Re: ATL: LARRY - Models

#101 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:57 pm

1 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby kevin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Yeah, one or two SW shifts weren't that bad, but now we're at the point that I'm really getting concerned. Euro 12z almost gets to Bermuda (I think it perhaps even makes landfall there this run but it's difficult to see) and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more W shifts in the next few runs. Also 944 mbar :eek:.

0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm not too concerned about it at this time, honestly, it's just interesting to see that models have had issues with how strong ridging actually is, and a part of that is likely no actual sampling in the middle of the ocean... Bermuda might not get so lucky though...
Last edited by AutoPenalti on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby otowntiger » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm

kevin wrote:Yeah, one or two SW shifts weren't that bad, but now we're at the point that I'm really getting concerned. Euro 12z almost gets to Bermuda (I think it perhaps even makes landfall there this run but it's difficult to see) and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more W shifts in the next few runs. Also 944 mbar :eek:.

https://imgur.com/RH6p7eD
Hello Bermuda. :eek:
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby kevin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm

Also look at this intensity guidance. And then also take into account that the initialization may very well be 25 kt too weak if Larry is already a hurricane, which could be a reasonable assumption based on IR and Dvorak.

4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#106 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm

The 18z run. Cat 4 is going to be the new peak by NHC.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

#107 Postby Woofde » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:21 pm

Interestingly, a few CMC ensemble members actually take this into the South Eastern US now. Most still go out to sea, but there is a possibility, especially if the westward trend continues.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Unlike Ida, Larry will be a classic Cape Verde monster with plenty of time over open ocean, and if these models are to be believed then I personally would not be shocked if he attains Category 5 status at one point. I mean, Isabel, Ivan, Irma, Lorenzo, and Hugo did the same
6 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:27 pm

kevin wrote:Yeah, one or two SW shifts weren't that bad, but now we're at the point that I'm really getting concerned. Euro 12z almost gets to Bermuda (I think it perhaps even makes landfall there this run but it's difficult to see) and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more W shifts in the next few runs. Also 944 mbar :eek:.

https://imgur.com/RH6p7eD

Yeah, but all models and nearly every ensemble suggests no hint of impact on NE Caribbean or CONUS. Bermuda & Maritimes based only on the modeling data we have are the only areas to be concerned about. Obviously that can change going out multiple days. No hint of that West bend late in the forecast, that’s when you get concerned.
Last edited by Blown Away on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby sma10 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:27 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:I'm not too concerned about it at this time, honestly, it's just interesting to see that models have had issues with how strong ridging actually is, and a part of that is likely no actual sampling in the middle of the ocean... Bermuda might not get so lucky though...

Yes, some concern for Bermuda, but not overly worried about the Carib Islands or US.

I have seen these types of model shifts many, many times, and have noticed one specific pattern: so long as the general shape of the modeled path remains smoothly parabolic, the storm will curve safely away. It may curve a little later than originally thought (and indeed may smack into Bermuda while it's curving) but the path is fairly reliable.

The warning sign to look for is a significant leftward bend. Now THAT is serious trouble, and something to keep a look out for.
3 likes   

Bizzles
Category 1
Category 1

#111 Postby Bizzles » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:59 pm

I was still a few months from being born, but could this be analog to Gloria '85 track-wise just a few hundred miles east (we hope)?
1 likes   
Andrew '92 Opal '95 Blizzard '96 Izzy '03 Irene '11 Sandy '12

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion is not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:05 pm

sma10 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:I'm not too concerned about it at this time, honestly, it's just interesting to see that models have had issues with how strong ridging actually is, and a part of that is likely no actual sampling in the middle of the ocean... Bermuda might not get so lucky though...

Yes, some concern for Bermuda, but not overly worried about the Carib Islands or US.

I have seen these types of model shifts many, many times, and have noticed one specific pattern: so long as the general shape of the modeled path remains smoothly parabolic, the storm will curve safely away. It may curve a little later than originally thought (and indeed may smack into Bermuda while it's curving) but the path is fairly reliable.

The warning sign to look for is a significant leftward bend. Now THAT is serious trouble, and something to keep a look out for.

There are a few ensembles on the Euro and GFS that do that
3 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby sma10 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
sma10 wrote:

There are a few ensembles on the Euro and GFS that do that

Yup. And that is what I look for in the ensembles. To see if more and more members start to sniff a trend. Right now the pct is very low.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#114 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:19 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#115 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm

0Z

12Z

Most of the ensembles are going NW at 120 hrs vs NNW. Threat to Bermuda certainly increasing.
5 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:20 pm

are models not picking up with high to his north maybe stronger and forecast because we seen more stift to west past few runs???
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#117 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:43 pm

floridasun78 wrote:are models not picking up with high to his north maybe stronger and forecast because we seen more stift to west past few runs???

The main change I see in the GFS over the next 72 hours is the storm being further west (moving faster) then earlier runs. That gets it under the ridge quicker and keeps it further west and south.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:58 pm

RL3AO wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:are models not picking up with high to his north maybe stronger and forecast because we seen more stift to west past few runs???

The main change I see in the GFS over the next 72 hours is the storm being further west (moving faster) then earlier runs. That gets it under the ridge quicker and keeps it further west and south.

you right because nhc keep moving track more west
0 likes   

Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2

#119 Postby Kohlecane » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:19 pm

Stronger ridging on the 18z hmmm :roll:
This is going to come down to that Trough and how deep it digs, I am still saying OTS but like others have said chances of Bermuda impact are increasing sig. as these runs goe, and unless we see some pull backs E or N, I will be keeping an eye on this close being in SC and family all up the E seaboard I mean it is Peak time so everyone should be tracking closer regardless, we have seen some interesting set-ups this season thus far
Last edited by Kohlecane on Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:24 pm

18z GFS is @1 degree S and 5 degrees W compared to 06z this morning. Fortunately no matter how much SW adjustment, it doesn’t appear NE Caribbean is in play at this point.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Return to “2021”