system, even if it manages to develop somewhat near the Lesser Antilles, it will almost certainly be torn to shreds as it nears the Bahamas and South Florida. That ULL over Florida isn’t going to be converted into a ULAC, given 94L’s probable inability to generate a large expanse of convection that would weaken the ULL. As for the islands, 94L will be sufficiently small as to minimise its potential to generate heavy rainfall, even with its forward speed being relatively slow. So at this point I think this will become a low-end TS at most and do so briefly while near Puerto Rico. Afterward the shear, if not interaction with mountainous Hispaniola, is 99.9% certain to kill it. Note that Dorian featured an ULL to its southwest that provided ventilation as it passed east of the Bahamas (94L’s ULL will be to its northwest as it hits the Bahamas):

Link: https://youtu.be/N_OR4KzoDP8
Last edited by Shell Mound on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:46 am

Shell Mound wrote:There will be a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking over the Eastern Seaboard as 94L nears the Bahamas, and the GFS has slowly adjusted to this reality by suppressing the ULAC near Hispaniola. This would result in much stronger deep-layer VWS vectors out of the west. As a result, given that 93L is likely to be a compact system, even if it manages to develop somewhat near the Lesser Antilles, it will almost certainly be torn to shreds as it nears the Bahamas and South Florida. That ULL over Florida isn’t going to be converted into a ULAC, given 93L’s probable inability to generate a large expanse of convection that would weaken the ULL. As for the islands, 93L will be sufficiently small as to minimise its potential to generate heavy rainfall, even with its forward speed being relatively slow. So at this point I think this will become a low-end TS at most and do so briefly while near Puerto Rico. Afterward the shear, if not interaction with mountainous Hispaniola, is 99.9% certain to kill it. Note that Dorian featured an ULL to its southwest that provided ventilation as it passed east of the Bahamas (93L’s ULL will be to its northwest as it hits the Bahamas):

I read thinking this was about the prospects of 94L until I kept reading and mainly focused on 93L so I was slightly confused.
2 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 am

AutoPenalti wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:There will be a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking over the Eastern Seaboard as 94L nears the Bahamas, and the GFS has slowly adjusted to this reality by suppressing the ULAC near Hispaniola. This would result in much stronger deep-layer VWS vectors out of the west. As a result, given that 93L is likely to be a compact system, even if it manages to develop somewhat near the Lesser Antilles, it will almost certainly be torn to shreds as it nears the Bahamas and South Florida. That ULL over Florida isn’t going to be converted into a ULAC, given 93L’s probable inability to generate a large expanse of convection that would weaken the ULL. As for the islands, 93L will be sufficiently small as to minimise its potential to generate heavy rainfall, even with its forward speed being relatively slow. So at this point I think this will become a low-end TS at most and do so briefly while near Puerto Rico. Afterward the shear, if not interaction with mountainous Hispaniola, is 99.9% certain to kill it. Note that Dorian featured an ULL to its southwest that provided ventilation as it passed east of the Bahamas (93L’s ULL will be to its northwest as it hits the Bahamas):

I read thinking this was about the prospects of 94L until I kept reading and mainly focused on 93L so I was slightly confused.

I apologise. I was evidently referring to 94L and have since corrected my post.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:50 am

Shell Mound wrote:There will be a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking over the Eastern Seaboard as 94L nears the Bahamas, and the GFS has slowly adjusted to this reality by suppressing the ULAC near Hispaniola. This would result in much stronger deep-layer VWS vectors out of the west. As a result, given that 94L is likely to be a compact system, even if it manages to develop somewhat near the Lesser Antilles, it will almost certainly be torn to shreds as it nears the Bahamas and South Florida. That ULL over Florida isn’t going to be converted into a ULAC, given 94L’s probable inability to generate a large expanse of convection that would weaken the ULL. As for the islands, 94L will be sufficiently small as to minimise its potential to generate heavy rainfall, even with its forward speed being relatively slow. So at this point I think this will become a low-end TS at most and do so briefly while near Puerto Rico. Afterward the shear, if not interaction with mountainous Hispaniola, is 99.9% certain to kill it. Note that Dorian featured an ULL to its southwest that provided ventilation as it passed east of the Bahamas (94L’s ULL will be to its northwest as it hits the Bahamas):

Following shear forecasts that are over 5 days out is never a good idea. We’ll have to see what it becomes before the islands before we really focus on possible setups after the islands.

