Have any of you ever purchased a puppy from a pet store?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

Have any of you ever purchased a puppy from a pet store?

#1 Postby cajungal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:04 pm

Just wanted some opinions. We have been actively looking for a yorkie puppy since around July or August. My parents bought my yorkie Lacey from a pet store in Houma. They used to have one in the mall called Pups N Pets. It closed down not long after my parents bought Lacey. I was only 15 when my parents surprized me with Lacey. They paid $400 for her. She was the best dog ever. She rarely got sick. And she was soo smart! She acted more like a human than a dog. It is like she understood everything we had to say. She got diagnosed with chonic kidney failure around Easter of this year. She was 13 years old. We took her to the vets 3 times a week for fluid shots just to keep her alive. My mom even took a loan out to pay for it because that is how much she loved that dog. We all loved Lacey with all of our heart. My dad took it very hard when my mom had to put Lacey to sleep June 30th of this year. Only 5 days after my birthday. Lacey was a daddy's girl. He spoiled her so much.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off the subject. We have been looking all over for another yorkie puppy. But, we have been very limited in finding one around our area. There has not been a yorkie listed in our paper for at least 6 months. But, I did manage to find 2 yorkie breeders within a 5 mile radius of my town. The first one was a lady in Thibodaux that I found off Louisiana classifieds. I called her up and my mom and I drove to her house which is only about 10 minutes away. And we met her yorkies which were so beautiful. We put our name down for a female. She e-mailed me and the puppies were born on December 28th. 2 females and 1 male. But, 1 female went to her daughter, and the other female went to the lady who owned the male. (usually who ever provides the stud gets pick of the litter and they usually always choose a female.) Even if we wanted the male, he is sold as well. So, we found another breeder also about 5 miles away. She had 2 litters of puppies and sadly none of the puppies made it. Yorkies are so small and delicate breed, that sometimes these things just happen. She said she is breeding her yorkie this week and if pregnancy occurs, we would be first on her list for a female. Puppies will probably be ready by April. But, we don't want to take a chance of the same thing happening again. And April is still a long ways off.

That is why we are thinking of going with the pet store. Pet Express in Houma is getting a yorkie litter 3rd week of January. 1 female and 2 males. We want the female. Because we ran out of options. There were lots of yorkies listed in Lafayette and New Orleans. But, never have a ride to get there. My mom and I only drive around the Houma-Thibodaux area. We get lost very easy and just don't feel comfortable. The only one who could drive us is my dad and he works offshore 7/7. And on his week in, he is always going hunting. At least at the pet store, if we find out the exact date and show up right when the store opens, we will definitly have the female yorkie. I heard a lot of bad things about pet stores. That all puppies sold to pet stores are puppy mill dogs. But, Pet Express has an excellent reputation. All their puppies are from local breeders and the only reason they sell to them is because they don't want a lot of strangers going in and out their home. And the selling price for a yorkie female is $900 at the pet store. That is the same exact price the breeder was going to charge us. I talked to several people that bought their puppies from Pet Express and have not had a problem with their pets. Lacey was a pet store puppy and had not had a problem with her at all. Anyone else ever bought their puppy from a pet store?
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:28 pm

We bought a Golden from a farmer, way out in the country. Thankfully, not a puppy mill - one mom, one dad, a litter of pups. Kept warm and snug in the barn, in a large pen. However they were not raised in a home, and also not OFA certified (hips, eyes, heart). We took her to a Vet most of my neighbors used and he asked where we got her from. I explained that we found an ad in the paper, drove an hour and half from home and brought Hope home. This is when he let a big, big sigh. I showed him her papers, he didn't see anything OFA noted. Another sigh. Long story short, we had a 6 month wait for hip/eye/heart over breeding complications to show up. If they had, we might have had a very difficult decision - costly surgery or to put her down. After of course we grew very attached to her. Fortunately, she was free of these potential life threatening concerns with Goldens. The Vet said we got VERY lucky. He then told me what he wished we had done....

1. Find a reputable Vet.
2. Call him, explaining which specific breed you want.
3. Ask him if he knows of any extremely reputable breeders that he could recommend.
4. Breeders that do not over breed their female/male, check closely for ailments that could show up (the OFA seal).
5. Breeders that allow the pups to live in their home, with the mother, handled from the beginning by gentle, caring adults.

If we ever get another pedigree dog, it will be this way.

But I suspect my next dog will be a shelter rescue.

