Palm Beach County School District Taking Risks? Read...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MiamiensisWx

Palm Beach County School District Taking Risks? Read...

#1 Postby MiamiensisWx » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 pm

I've noticed that recently, notably with Katrina, the School District here in Palm Beach County (southeastern Florida) have waited until nearly the last minute to close schools - that is, if they did. I think this reveals (I'm not trying to sound political) how the School District is under pressure for FCAT preparation and county school performance and how low funding may be squeezing the district very, very badly... all due to the pressure partly from No Child Left Behind.

Any thoughts or solutions? Having to take risks like this because you are pressured and can't help it may very well be over the line. Sorry... just my thoughts.

Anyone else in Palm Beach County or southeast Florida have thoughts?
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby bosag » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 am

Well I have 2 kids in school here in Jupiter, and I could care less about the FCATS. I have no problem keeping them out of school on Friday if need be. Unfortunately my 5 yr old is supposed to go on a field trip to our local pumpkin patch-he may be sorely disaggpointed:(.

Barb
0 likes   

MiaMom
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby MiaMom » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:18 am

I totally agree with Bosag. Who cares what the school board thinks. Unless you are a teacher in the PBC schools, which would make you unfortunately unable to prepare yourself and stuck calming down a bunch of excited and scared children to boot, with a steady stream of parents entering and exiting the classroom throughout the day picking up kids and disrupting the learning environment.

Miami-Dade public schools have finally this year started calling it right for hurricane-related school closures, but in the past, no hesitation here to pull offspring out of school even several days in advance to leave town, help put up shutters in advance of weather, or simply to avoid potentially dangerous roads and school pick up or drop off because of rain, lightning, etc.

Politicians :grr:
0 likes   

HurriCat

#4 Postby HurriCat » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:28 am

Our school district had let the schools close prior to Charley, but worked the district employees until like 12:30 or so the day of landfall. After a dangerous commute home, I had just a little time to touch up preparations and then the feeder bands came across. Folks - especially employers - need to realize that conditions become risky well before landfall. If Wilma tracks towards Central FL, I'll not hesitate to (cough-cough) pull up lame Friday morning. That paperwork will wait until Monday morning (or whenever), believe me.
0 likes   

bosag
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby bosag » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 am

Im supposed to got into work at 6pm on Saturday nite at Publix, and I can tell you right now, IT AINT HAPPENING!!!. Publix, I think has been pretty good about closing early I think, at least thats what I saw w/ Katrina.

Barb
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”