Converting portable generator from gas to propane

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

rodpumas
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Converting portable generator from gas to propane

#1 Postby rodpumas » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:56 pm

I plan on adapting my portable gas generator to be able to run on either gas or lpg now that the warranty has run out.

Has anyone converted their generator and what size of propane tank do you use?

About how long can you run the generator on a certain size tank?
0 likes   

Alladin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Converting portable generator from gas to propane

#2 Postby Alladin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Let me give you some advice. Converting an engine that was built to run on gasoline for use with propane is just asking for trouble. Engines that are designed to run on propane are built with harder valve seats, better exhaust valves and have different timing.

Continuous use of propane in an engine designed for use with gasoline will greatly reduce the service life of the engine. Anyone that tells you differently is most likely selling propane conversion kits.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby canetracker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:28 pm

I have converted my gas generator to natural gas but also could have used propane. However, I have not tried the propane option. The site below can help you with this. This is the link:
http://www.uscarburetion.com/a-c_kits.htm
This site will take you thru the type of kits that you need. For my Briggs and Stratton 5550 I needed a Type C kit. It did take a little rigging to get it hooked up which my dad had to come over and figure out. Below is a pic of the way he has rigged ours. We also built a generator house for it and have it rigged to plug directly in to the circuit breaker box with its own breaker. It was a costly adventure, but at least we now have the security. By the way, with a flip of a valve we can run it on regular gas if we want to.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby canetracker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Update for those that are feeling the strain of running a generator in relation to the price of gas at the pump:
During Gustav, I ran my generator for 30 hours without having to shut it down. I just got my natural gas bill and and it was only $7.00 higher than the previous month. Converting my generator over to natural gas was one on the best things that I ever could have done.
0 likes   

DonaldL396
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby DonaldL396 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Hurricane Ike has just convinced me to convert mine to run on natural gas. You have a great looking setup. How far are you from natural gas hookup? Is that 3/4" hose? Where did you get your hose at? Thanks for posting those good pictures.
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby canetracker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:45 pm

DonaldL396 wrote:Hurricane Ike has just convinced me to convert mine to run on natural gas. You have a great looking setup. How far are you from natural gas hookup? Is that 3/4" hose? Where did you get your hose at? Thanks for posting those good pictures.

Sorry it took so long to reply but have been having family issues:
Question #1 I am approx 20-30 ft away from natural gas hookups.
Question #2 It is a 1 inch heavy duty braided hose
Question #3 The hose was gotten from an air conditioner repair man that my dad knew, but you can now get a metal coated hose that runs underground from most plumbers / plumber supply houses. They will be in one inch lines as well.

My father is the meter-man genius that hooked it up for me. He worked for Texaco, out in the fields, for 40 years. PM me if u need help. : )
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”