Mary
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby cajungal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 pm

We were not planning to get our next yorkie puppy from a pet store. But, we ran out of options. It would be easier if we were not so limited because of location. Because both my mom and I only drive around our local area. I called the vets for yorkie breeders in our local area. No luck. Called Petsmart. No luck. Put an ad on Louisiana classifieds. Not much luck. A few calls, but nothing closeby, so had no way to get there. We don't have any other pets. The house is too quiet. We are very anxious for another yorkie puppy to love. We did find 2 breeders in our local area, but I already stated in the previous post what happened. The only reason we are considering Pet Express is because they do have a very good reputation. And we don't have to worry about being on a waiting list or the puppy getting sold right under our noses. It is first come, first served. We will check the puppy out first. We owned a yorkie for 13 and half years and did a lot of research on the breed, so we know what to look for. But, I think we have a better chance of getting a puppy. Since there is only 1 female arriving at the store, we will have to jump on it right away. Because yorkie are in very high demand in my area. They had a shipment of yorkie puppies December 23rd. And the owner said all 3 puppies were sold in a matter of a couple of hours. And the breeder jacked up the price to $1200 since it was only a couple of days before Christmas. The prices for the female yorkie that will be arriving in a few weeks, is priced at $900. That is the same exact amount that both local yorkie breeders here were going to charge us. We paid $400 for Lacey in 1992, but prices for yorkies have went way up. I fell in love with the yorkie breed, and now I don't feel I could even consider getting another breed. My mom feels the same way. It is just something about yorkies that just makes our heart melt.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby gtalum » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:47 pm

Personally I would recommend getting a free puppy at the pound. Lots of good dogs need loving homes.

But then, I don't like professional breeders and choose not to support them.
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby cajungal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:49 pm

gtalum wrote:Personally I would recommend getting a free puppy at the pound. Lots of good dogs need loving homes.

But then, I don't like professional breeders and choose not to support them.
We tried that option as well. There are no yorkies at the pound. If a yorkie ever makes it to our local pound, somebody would probably grab it in 10 minutes. That is how high the demand is for yorkies in our area. Almost everyone wants one.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#6 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:15 pm

I think what gtalum meant was a puppy, of mixed breeds at your local shelter.

If it's the right mix, sometimes they make the best dogs!

Mary
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby cajungal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:24 pm

We are sticking to pure bred. We are looking for a female yorkie puppy in the 8-12 week range. I am not saying mix breeds don't make wonderful pets as well. Our first dog was a chihihihua mix. (never can spell it right, sorry) My parents got her a year before I was born. Her name was Mitzi. She was a mix, but strongly took over the chihihihua trait. She was loyal towards us, but very aggresive against strangers. And the only males she liked was my brother and my dad. She lived to be 17 years old and died of heart failure. Since they got her a year before I was even born, she already started to get fairly old by the time I was old enough to help care for her. I know most people may think we are crazy for spending $900 for a yorkie, but we have the money now. My grandpa gave my mom a very nice sum of money for Christmas. And he said we can do whatever we want with it. And we would still have a very large amount left over. We got our hearts set on a yorkie female and that is what we are going to get. Her name will be Chloe Cheyenne.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Great points Miss Mary!

If you weren't looking for a specific breed cajungal, then I would definately go to the local animal shelter.

Rudy is a pure-bred Boston Terrier that Marty purchased from a breeder.

My cats Derby (RIP), Mac & Milo are strays that we brought in. Gipper is a pet store kitty. He was a Mother's Day gift. :D
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby alicia-w » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:44 pm

There is a 2 yr old Yorkie at the pound here in FWB....

http://www.paws-shelter.com/seiten/petsonparade.php
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Tstormwatcher » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Sorry, but I could never understand why someone is willing to shell out almost $1000 for a dog when there are hundreds of dogs in shelters that desperatly need to be adopted. Why encourage puppy mills and breeders to keep producing pups. For the record we have 3 pound puppies with one being a full blooded Husky. The third one we got was only hours away from be put down and she has been the most loyal and protective of the three.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby artist » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:08 pm

in the state of Tx there are allllllll of these yorkies available!

See Also: Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie, More... Organization Dominant breed Age M/F Name Pic Features
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Moose OH
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Bogie TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Joey TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Young M Cruise TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Boomer TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Senior F Noelle TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Young F Tootsie TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult F Charm FL
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult F Sarah UT
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Young M Keegan TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Baby F Cheyenne OH
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Baby M Burkley WI
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult F Halley WA
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Tazz TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Simon TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Senior M Foster CA
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Buzz TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Senior F Corkey TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult F Lulu TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Morgan FL
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Cody TX
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Baby M Max OH
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Duffy FL
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Senior M Gaston AZ
United Yorkie Rescue
Fostered Nationally, TX
Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie Adult M Shiner WA

Next 25

You need to go to this site and put in yorkie and tx - sureley you could rescue one that might otherwise never get a home -

http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby artist » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:10 pm

here is the organization page that has these yorkies for adoption -

http://www.unitedyorkierescue.org/
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby cajungal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Well, I won't be getting my puppy in a pet store after all. The breeder in Thibodaux called us yesterday morning. The lady that was supposed to buy a female puppy from her backed out. (she owns the daddy and whoever provides the stud usually gets pick of the litter) She said she needs to repair her home from Rita and Katrina and it would not be the time for a new puppy afterall. So, the female puppy goes back for sale and it is going to be ours. My mom and I are going to put up the deposit tonight. The puppies are only 10 days old. So, we won't be getting her until she probably close to the end of February. The other female goes to her daughter and the daughter gets to pick which female she wants. So, we won't know which female we will get until she is almost ready to go home. But, I am so excited! I will love her no matter which one we get!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#14 Postby Miss Mary » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Well, that's nice it worked out for you cajunagal and you got the very pedigree you wanted.

