Notice for all members - everyone please read!

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Notice for all members - everyone please read!

#1 Postby southerngale » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:28 pm

Flashback: August 2004
Those of you who were participating members can probably remember the outpouring of concern for our fellow members before and after Hurricane Charley made landfall in Florida. And then again in September when Ivan made landfall, as well as the other hurricanes that affected many of our members. I remember the genuine concern, the prayers, the offers of support. We saw much of this during the 2005 season as well. One huge thing we didn't see very often during and after the devastating Hurricane Season of 2004 was the lack of respect running rampant among the board. I wish I could say the same after this past season. In fact, the total lack of respect for fellow members is so prevalent among the board that if we suspended everyone involved, the board wouldn't have much participation. That is sad.

This announcement is to let everyone know that things are going to change around here. The staff as well as many of our members remember what this board was like a few years ago, what separated us from all of the other weather boards. In one word: RESPECT.
We've had debates on Storm2k since the beginning, but we have always demanded that everyone show everyone else respect. You can disagree with someone without being rude and putting them down. There have been so many inconsiderate, insensitive, and downright rude posts lately that it has almost become the norm, and somewhat accepting. This will stop! We realize that with the enormous growth of Storm2k over the past few years, we're not going to remain the tight-knit little family we used to be, but we can just become a bigger, extended family. We have allowed the founding principles of the site to become compromised and we're going to get things back to where they used to be, where they should be. If anyone has a problem abiding by the rules here, feel free to discuss the weather elsewhere. We want everyone to feel comfortable here, and we want everyone to be able to ask questions without the fear of being ridiculed. This should be a place for people to learn, and have fun. Lately, it hasn't been that much fun to participate. It seems nearly every thread turns into an argument of some sort, or there's someone popping off with rude comments to another. It has become difficult to monitor because it is so widespread and we can't possibly read every thread. Of course that won't change, which is why we ask every member to please PM a mod or admin if you see a post that needs attention. Don't be shy. Only staff will know who reports a post.

Storm2k was originally created to have a friendly environment to discuss the tropics, a place where everyone could feel comfortable. Many of the members who have been here since the beginning posted on another board where rude comments, arguing and trolling were commonplace. What a welcomed change Storm2k was and has remained for most of its life. We will not become like all of the other boards. This is a privately owned board and we will be dropping the hammer on those who refuse to keep their attitudes in check. Unfortunately, this isn't just black and white. There has to be some common sense used here. If you think what you're typing could be seen as rude, then it probably is rude. Re-think what you want to say and use tact when posting. Many members of Storm2k have been affected by devastating storms and are going through a rough time. I don't think anyone here can really understand what someone else has (is) gone through. Some of it is emotional, financial, physical, or all of it. You just don't know unless you're that person, so please show some respect. For many people who have been affected, they may just want to share their problems or their story with other weather enthusiasts. This should be the one place they CAN feel comfortable doing that. I'm not getting that from most of them. Sadly, many of them have refrained from posting because of the very problems this post is addressing.

Another thing...we don't have posting contests here. When the tropics heat up, Storm2k gets very, very busy. While we would never control how many posts you make, think about what you want to say and try to minimize the nonsense posts. Again, this isn't black and white either, but just think about what you want to say in a reply, and just use common sense when posting. Remember: Quality over Quantity!

I know this is long-winded and I hope I wasn't too repetitive, but I wanted to get the point across. If you don't agree with what I'm saying here, then this may not be the weather community for you. I know that many of the founding members remember how it used to be, and want that back. Storm2k is and will always be the best weather site on the net!
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Dee Bee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:57 pm

Amen -- and thank you for your forthrightness, southerngale.

Diane
0 likes   

Janice
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Janice » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:25 pm

If the posts are nteresting, can we keep the posts and delete the rude responses. Sometimes new things are added that have not be read or televised.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby southerngale » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Janice wrote:If the posts are nteresting, can we keep the posts and delete the rude responses. Sometimes new things are added that have not be read or televised.

That's generally what we do. In rare cases, the entire thread is removed.
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”