Breaking News=Hundreds feared dead in Biloxi - Reuters

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Solaris
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Breaking News=Hundreds feared dead in Biloxi - Reuters

#1 Postby Solaris » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:25 pm

Biloxi fears hundreds dead after Katrina

BILOXI, Miss., Aug 30 (Reuters) - Hundreds may have been killed by Hurricane Katrina in the Mississippi Gulf Coast city of Biloxi after being trapped in their homes when a 30-foot (9 metre) storm surge came ashore, a spokesman for the city said on Tuesday.
"It's going to be in the hundreds," Vincent Creel told Reuters. "Camille was 200, and we're looking at a lot more than that," he said, referring to Hurricane Camille, which hit the area in 1969 and destroyed swaths of Mississippi and Louisiana.

2005-08-30 18:10:15 GMT (Reuters)
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby jopatura » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:31 pm

The scary thing is that we're gonna see this over and over again in any semi-good sized city along the Gulf Coast. My god, why didn't these people just leave.
0 likes   

ColdWaterConch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby ColdWaterConch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:31 pm

An Assosiated Press reporter on the beach in Biloxi says it "looks like a free-for-all," as looters come running out of souvenir shops, loaded down with merchandise.

He saw two men riding go-carts taken from an amusement park near the beach.

Two men were pushing a large plastic garbage can with wheels -- so full that it took both of them to drag it down the street.
------------

I guess some of them survived.....
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:32 pm

Yeah... CNN just reported that.

We still aren't hearing from SE LA...
0 likes   
#neversummer

canegrl04
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby canegrl04 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:33 pm

CNN reported this,too. Also "many" dead in Bay St. Louis. They are putting black magic marker marks on doors where there are dead.Red on doors of people who are injured :( Thousands will be among the dead I fear :(
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 pm

ColdWaterConch wrote:An Assosiated Press reporter on the beach in Biloxi says it "looks like a free-for-all," as looters come running out of souvenir shops, loaded down with merchandise.

He saw two men riding go-carts taken from an amusement park near the beach.

Two men were pushing a large plastic garbage can with wheels -- so full that it took both of them to drag it down the street.
------------

I guess some of them survived.....

I shouldn't say this, but they should be shot!!! :grr:
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby HurryKane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 pm

Honestly, I hope the looters die of some horrible disease that causes their genitals to rot off, then their faces to become horribly disfigured, and then their guts to crawl out of their body with sharp spears.

Disgusting.
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby HurryKane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:37 pm

canegrl04 wrote:CNN reported this,too. Also "many" dead in Bay St. Louis. They are putting black magic marker marks on doors where there are dead.Red on doors of people who are injured :(

Oh no no no no no. :(
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:37 pm

HurryKane wrote:Honestly, I hope the looters die of some horrible disease that causes their genitals to rot off, then their faces to become horribly disfigured, and then their guts to crawl out of their body with sharp spears.

Disgusting.

ALRIGHTY THEN!!! :eek:

...have to agree with you there...
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby scostorms » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:38 pm

I don't know about the looters. In many cases, looting is probably their only way of survival at this moment. Without food or clean water what is more important? Waiting to die, or getting the supplies. In the case of things other than food, well criminal punishment should be sought.
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby HurryKane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:42 pm

Stephanie wrote:
HurryKane wrote:Honestly, I hope the looters die of some horrible disease that causes their genitals to rot off, then their faces to become horribly disfigured, and then their guts to crawl out of their body with sharp spears.

Disgusting.

ALRIGHTY THEN!!! :eek:

...have to agree with you there...

Yeah. I probably should amend that to

"the looters who are stealing items which are not essential to basic survival and won't even be usuable for a month anyway, or who are stealing items from peoples' destroyed homes, should die of some horrible disease...."
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Canelaw99 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:46 pm

jopatura wrote: My god, why didn't these people just leave.

I've been wondering this same, exact thing.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby x-y-no » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:49 pm

scostorms wrote:I don't know about the looters. In many cases, looting is probably their only way of survival at this moment. Without food or clean water what is more important? Waiting to die, or getting the supplies. In the case of things other than food, well criminal punishment should be sought.

Maybe ... just maybe water and food would be excusable if and only if they first attempted to contact rescue/relief workers for supplies and simply were unable to get anything.

But that's not what's going on with 99.9% of all looting. Looting is people just stealing whatever they can get their hands on.
0 likes   

tzirinis
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#14 Postby tzirinis » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:52 pm

CNN reported this,too. Also "many" dead in Bay St. Louis. They are putting black magic marker marks on doors where there are dead.Red on doors of people who are injured

I am seriously about to break into tears here at work. This is just so overwhelming. I can't even fathom living through something like this. It makes complaining about going through Jeanne & Frances last year seem so petty. :cry: :cry: :cry: My heart is breaking for all these victims.
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby HurricaneGirl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:54 pm

:uarrow: :cry: Me too! I just cannot describe what I'm feeling. All I can do is cry and pray for the people who lost their lives and the survivors who have been and continue to be traumatized by this storm.
0 likes   

RevDodd
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby RevDodd » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

Yeah...you never know when you'll need a go-kart or a big ol' bag of stolen souvenirs to survive.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#17 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

x-y-no wrote:
scostorms wrote:I don't know about the looters. In many cases, looting is probably their only way of survival at this moment. Without food or clean water what is more important? Waiting to die, or getting the supplies. In the case of things other than food, well criminal punishment should be sought.

Maybe ... just maybe water and food would be excusable if and only if they first attempted to contact rescue/relief workers for supplies and simply were unable to get anything.

But that's not what's going on with 99.9% of all looting. Looting is people just stealing whatever they can get their hands on.

I agree...in a sense. If it was not true "looting" but rather salvaging of supplies and food, that they could and would share and distribute, if salvaged before flood waters destroy them. Then, that *might* be excusable. After all, the store owners may be more concerned about their homes and family right now than their businesses. They might be heartbroken to see so much food gone to waste because of rising flood waters. Heck, if it was me and I knew I was going to have to deal with the loss of a store anyway, I'd rather know that someone took it and put it to good use instead of seeing tons of food gone to total waste.
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#18 Postby Jim Cantore » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

I hate to say it but I'd be shocked if they dont find 100 dead there :cry:
0 likes   

wlfpack81
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby wlfpack81 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:58 pm

Stephanie wrote:I shouldn't say this, but they should be shot!!! :grr:

Well, the second mod to make this statement. Guess it's now a free for all on comments on the board. Arrest these people but DON'T SHOOT THEM. We have something called due process were people are arrested and sent to jail not shot on site like this is the wild wild west. Yes looting is bad but YOU JUST SIMPLY CAN'T SHOOT PEOPLE ON SITE LIKE THAT. I mean come on we're supposed to be such a great loving Christian country :roll: Shooting on site would be going against God's wishes would it not!? I mean we don't do stuff like that here....

Ok time to take a break before I really let my opinions fly and get banned from here.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Hurricane Floyd wrote:I hate to say it but I'd be shocked if they dont find 100 dead there :cry:

If all that are feared dead really are dead, it's going to be a lot higher than 100...
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”