Explaining The Importance of Boarding Eve/Soffet Vents

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

Explaining The Importance of Boarding Eve/Soffet Vents

#1 Postby KatDaddy » Wed May 03, 2006 10:29 am

Many people I have spoke to recently had no idea this needs to be done when threatened by a hurricane. They did not think this is needed and did really take what I was saying as important. Thus I told them let me get the stories from individuals who can tell you first hand how import it is.

Thanks for any feedback everyone.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Phoenix78
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2 Postby Phoenix78 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:22 pm

"Board-up" soffets?

I've aluminum soffits on my 25-year-old home in Vero Beach and they survived 3 hurricanes with no problem. They are nailed in place. I've heard stories about soffet material just laid-in without being secured and held in place by aluminum facia - that won't work!! Once the wind get ahold of a piece you can lose the whole section - and possibly your entire roof!

Be certain your soffets are solidly fastened and you should have no problems!

...Alan
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby KatDaddy » Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Do you have soffet vents on the eves where water could forced in from hurricane conditions?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Phoenix78
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby Phoenix78 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Now, when you refer to "soffets" you are talking about the area under your roofs edge outside the exterior walls, right?

My soffit it 2 feet wide and runs along all four sides of the house. It has continuous perforated holes and is so sturdy I can hit it with a pressure washer to clean 'em with no infiltration into the attic. the holes are so tiny that massive water can't break through yet the attic can breathe.

I also have a power vent on the roof that comes on when the attic temp is over 100 degrees. I protected it during Frances and Jeanne but left it alone for Wilma - no problems.

If you can't visualize what I'm talking about I'll try to find an image in a catalog and pass it on to you!

...Alan
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby DanKellFla » Wed May 03, 2006 6:54 pm

KatDaddy, are you talking about Gable roofs? I can see how that can be a good idea. Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me. I have a HIP roof. I lose soffit pieces every storm. My house was built in '92 when the code allowed for soffits that are nothing more than pieces of alluminum siding parallel to the ground. I actually had a neighbor who replace all of his soffit with plywood and vents. Basically, he copied current code and made it fit his house. He did all the work himself, so I don't know how much it would cost to do that if you had a pro do it.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby KatDaddy » Wed May 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Sorry about the confusion. I should have said eve vents instead if soffet. You stated it correct Alan

"you are talking about the area under your roofs edge outside the exterior walls"

I basically have the same type of vent under my eves. I would think rain being blown at high speeds would push up and into the ceiling around the walls of a home. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Thanks DanKellFLa. Yes I also have a gable roof. Call me paranoid or realistic but strong CAT 3, 4, or 5 would level my home built in 1984 with no hurricane building codes.....way way before Andrew in 1992.

Thanks everyone for the information.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby gtalum » Thu May 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Like Phoenix78, I can pressure wash my soffits and they don't move and no water gets inside. A good pressure washer puts out a lot of water pressure.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#8 Postby Dionne » Fri May 05, 2006 8:03 am

There is alot more to soffit detail than just the visible trim. To begin.....there should be let-in bracing every 4' minimum, which is cut into the top cord of the rafter/truss system that supports your barge rafter. The drop in vinyl soffit material that is supported by a vinyl j-channel is just about worthless. Hardi-plank makes a durable vented soffit that is currently top of the line. Some builders (myself included) are installing cut lines at the outside edge of the wall on the roof sheathing. This allows the overhanging soffit to blow off and not open the structure to continuing wind damage. A word of caution.....DO NOT allow your builder to use 7/16 wafer board as your roof sheathing.......go with a 5/8 plywood laminate with a nailing pattern of 6" on the perimeter and 8' in the field.

And most importantly......evacuate early.
0 likes   

Jagno
Category 3
Category 3

#9 Postby Jagno » Mon May 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Thank you for trying to get this good prevention tip out to all of us in the threat areas. I for one never thought about those vents and yes, I had major damage from the wind as well as the rain that entered into those vents.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”