South Florida Cold Snap Is Overhyped -> Much Warmer

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TS Zack
Category 4
Category 4

#21 Postby TS Zack » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 pm

It can get VERY COLD down South. Some places in Florida have fallen below 0F before.
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:08 pm

just saw that freeze warnings are up all the way to southern FL tonight. The forecast low tonight in Orlando is 32 with frost. Joe Bastardi really nailed this one. He has been saying that it would prob. freeze in orlando tonight for over a week. Also, a frost advisory is up for the big cities of Miami and Boca Raton and west palm beach, but at the coast they should be spared. The immediate south Florida coast will prob. reach 40-45, with 35-39 inland and then 31-34 well inland near the everglades. For Central Florida...the immediate coast will probably hit 32-37 with 28-33 inland.
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby O Town » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:44 pm

TS Zack wrote:It can get VERY COLD down South. Some places in Florida have fallen below 0F before.

Wait a minute, I was born and raised right here in Orlando thats, ah em, 32 years and I have never seen it get below 20*. It sounded like you were refering to south Florida, it is likey to have happened in northern Florida though. As for the freeze tonight still not so sure. I will actually be taking in my orchids and things tonight, and maybe throw a sheet over a few things, we shall see. I like to turn the sprinkler on for the my girls to make icicles but if it does actually freeze, I doubt it will freeze for long enough.
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:19 pm

O Town wrote:
TS Zack wrote:It can get VERY COLD down South. Some places in Florida have fallen below 0F before.

Wait a minute, I was born and raised right here in Orlando thats, ah em, 32 years and I have never seen it get below 20*. It sounded like you were refering to south Florida, it is likey to have happened in northern Florida though. As for the freeze tonight still not so sure. I will actually be taking in my orchids and things tonight, and maybe throw a sheet over a few things, we shall see. I like to turn the sprinkler on for the my girls to make icicles but if it does actually freeze, I doubt it will freeze for long enough.

Orlando did get to 19F on Jan. 21st, 1985. You can find this info. on the following link:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/climat/records/MCOJan.txt
0 likes   

arkess7
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby arkess7 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:33 pm

supposed to be 27 tonight here in Ocala. :cold:
0 likes   

Scorpion

#26 Postby Scorpion » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Very cold out now, upper 40's and its only 8. Supposed to get even colder than last night. I think 36 here.
0 likes   

mike815
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby mike815 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:17 pm

that may be cold for fl. but its not real cold i sure love it though to bad tonight is the last night 70's on mon again
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby O Town » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:29 am

Extremeweatherguy wrote:
O Town wrote:

Orlando did get to 19F on Jan. 21st, 1985. You can find this info. on the following link:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/climat/records/MCOJan.txt

Yup, I knew that 19 was the record. Don't think that will happen again for a long time. I hope not anyways. :D
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby O Town » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 am

Oh, and BTW it got down to 38* last night and is already 47* at 9:30 this morning. At OIA they reported 35* between 5-6 am this morning. Suppost to really start to warm up today. Thank goodness. 8-) :D

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KMCO.html
0 likes   

Scorpion

#30 Postby Scorpion » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:18 am

Wow was it cold last night. Got down to 34 here.
0 likes   

Scorpion

#31 Postby Scorpion » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:18 am

Wow was it cold last night. Got down to 34 here. The forecast was 39.
0 likes   

TS Zack
Category 4
Category 4

#32 Postby TS Zack » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:41 am

Here are all the COLD Outbreaks for Florida.

February 13, 1899 -

it was the coldest morning ever along the Gulf Coast, with temperatures of 6.8 degrees at New Orleans, Louisiana, 7 degrees at Pensacola, Florida and 1 degree below zero at Mobile, Alabama. The record low temperature for the state of Florida was set at Tallahassee when the mercury tumbled to 2 degrees below zero. The record low temperature for the state of Louisiana was set at Minden, when the thermometer fell to 16 degrees below zero. A trace of snow fell at Fort Myers, Florida. This was the farthest south snow has ever been observed in the US until 1977. The coldest temperature ever recorded at Dayton, Ohio occurred when it dropped to 28 degrees below zero. On the edge of the greatest arctic outbreak of all time, a vicious blizzard pounded the mid-Atlantic and New England states. 20 inches of snow fell at Washington, DC and 34 inches fell at Cape May, New Jersey. The central pressure of the storm was estimated to be 966 millibars (28.53 inches) just southeast of Nantucket, Massachusetts.

January 11, 1982 -

a frigid arctic air mass brought he zero degree line all the way down to central Alabama and Georgia. Atlanta, GA recorded 5 degrees below zero and Birmingham, AL shivered at 2 below. The freezing line reached into central Florida. Pensacola was 8 degrees and Orlando recorded 32 degrees.

January 12, 1982 -

freezing temperatures penetrated into south Florida. Vegetables were destroyed as far south as Homestead, where the temperature fell to 29 degrees, and citrus was damaged at Orlando, where the mercury fell to 23 degrees. A low pressure area on the Gulf spread snow and freezing rain over the central and southern Gulf states. Amounts were generally 5 inches from northern Louisiana into northern Florida. Atlanta, GA was paralyzed by snow and freezing rain.

December 13, 1962 -

a severe freeze hit Florida with the temperatures falling to 12 at Jacksonville, 18 at Tampa and 35 in Miami. The renown "Coldest December Day" caused millions of dollars damage to citrus crops and foliage

December 25, 1989-

Tallahassee, FL has a trace of snow, the first ever for Christmas Day

Look at this..

January 7, 1995 -

a severe thunderstorm produced a downburst wind gust to 146 mph at Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC.

February 3, 1917 -

downtown Miami had its lowest temperature in Weather Bureau history, when the temperature dove to 27 degrees. Miami weather records date to 1911.

February 5, 1996 -

the great arctic outbreak of '96 began to wind down, but not before one more frigid morning. Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina dropped to zero degrees for its coldest February temperature on record. Lakeland and Orlando, Florida recorded subfreezing temperatures with 24 and 26 degrees, respectively. 10 below zero at Lynchburg, Virginia tied its all-time record low.

February 25, 1989 -

13 cities in Florida reported record low temperatures for the date, including Jacksonville with a reading of 24 degrees. The severe cold in Florida claimed 3 lives and resulted in 250 to 300 million dollars crop damage.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Cookiely » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 am

December 25, 1989-

Tallahassee, FL has a trace of snow, the first ever for Christmas Day
I will always remember this one in Tampa. The central air and heat broke that night and the pump supplying our water froze and busted the pipes. We had no advance warning it was going to get that cold so we didn't leave the faucet dripping. What a mess.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”