Speaking of Dorian, remember when it seemed like it was going to run right over the Shredder and never amount to anything significant? We need to watch out for any center jumps or track shifts that, like Dorian, could spare it from a landfall over the Greater Antilles.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Teban54 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:04 am

aspen wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:There will be a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking over the Eastern Seaboard as 94L nears the Bahamas, and the GFS has slowly adjusted to this reality by suppressing the ULAC near Hispaniola. This would result in much stronger deep-layer VWS vectors out of the west. As a result, given that 94L is likely to be a compact system, even if it manages to develop somewhat near the Lesser Antilles, it will almost certainly be torn to shreds as it nears the Bahamas and South Florida. That ULL over Florida isn’t going to be converted into a ULAC, given 94L’s probable inability to generate a large expanse of convection that would weaken the ULL. As for the islands, 94L will be sufficiently small as to minimise its potential to generate heavy rainfall, even with its forward speed being relatively slow. So at this point I think this will become a low-end TS at most and do so briefly while near Puerto Rico. Afterward the shear, if not interaction with mountainous Hispaniola, is 99.9% certain to kill it. Note that Dorian featured an ULL to its southwest that provided ventilation as it passed east of the Bahamas (94L’s ULL will be to its northwest as it hits the Bahamas):

Following shear forecasts that are over 5 days out is never a good idea. We’ll have to see what it becomes before the islands before we really focus on possible setups after the islands.

Speaking of Dorian, remember when it seemed like it was going to run right over the Shredder and never amount to anything significant? We need to watch out for any center jumps or track shifts that, like Dorian, could spare it from a landfall over the Greater Antilles.

And Laura.

Elsa actually almost managed to thread the needle when models were initially suggesting a Hispaniola landfall, even though it couldn't intensity for other reasons.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:10 am

We will have to see if the GFS will be correct with the position of that ULL over FL.
The Euro forecasts it to move out of the way towards the GOM.

4 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby SFLcane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:12 am

4 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:15 am

Shell Mound wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

I apologise. I was evidently referring to 94L and have since corrected my post.

Watching that loop of Dorian, amazing how Dorian just literally stopped right before Florida and moved north, even when a lot of models showed it hitting Florida or even crossing over into the GOM within 5 days. The saving grace trough showed up literally at the last minute and saved what would have been billions in damages to the state and perhaps the costliest hurricane to ever impact Florida.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:17 am

About 4 days out at 250mb.
X is approx location of max 700mb vort.
Under a weak anticyclone with a good poleward outflow channel.
Will need to cut thru the ULL over FL.
Could easily do that with strong towers and afternoon popups over FL.
Models totally fail on forecasting mesoscale dynamics.

4 likes   

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#17 Postby Stormybajan » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:18 am

If 94L really wants to get going imo it needs to relocate the center slightly south into that ball of convection away from dry air
1 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:18 am

aspen wrote:

Following shear forecasts that are over 5 days out is never a good idea.

This is not a long-range forecast. I am only alluding to factors that are going to be present within three days. The GFS shows a robust ULL over and near Florida in just three days. I don’t see how this forecast is going to be substantially incorrect, as the ECMWF shows a similarly unfavourable setup, at least for a brief(-er) period, though per the latter the ULL vacates the premises by 00:00 UTC on 14 August. Given that 93L is going to be a compact system, it will struggle to survive such a high level of VWS. Furthermore, its position relative to the ULL will be critical at all stages, starting in three days. It will also need to strengthen significantly within the next forty-eight to seventy-two hours in order to place itself in a better position vis-à-vis the ULL.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:20 am

Hot tower firing seems to be switching into constant mode.
Let's see if NHC posts recon tasking today.
4 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:29 am

Not quiet detached from the monsoonal trough. The northern vorticity is the one that will probably take over.

3 likes   

Return to “2021”