Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: MINDY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#302 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:46 pm

saved loop
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#303 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:Long loop
https://imgur.com/IWhROQX

Yet another "if this had 24 more hours over water" storm.
9 likes   

jdray
Category 3
Category 3

#304 Postby jdray » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 pm

I think one of our local meteorologists (John Gaughan) says it best:

https://www.news4jax.com/weather/2021/0 ... ksonville/

Mindy never had the chance to really organize, and arguably was caught up in a very diffluent upper-level wind pattern, which allowed for her brief existence.

OK, enough with the meteorological jargon. Basically, Mindy wasn’t a classic system and is similar to an area of low pressure that developed over the Bahamas in July.

Unlike Mindy, that system was never named (it should have been named Fred). Actually, that system looked very impressive and had a well-defined circulation -- as hurricane hunters checked the system, they verified the strong surface circulation. But, hurricane hunters also determined the atmosphere was particularly dry and the National Hurricane Center decided not to name that system.

The should have looked the other way with this system as well, but alas, the National Hurricane Center went for it.
4 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#305 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:52 pm

jdray wrote:I think one of our local meteorologists (John Gaughan) says it best:

Mindy never had the chance to really organize, and arguably was caught up in a very diffluent upper-level wind pattern, which allowed for her brief existence.

OK, enough with the meteorological jargon. Basically, Mindy wasn’t a classic system and is similar to an area of low pressure that developed over the Bahamas in July.

Unlike Mindy, that system was never named (it should have been named Fred). Actually, that system looked very impressive and had a well-defined circulation -- as hurricane hunters checked the system, they verified the strong surface circulation. But, hurricane hunters also determined the atmosphere was particularly dry and the National Hurricane Center decided not to name that system.

The should have looked the other way with this system as well, but alas, the National Hurricane Center went for it.

I love how he finds a way to criticize them for both decisions. :roll:
14 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#306 Postby NDG » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Alligator Point reporting 58 mph wind gusts.

4 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#307 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 pm

Any questions?
4 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#308 Postby AtlanticWind » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:49 pm

jdray wrote:I think one of our local meteorologists (John Gaughan) says it best:

My opinion is that is a completely wrong assessment, this was and is clearly a T.S.
1002 mb and many verified winds of T.S strength and a clear circulation on radar
This was an easy call for the NHC as far as I see.
12 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#309 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:54 am

2 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#310 Postby TallyTracker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:23 am

The power is out for me here in Tallahassee. It must’ve gone out when the center moved through. The outage map shows about 8000 people impacted by outages across the area.
0 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MINDY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#311 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:46 am

For clarification: the NHC only names systems when they feel like they have enough evidence that they are storms. If they were just concerned about issuing warnings, they would have used the Potential Tropical Cyclone designation.
6 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#312 Postby TallyTracker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:48 am

TallyTracker wrote:The power is out for me here in Tallahassee. It must’ve gone out when the center moved through. The outage map shows about 8000 people impacted by outages across the area.

I checked my stove clock and the power was out for a couple of hours overnight. The Tallahassee Electric is still saying about 2000 people don’t have power. Also there was a lot of tree debris down. The center was pretty blustery. Everything points to Mindy being a legit tropical storm. No severe impacts but I think the NHC was spot on with their assessment of a 45 mph TS.
3 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#313 Postby Dean4Storms » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:55 am

Like I said earlier post, it was a very small circulation hard to detect using just buoys when they're well over 100 miles apart and this was so small. But the landfall Obs clearly picked up on a small closed circulation and thus NHC was correct in classifying it.
Another day over water and it might have become a small hurricane.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#314 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:11 am

AtlanticWind wrote:

My opinion is that is a completely wrong assessment, this was and is clearly a T.S.
1002 mb and many verified winds of T.S strength and a clear circulation on radar
This was an easy call for the NHC as far as I see.

Yes, clearly it was a TS, the LLC passed really closed to buoy 42039 where the NHC saw it reporting a tight pressure gradient along with TS force winds, it went from 1013 mb to 1006mb in a fairly short period of time along with persistent gusty winds for at least 2 hrs that were not from just a thunderstorm. It was pure pressure gradient winds.
5 likes   

Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2

#315 Postby Kohlecane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:40 am

tolakram wrote:

I love how he finds a way to criticize them for both decisions. :roll:

:uarrow: If he is referring to old 90L, I wouldn't necessarily say "over the Bahamas" either, It was practically at it's best about 200(+/-) miles E. of Titusville/CapeC up at like <60% It did drift a little south but it was never sitting over Grand Bahama or anything :lol: Although that was an interesting set up coming off of SE GA/SC only to drift out a few hundred miles and come almost right back into where it came from, Any FWIW: This area he is describing was only an Invest for a total of 72 hours, where as Mindy was an Invest for a week before jumping quickly through the ranks. On another note pretty heavy downpours in the Low Country here did not have my gauge set up yesterday but I posted a photo, but as of this morning since 6AM EST so far 1.6" winds are calm/few flashes of lightning.
1 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

Zonacane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#316 Postby Zonacane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:02 am

Ubuntwo wrote:Long loop
https://imgur.com/IWhROQX

In case there was any doubt, that's a tropical storm.
1 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: MINDY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#317 Postby Sanibel » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:33 am

Looks like the GOM is primed and capable of bringing even weak systems to life...
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#318 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:51 am

0 likes   

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#319 Postby TallyTracker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:31 pm

Mindy may be declared post-tropical on the next advisory. The convection north of the center appears to be frontal and no longer associated with Mindy’s circulation.
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#320 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:58 pm

0 likes   

Return to “2021”