However, just reading all of the trouble you've gone to and at such great lengths to own a very specific, expensive pedigree dog, makes me want a shelter dog next time.

Because so very, very many need loving homes and are put to sleep every single day.

But good luck to you no matter, you've just made me more determined to rescue a dog when ours, God-forbid it's years from now, passes on.

Mary
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby cajungal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:09 pm

There probably won't be another dog after her. She is going to be our 3rd dog that we owned. Our first was a chihihua mix. Her name was Mitzi and my grandparents gave her to my parents. They got her a year before I was even born, right after they were married. She lived to be 17. Our second dog was our yorkie Lacey. We got her a few months after Mitzi died. I was only 15 when we got her. My parents bought her a pet store and paid $400 for her. They surprized me with her when I got home from school. Lacey lived to be 13 and half. My mom had to put her to sleep in June due to chronic kidney failure. So, this yorkie we are getting is our 3rd dog. Her name will be Chloe. She will be a dog for the whole family. I am 29, but still live at home due to financial reasons. My mom said I can't take the dog with me when I move out. (we are paying half and half on the puppy.) I am not even close to moving out though until I find another job that pays better and can start saving. I am looking for another job presently. When I do move out, I will find a place that accepts pets, and then get me another dog. I will still live no more than a 15 minute drive from my parents whenever I do get out on my own anyway. So, I can visit Chloe everyday if I wanted to. But, for my parents, this will be the last dog. I am so in love with the yorkie breed that it feels like no other breed will be the same. I am such a dog lover that it feels so empty without a dog.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Stephanie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 pm

Congratulations cajungal! I'm glad it worked out for you! :D
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby cajungal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:10 pm

She is ours! My mom paid her the deposit. We won't be able to take her home until at least the end of February. But, the breeder lives only 10 minutes away and she said we are welcome to visit with her as long as we call first. The puppies are so beautiful and teeny! We got our Lacey at a pet store, so we never got to see her parents. At least this time, I got to see the yorkie mommy. (The daddy lives with another lady. But, seen pictues and he is beautiful!) I am so happy and excited right now! I can't wait until I can finally take Chloe home! Proud new mommy to Chloe Cheyenne! I am going to get so attached to her that I will never want to move out my parents home! LOL
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Lindaloo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:46 am

Miss Mary wrote:Well, that's nice it worked out for you cajunagal and you got the very pedigree you wanted.

However, just reading all of the trouble you've gone to and at such great lengths to own a very specific, expensive pedigree dog, makes me want a shelter dog next time.

Because so very, very many need loving homes and are put to sleep every single day.

But good luck to you no matter, you've just made me more determined to rescue a dog when ours, God-forbid it's years from now, passes on.

Mary

Well said Mary!! BRAVO!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#19 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:48 am

Lindaloo wrote:
Miss Mary wrote:Well, that's nice it worked out for you cajunagal and you got the very pedigree you wanted.

Mary

Well said Mary!! BRAVO!

Thanks Linda! My fingers couldn't type fast enough, my heart knew what IT wanted to say! As soon as I saw you were the last poster to respond, I figured you'd have an opinion on rescues!

Mary
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby cajungal » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:15 pm

My grandma just bought a rescue dog. A border collie. And I have compassion for all animals, not just purebred ones. I am a huge animal lover especially dogs. Just because I bought a yorkie puppy, does not mean I won't consider a rescue dog the next time. It will have to be when I get my own place with a nice backyard. I am the type that has such a soft heart for animals that I would want to take every single one home. My parents don't want any more dogs. They are the type where 1 dog is enough. We never had more than 1 pet at a time. I wanted a yorkie to help with the grief of losing my yorkie Lacey. We are in love with the yorkie breed. We did try yorkie rescue shelters online and after hurricane Katrina hit. There were no yorkie available in our area at all. They were all out of state and I was busy working. And not have the time to travel out of state or find someone to take me. I don't drive out of town because I don't feel comfortable and panic if I get lost. Plus, most of the yorkies in shelters were abused and that just breaks my heart. I want so bad to help them. Most have tons of medical problems and I don't want to go through the trama of having another pet die so soon after I lost my yorkie Lacey.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”