Moderator: S2k Moderators

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: IDA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#5221 Postby StPeteMike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:14 pm

That’s crazy on the flooding in NYC!
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#5222 Postby Stormybajan » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:15 pm

0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

Landy
Category 1
Category 1

#5223 Postby Landy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Based on what I've seen on Twitter it looks like this storm's damage cost will be considerably higher than what some may have first believed (myself included; bad habit of counting out storms once they become remnants...). Praying for no casualties... floodwaters are no joke. :(
3 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#5224 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:24 pm

The I curse just never ends
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5225 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:36 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5226 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:40 pm

After all what has happened since last Sunday with the Louisiana landfall until the historic rain and tornado events in the mid Atlantic and NE states, I come to the logic conclusion that the name Ida will be retired.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#5227 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:46 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/idas-remnants-deluge-york-jersey-flooding-rain-tornadoes/story?id=79780365

In Passaic, northeast of New York City, the mayor also declared a state of emergency.

"We have too many areas where the flooding has gotten so bad that cars are stuck and we have bodies underwater," Passaic Mayor Hector Carlos Lora said in a video posted to Facebook. "We are now retrieving bodies."
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5228 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:56 pm

RL3AO wrote:The damage $ in NY/NJ might end up making the gulf coast damage look tiny.

Yeah. That’s not going to happen. Haha.
0 likes   

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#5229 Postby Beef Stew » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:28 pm

Absolutely devastating rainfall totals from Ida, and unfortunately this seems to have caught many in the NE (… according to close friends in NY and PA, at least) completely off guard. Inland flooding is no joke; and just because a storm has been relegated to remnants doesn’t mean that it loses its entire punch. Ida’s name will be remembered for a long, long time- even by residents hundreds of miles from landfall…
1 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#5230 Postby jaxfladude » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:32 pm

RL3AO wrote:The damage $ in NY/NJ might end up making the gulf coast damage look tiny.

Firstly prayers to all impacted by Ida from Louisiana thru the Northeast...
Can the WHO(in 2022 meeting) at least have an discussion of retiring the letter "I" from the rotating list of names even if not possible at least talk and debate about how "I" names seem to be the worst/retired?
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#5231 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:55 pm

jaxfladude wrote:

Can the WHO(in 2022 meeting) at least have an discussion of retiring the letter "I" from the rotating list of names even if not possible at least talk and debate about how "I" names seem to be the worst/retired?

If they do that, then it’ll just make the J storm bad every year.
3 likes   

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5232 Postby Tekken_Guy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:16 am

Beef Stew wrote:Absolutely devastating rainfall totals from Ida, and unfortunately this seems to have caught many in the NE (… according to close friends in NY and PA, at least) completely off guard. Inland flooding is no joke; and just because a storm has been relegated to remnants doesn’t mean that it loses its entire punch. Ida’s name will be remembered for a long, long time- even by residents hundreds of miles from landfall…

What is the difference between Ida’s remnants and those of other storms?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#5233 Postby Teban54 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:19 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
jaxfladude wrote:

We have a lot more J names available than I names, especially I male names
0 likes   

sikkar
Category 1
Category 1

#5234 Postby sikkar » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:53 am

0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5235 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:24 am

:double: apparently NYC has ordered non emergency traffic to stop til 5am :double: :double: :double: I don't think that's ever happened
0 likes   
#neversummer

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#5236 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:37 am

It's a big, big mistake to think that the worst is over when a storm is downgraded to a tropical depression.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#5237 Postby davidiowx » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:09 am

dexterlabio wrote:It's a big, big mistake to think that the worst is over when a storm is downgraded to a tropical depression.

Even more so in areas that can’t handle tropical type downpours. Central Park has observed about 12” of rain since yesterday. I’ve seen that happen several times where I live and there’s no where near that kind of flooding. This has been forecasted for several days as well. I don’t live there, but have friends in NYC and it seems like they didn’t really even try to prepare. That’s just hearsay though.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KNYC.html

It’s crazy how bad it is up there looking at the videos/pics. The tornado in NJ is wild!
Last edited by davidiowx on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 likes   

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5238 Postby SecondBreakfast » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:10 am

sikkar wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/02/new-york-flooding-state-of-emergency-ny-city-flash-flood-nyc-hurricane-ida-remnants

More on the flooding in NY, WOW.

We did okay, some roof leaking but nearby has been devastated. The news was preparing us for this for days but I’ve been a resident here my whole life and have NEVER seen anything like last night. Not even when Floyd flooded my high school in the 90s. Devastating.
1 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5239 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:32 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:
jaxfladude wrote:

Also while not as much as ideal, there are still some decent I names that we have that are not in use for EPAC/Atlantic storm naming or have been retired; examples include Ina, Imogen, Ivy, Irving, Inga, and Immanuel. I think once all of those names are retired then we should perhaps worry :D ? But other than that, I think we'll be good for the foreseeable future.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#5240 Postby kevin » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:40 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
jaxfladude wrote:Firstly prayers to all impacted by Ida from Louisiana thru the Northeast...

Also while not as much as ideal, there are still some decent I names that we have that are not in use for EPAC/Atlantic storm naming or have been retired; examples include Ina, Imogen, Ivy, Irving, Inga, and Immanuel. I think once all of those names are retired then we should perhaps worry :D ? But other than that, I think we'll be good for the foreseeable future.

Yeah we should still be good for the foreseeable future. Perhaps in the far far future once we run out of names we'll go to a more systematic naming system like the year and storm number so for example NATL-2080-09 for the 9th TC in the North Atlantic in the year 2080. It would of course be less memorable than a named storm so perhaps we could keep the names and just add the year behind them so Ida-2080. Idk, I guess that's a problem for another day.
0 likes   

Return to “2021”