How do we make S2K better?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

How do we make S2K better?

#1 Postby mf_dolphin » Fri May 25, 2007 10:10 am

This is a follow-on thread to the "Afraid to Post". Please let's try and make constructive suggestions and stay on point. Let's see how we can all work together to move S2K forward. :-0
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Category 5 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Some people (me included) would like to see the games forum make a comeback. At least during the offseason and quiet periods. That might encourage people to stick around. It would also be kind of like a school for people new to weather and weather history.

If I remember correctly the reason it was done away with is because some people made 99 out of every 100 posts in there, and others just wanted to run up their post count. The running up of the post counts could be solved by eliminating them like yous did last summer up until the server change.

Thats the only thing I can think of. All the Mods and Admins do an exceptional job keeping this forum clean, running, and fair.
0 likes   

MatthewCarman
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby MatthewCarman » Fri May 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Mabey make it so staff cant read PM's sent so it could be private? Some things people like to keep between them and thier friends.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby chadtm80 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm

MatthewCarman wrote:Mabey make it so staff cant read PM's sent so it could be private? Some things people like to keep between them and thier friends.

You had posted in the other thread that one should just not make accusations... well.. Whats this here then??? What in God's name makes you think staff can just read PM's?
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby southerngale » Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm

MatthewCarman wrote:Mabey make it so staff cant read PM's sent so it could be private? Some things people like to keep between them and thier friends.

For the umpteenth time, staff doesn't read PM's. Do you have anything constructive to offer? I'm sure you have seen a lot of changes and improvements needed in all of your 11 complaints, I mean posts, since you started posting 2 days ago.
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Janie2006 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:21 pm

This issue has been adressed in another thread, Matthew. Furthermore, this sure looks like diversion to me.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#7 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri May 25, 2007 6:23 pm

I dont have a whole lot to offer that I havent already offered. Maybe just a little less bickering :lol: I agree with the post above to have the games forum back during the winter. JMO
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby x-y-no » Fri May 25, 2007 6:30 pm

As a newly minted mod who just spent a couple of hours looking around at the moderation features, I can say that there's no feature for reading other people's PMs that I can see.

That said, I'd suggest if you want to discuss anything super-sensitive with someone you set up a different (encrypted) communication channel like Hushmail or PGP. PMs, like everything else on this and most any discussion board are transmitted in the clear and are stored in the database in the clear.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby chadtm80 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 pm

x-y-no wrote:As a newly minted mod who just spent a couple of hours looking around at the moderation features, I can say that there's no feature for reading other people's PMs that I can see.

That said, I'd suggest if you want to discuss anything super-sensitive with someone you set up a different (encrypted) communication channel like Hushmail or PGP. PMs, like everything else on this and most any discussion board are transmitted in the clear and are stored in the database in the clear.

You are 100% Correct.. PM's just like posts are stored in Data Bases.. Just no way around that. Same as on every board you would post on. However that does not mean one could just go right in and read.. However could be done in a long drawn out process if one really wanted to.

Like Jan has said.. If you feel unsafe using PM system, use your email, or an IM feature such as aim, msn, gmsn
0 likes   

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby O Town » Fri May 25, 2007 8:36 pm

Congrats x-y-no!!
Great choice staff. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing the game forums return as well. But maybe add a feature where only so many new threads can be posted. It got way out of hand in there. It was nice when there was about a dozen games along with the flash games.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Category 5 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:45 pm

O Town wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the game forums return as well. But maybe add a feature where only so many new threads can be posted. It got way out of hand in there. It was nice when there was about a dozen games along with the flash games.

I was thinking about that, like only having so many games, and maybe new games should have to be run by the staff.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby angelwing » Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 pm

I would like to see the games come back also, but with a limit so it won't get out of hand.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#13 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri May 25, 2007 9:01 pm

I wish there was some more competition with in the site or against other sites.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby JenBayles » Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 pm

I for one, have noticed a more relaxed atmosphere lately and really appreciate the restraint on the part of Mods, and even even members who haven't gone overboard on controversial topics. Job well done!

I like Duckie's suggestion of having some way of displaying which Mod either edits, or deletes a thread instead of having it consigned to oblivion with no explanation.
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#15 Postby MiamiensisWx » Fri May 25, 2007 9:51 pm

If the games return, I don't believe that there should be limits on posting threads in that forum. That drains the fun from the competition. I believe games should be lively, interactive, and intelligent. Different varieties of quizzes (and other activites) should be implemented. For example, we could have historical, cultural, and meteorological trivia (in addition to other subjects).

In addition, I appreciate the friendlier atmosphere. Posters are no longer fearful of expressing their opinions. I believe that non-flaming political debates should be permitted in OT. This would foster greater understanding (and respect) toward other posters. The board's environment would be refreshing for all members. In addition, I don't believe that this board should compete with other websites.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 pm

I believe that the games forum should make a comeback, but it must be educational, about weather or both
0 likes   

whereverwx
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby whereverwx » Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Isn't being a moderator both a leadership position and a privilege? :wink:

At any rate, I have also noticed a calmer, much needed, atmosphere. :wink:

However, conversely, I believe that some still are concerned about posting. (hint, hint) You'll notice how some people still initiate their "pleadings" whenever a disagreement occurs between the member (him or her) and a higher class person (meteorologist or moderator/administrator). In short, the "member" apologizes for a dissenting opinion, if you know what I mean.

fact789 wrote:I wish there was some more competition with in the site or against other sites.

In other words, you mean to say that Storm2k is a monopoly?
Last edited by whereverwx on Fri May 25, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri May 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Not exactly calamity. I suggest creating teams in somesort of a large event like a trivia event.
0 likes   

StormScanWx
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby StormScanWx » Fri May 25, 2007 10:41 pm

First off let me say I like Storm2k better than other forums I've been a part of.

I agree with others about the games forum.

I hope I explain this correctly, but what I'd like to see at Storm2k is the administrators, and potentially moderators too, making more information posts. I don't think the general members, like myself, should have to wonder who has been banned, etc.

Thanks for asking/listening, admins/mods!! :)

-SSW
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Cookiely » Sat May 26, 2007 5:37 am

StormScanWx wrote:First off let me say I like Storm2k better than other forums I've been a part of.

I agree with others about the games forum.

I hope I explain this correctly, but what I'd like to see at Storm2k is the administrators, and potentially moderators too, making more information posts. I don't think the general members, like myself, should have to wonder who has been banned, etc.

Thanks for asking/listening, admins/mods!! :)

-SSW

I would also like a brief explanation on a locked thread when someone has been banned with the caveat that you should not PM mods or admins after a decision has been reached to complain or ask for further info. I can see where this would cause additional problems for the mods and admins who are busy enough just monitoring the board.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”