ATL: NICHOLAS - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: NICHOLAS - Models

#221 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm

Ends at 90 hours still sitting on Houston.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#222 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:15 pm

I remember not believing the Harvey rainfall model totals. Really hard to believe one model, and hopefully if Nick stays offshore this won't verify.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#223 Postby sphelps8681 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:18 pm

We had over 50 in of rain with Harvey. My town was like an island and basically no way in or out. Not looking forward to this rain for East Tx.
1 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

So this run of the Euro stalls close to the coast.
Running out of time for a consensus but as WXman57 suggests just remain calm and hope this gulps a lot of dry air or something.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#225 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#226 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 pm

Interesting that the Euro goes against the idea that areas closest to the coast will receive the most rainfall instead suggesting that areas inland could be looking at the most rain. Then again the Euro is pretty much the furthest west out of all of the models and as we all know models have a very hard time with predicting exact rainfall totals. Right now I am trusting the NHC forecast with a landfall near Matagorda Bay as usually they are very accurate this close to landfall.
0 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#227 Postby sphelps8681 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm

So on the live briefings of the NWS in my area they all ways say that what rain they forecast you need to double it. Why is that? They are forecasting 10-15 in in my area but we need to double that. Just curious as to why.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#228 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:27 pm

sphelps8681 wrote:So on the live briefings of the NWS in my area they all ways say that what rain they forecast you need to double it. Why is that? They are forecasting 10-15 in in my area but we need to double that. Just curious as to why.

This is very odd. Your forecast is your forecast. Why not forecast 20" if that's what they think? Makes no sense and is somewhat reckless.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#229 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:27 pm

sphelps8681 wrote:So on the live briefings of the NWS in my area they all ways say that what rain they forecast you need to double it. Why is that? They are forecasting 10-15 in in my area but we need to double that. Just curious as to why.

I have never heard that before but in general it is very hard to predict exact rain amounts for specific areas and rainfall forecasts can often be conservative due to the uncertainty, but the other hand you could easily end up with less rainfall than is predicted for your area.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm

SoupBone wrote:

This is very odd. Your forecast is your forecast. Why not forecast 20" if that's what they think? Makes no sense and is somewhat reckless.

Sounds like media sensationalism/hype to me for ratings.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#231 Postby sphelps8681 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 pm

SoupBone wrote:

They have been saying that with the last couple of storms. Not sure why. I will ask on the next briefing at 10:30pm.
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#232 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Wow I'm scared now. My area has made a lot of improvements to make sure it doesn't flood like it has in the past but :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   

kassi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#233 Postby kassi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:33 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Sounds like media sensationalism/hype to me for ratings.

sphelps8681 is talking about NWS LCH, who forecasts for extreme SE TX and they don't tend to hype things. Unfortunately, the weather here and in Louisiana the past few years hasn't "needed" hyping. :roll:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:33 pm

18z Euro has a lot less coverage on rainfall than the 12z did. These rainfall forecasts are pretty much a crapshoot right now as far as location goes. These high totals could be anywhere.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#235 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Cpv17 wrote:18z Euro has a lot less coverage on rainfall than the 12z did. These rainfall forecasts are pretty much a crapshoot right now.

You go from the GFS which dumps a lot of rain, but manageable to the Euro that stalls out and creates very obvious flooding issues. It's pretty nuts.
Last edited by SoupBone on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#236 Postby Senobia » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 pm

If you're talking about Donald Jones out of Lake Charles, he clearly said to double it to understand the potential of heavier rainfall in certain areas due to training bands, if they happen. They're going to happen somewhere, he just doesn't know where. He was speaking more in terms of worst case scenario.
2 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#237 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:37 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:18z Euro has a lot less coverage on rainfall than the 12z did. These rainfall forecasts are pretty much a crapshoot right now.

You go from the GFS which dumps a lot of rain, but manageable to the Euro that stalls out and creates very obvious flooding issues. It's pretty nuts.

Hopefully NHC and NWS have a good grip on this by tomorrow morning at the latest.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#238 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Hopefully NHC and NWS have a good grip on this by tomorrow morning at the latest.

NHC said in their 4PM advisory discussion that the GFS has been the more consistent model so they are leaning more towards the GFS solution which is stronger and further east than the euro meaning the rain totals will be slightly less than what the euro is showing.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:44 pm

IcyTundra wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

NHC said in their 4PM advisory discussion that the GFS has been the more consistent model so they are leaning more towards the GFS solution which is stronger and further east than the euro meaning the rain totals will be slightly less than what the euro is showing.

It's not slightly less though. It's the difference between 9 manageable inches versus 15-20". I really hope the GFS is right.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#240 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:45 pm

SoupBone wrote:
IcyTundra wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:

It's not slightly less though. It's the difference between 9 manageable inches versus 15-20". I really hope the GFS is right.

True but you know what I was trying to say.
2 likes   

Return to “2021”