ATL: HENRI - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: HENRI - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#781 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:33 am

Buzzards Bay to NE of center at least has some low-end TS wind at a height of 25 meters. 45 kts and rising as the center passes.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=buzm3
0 likes   

got ants?
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#782 Postby got ants? » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:36 am

WTH happened? I thought Henri was circling Bermuda and heading OTS? Clicked on local news to see the warnings up the east coast. Are the models of this and previous storms off a bit this year?
1 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#783 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:41 am

got ants? wrote:WTH happened? I thought Henri was circling Bermuda and heading OTS? Clicked on local news to see the warnings up the east coast. Are the models of this, and previous storms off a bit this year?

That was a week ago when initial forecasts had Henri-to-be heading off to the NE. Steering patterns change. Shifted to southern New England 4 days ago.
6 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#784 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am

So far recon not finding any winds higher than 49 knots by SFMR.

0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#785 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:59 am

The story with this isn't going to be the wind. It is going to be the rain on already saturated ground. There is going to be historic once in a lifetime flooding in some places.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#786 Postby Visioen » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:03 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:In my home town, I am experiencing high amounts of the chemical known as dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) coming down from the sky.

For ease of reading we tend to refer to it as 'rain' here :wink:
5 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#787 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:05 am

Henri went from a possible hurricane landfall near me to nothing but a crummy rainy day here. Hopefully my luck continues this year and Henri isn’t too bad in RI. I am concerned about the surge heading towards Providence.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

hipshot
Category 1
Category 1

#788 Postby hipshot » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 am

wxman57 wrote:
got ants? wrote:WTH happened? I thought Henri was circling Bermuda and heading OTS? Clicked on local news to see the warnings up the east coast. Are the models of this, and previous storms off a bit this year?

That was a week ago when initial forecasts had Henri-to-be heading off to the NE. Steering patterns change. Shifted to southern New England 4 days ago.

Wxman57, you made reference to a potential storm Ida a few pages back, what's up with that. Also, this site map at the top of the page has this
area of yellow with an arrow from a X south of the islands off the coast of Africa, what is that, I don't see an invest designator or anything?
0 likes   

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

#789 Postby Woofde » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:13 am

Luckily for residents here there was very little wind. I went directly through the core and the strongest reading I had was 42mph and 994mb. Lots of rain and some choppy waves buts that's it.
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#790 Postby chaser1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:23 am

Sitting back and keeping tabs but I just don't seem to be hearing what (if any) storm surge impacts are occurring. I'm assuming that the "over-estimated" surface winds along with relative small size of Henri are simply not driving all that much of a storm surge event? Understandably inland flooding will be another topic altogether.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#791 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:26 am

aspen wrote:Henri went from a possible hurricane landfall near me to nothing but a crummy rainy day here. Hopefully my luck continues this year and Henri isn’t too bad in RI. I am concerned about the surge heading towards Providence.

Hopefully you are not in a flood prone area, although I think there will be lots of people who don't think they are in a flood prone area that will find that in this situation they are.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#792 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 am

hipshot wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Wxman57, you made reference to a potential storm Ida a few pages back, what's up with that. Also, this site map at the top of the page has this
area of yellow with an arrow from a X south of the islands off the coast of Africa, what is that, I don't see an invest designator or anything?

No disturbance yet. All models are indicating tropical development in the western Caribbean and/or southern Gulf next weekend. I'm sure there will be a thread started on it soon, if there isn't one already. An invest would require a disturbance. Won't be one until maybe next Friday or so. Early indications are a track similar to Grace.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#793 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
aspen wrote:Henri went from a possible hurricane landfall near me to nothing but a crummy rainy day here. Hopefully my luck continues this year and Henri isn’t too bad in RI. I am concerned about the surge heading towards Providence.

Hopefully you are not in a flood prone area, although I think there will be lots of people who don't think they are in a flood prone area that will find that in this situation they are.

The Still River often floods and the ground is already a little saturated from Fred’s remnants, but so far the rain hasn’t been as bad as expected. Forecast totals have gone down by half.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#794 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 am

chaser1 wrote:Sitting back and keeping tabs but I just don't seem to be hearing what (if any) storm surge impacts are occurring. I'm assuming that the "over-estimated" surface winds along with relative small size of Henri are simply not driving all that much of a storm surge event? Understandably inland flooding will be another topic altogether.

You would assume correctly. Onshore flow of 35-40 kts does not produce much of a surge. Maybe a couple of feet.
3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#795 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 am

Center appears to be at the coast. Max winds 45-50 kts at landfall, but only over a very small area. General winds 35-40 kts at landfall (east of the center). Those TS sustained winds won't carry inland beyond the beaches. Gusts to TS strength in squalls inland, though. Main threat will be heavy rainfall.
1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#796 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:43 am

NYC has reported over 4 inches of rain since last night.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#797 Postby Hurricane Mike » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:52 am

Video Update on Henri. Crazy rainfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7xlKdIPlI8
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#798 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:04 am

1 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#799 Postby underthwx » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:21 am

wxman57 wrote:Center appears to be at the coast. Max winds 45-50 kts at landfall, but only over a very small area. General winds 35-40 kts at landfall (east of the center). Those TS sustained winds won't carry inland beyond the beaches. Gusts to TS strength in squalls inland, though. Main threat will be heavy rainfall.

Good morning wxman57...is the cooler water temps in that region, the main player for a lower intensity with Henri?...the cyclone seemed much healthier in the past couple days...
0 likes   

PavelGaborik
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#800 Postby PavelGaborik » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:26 am

What a pitiful looking system. Great news for everyone on the coast as it looked like there was potential for a Hurricane to make landfall not so long ago.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”