ATL: MINDY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

ATL: MINDY - Models

#1 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:19 am

Two models show vorticity making it up to the Texas coast, while the GFS buries most of it as a week disturbance into Mexico. Something to keep an eye on for sure, but not a lot of support yet.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

HoustonFrog
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Models

#2 Postby HoustonFrog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:03 pm

If I'm looking at right system, CMC 12z has it run into Galveston on Sept 9th. Although the CMC seems to flip flop every other run.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm

There's some support in the 12z CMC and ICON runs. Both get 91L into the BoC and also suggest the possibility of yet another WCar system next week. Looks like this'll be a hotspot throughout the rest of peak season.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:21 pm

aspen wrote:There's some support in the 12z CMC and ICON runs. Both get 91L into the BoC and also suggest the possibility of yet another WCar system next week. Looks like this'll be a hotspot throughout the rest of peak season.

Please be very careful making maps with names, you'll sometimes see these show up in other places. PLEASE DO NOT NAME STORMS until they are named.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:38 pm

tolakram wrote:
aspen wrote:There's some support in the 12z CMC and ICON runs. Both get 91L into the BoC and also suggest the possibility of yet another WCar system next week. Looks like this'll be a hotspot throughout the rest of peak season.

Please be very careful making maps with names, you'll sometimes see these show up in other places. PLEASE DO NOT NAME STORMS until they are named.

That’s why I refrained naming either of the disturbances in the ICON run, because it’s impossible to tell which one would be Mindy and which would be Nicholas. In the CMC scenario nothing else develops within 7 days except 91L, so it would be Mindy if that plays out. But I’ll refrain from naming disturbances in future posts.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm

aspen wrote:
tolakram wrote:

That’s why I refrained naming either of the disturbances in the ICON run, because it’s impossible to tell which one would be Mindy and which would be Nicholas. In the CMC scenario nothing else develops within 7 days except 91L, so it would be Mindy if that plays out. But I’ll refrain from naming disturbances in future posts.

I think his point is more that some users and guests may later repost these maps to other websites and social media, and folks without any knowledge of meteorology will treat them as indications of a storm (e.g. "Mindy" in this case) forming. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Thinking about it, I would say having the same maps with "TS 91L" and "H 91L" instead of "TS Mindy" and "H Mindy" might be a good compromise. I do love these clear, well-made visuals a lot more than just plain text describing the model storms/vorticity and instructions to check Tropical Tidbits.
Last edited by Teban54 on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Teban54 wrote:
aspen wrote:
tolakram wrote:

I think his point is more that some users and guests may later repost these maps to other websites and social media, and folks without any knowledge of meteorology will treat them as indications of a storm (e.g. "Mindy" in this case) forming. I could be wrong though.

Yea, it's a concern. Maps with names seem to be easily lifted and posted with us as a source. I'm going to take the maps down, feel free to repost with comments rather than edited images.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

hcane27
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby hcane27 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm

I believe that taking them down is the best avenue to use. One of the worst processes to open and not be able to shut is that which gives those with a little bit of knowledge about very complex actions makimg them want to appear to have much more wisdom then they truly have.
0 likes   

HoustonFrog
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby HoustonFrog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:12 pm

I would say that having models where each storm is labeled is a huge help, especially when there's a few different invests or futures areas going on. But being labeled according to Storm2k labels is just fine/better.
1 likes   

HoustonFrog
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby HoustonFrog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:11 pm

GFS 18z now stirring something up around the 8th/9th near Galveston like the CMC
0 likes   

HoustonFrog
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#11 Postby HoustonFrog » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:17 pm

0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#12 Postby IcyTundra » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:30 pm

CMC and GFS take a long time to develop anything it kind of just meanders in the Bay of Campeche for several days before doing anything. GFS doesn't close off a low until it's right off the coast while the CMC does it much earlier and is able to develop into a strong TS or even maybe a weak cat 1 briefly. The ensembles still aren't showing much for 91L yet so I'm not too worried, but I'll still keep an eye on it.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:53 pm

IcyTundra wrote:CMC and GFS take a long time to develop anything it kind of just meanders in the Bay of Campeche for several days before doing anything. GFS doesn't close off a low until it's right off the coast while the CMC does it much earlier and is able to develop into a strong TS or even maybe a weak cat 1 briefly. The ensembles still aren't showing much for 91L yet so I'm not too worried, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

Give me a weak storm. I need some rain!
1 likes   

mpic
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby mpic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:20 am

HoustonFrog wrote:GFS 18z now stirring something up around the 8th/9th near Galveston like the CMC

It figures because I only have one appointment this month and it's on the 10th.
0 likes   
NE of Houston

SohCahToa
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#15 Postby SohCahToa » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
IcyTundra wrote:CMC and GFS take a long time to develop anything it kind of just meanders in the Bay of Campeche for several days before doing anything. GFS doesn't close off a low until it's right off the coast while the CMC does it much earlier and is able to develop into a strong TS or even maybe a weak cat 1 briefly. The ensembles still aren't showing much for 91L yet so I'm not too worried, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

Give me a weak storm. I need some rain!

Wait until my roof is repaired :lol:
1 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#16 Postby Clearcloudz » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:15 pm

18Z GEFS

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#17 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:52 am

and suddenly the Euro now sees a small storm

The CMC, which saw this days ago, has shifted to the panhandle.

as has the GFS, but later, and with a sharp left turn right at landfall.

ICON only goes to 120 but now sees a low as well.

5 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#18 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:54 am

12Z ICON has a closed low that drifts very slowly northward in the Gulf of Mexico

12Z GFS continues to show development goes north before it is pulled to the east by a trough.

12Z ECMWF

Last edited by IcyTundra on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#19 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:13 pm

91L GFS ensemble members.

0 likes   

Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2

#20 Postby Kohlecane » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:01 pm

IcyTundra wrote:91L GFS ensemble members.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/91L_gefs_latest.png

I mean it's a good Median :lol:
0 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

Return to “2021”