official logged in/logged out time

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

official logged in/logged out time

#1 Postby bvigal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:42 am

Please, someone tell me. How long does one stay logged in? I just spent 15 minutes writing a very detailed post, cutting and pasting historical data in, and when I got ready to post, I was logged out and LOST EVERYTHING. This has happened MANY, MANY TIMES. My DSL is fast, this doesn't happen elsewhere. I must assume there is a time period, and I am exceeding it. Just let me know, then I'll set an alarm clock.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: official logged in/logged out time

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:29 am

There is no time out from the server standpoint.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby angelwing » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:43 pm

I used to have that problem, if I'm going to do a big post, I just open up wordpad and type everything in there, then cut&paste it over, that way I don't lose anything
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby bvigal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:03 am

Thanks angelwing, that is a good suggestion. I still can't figure out why I get logged out sometimes while I'm typing a response, it doesn't always happen.

But, I have discovered one thing that seems consistant. When I click on the link to "Active Storms" in Talkin Tropics from the main index, the resultant window that opens always has me logged out, even if I was logged in on the main index. I'd never noticed it before, so it's possible I would go right ahead reading, and then when ready to reply, got asked for login, and thought "oh, how did I get logged out?"
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby bvigal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:16 pm

I login and then get a phone call, and then have to make another couple of phone calls and send some email, and when I get back to S2K, I'm logged out. Usually, I just close and go do something else. I know it's probably my ISP, but they are LIME, and you can't get them to fix anything like that. It's good when they keep the lines intact and and DSL/voice signal working! :roll:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby southerngale » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:30 pm

When you log in, do you check the box that says, Log me on automatically each visit?

I never get logged out, unless I specifically click on the Logout button.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby bvigal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Actually, no I never check that box... Just a habit, I never check that box on any website, ever! I think the problem is our slow internet connectivity. Sometimes I get 505 on certain wx sites, and just try again until it comes up. I'll try your suggestion and see if it gets rid of the problem S2K will be my one exception. :wink: - THANKS!
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby southerngale » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:36 pm

I think that will solve your problem. Otherwise, it will automatically log you out after 15 minutes of no activity. If you're typing out a long post, but not navigating the site in any way, that is no activity.

As for not needing to do that on other sites, they may have a different default setting. I've been to a forum that at first appeared to be very busy with many hundreds of members and guests online. Then I noticed that the data was based on users active in the past 24 hours. Notice on our forum Index, it says, "This data is based on users active over the past 15 minutes"
The other is great for inflating activity, but our settings are more accurate to real activity. Checking the box will still log you out after 15 minutes of no activity, but you'll be automatically logged in when you return, so you shouldn't lose data if posting a long post. Check the box, type a random post, leave for 20 minutes, come back, and give it a test.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”