ATL HANNA: Models Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#921 Postby Frank2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Actually, the cirrus outflow from Hanna is already streaming to the N and NE, so, the lee side of the trough is already having an effect...

I agree that it might move N then NW - we shall see...

Frank

P.S. I like this topic - much friendlier than that "all purpose Hanna" thread...

LOL
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Tropical Storm Hanna Model Runs

#922 Postby Sanibel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:26 pm

If the High is oriented SW-NE then Hanna would move west. But the ULL's pull would make Hanna want to go north. So a compromise NW and up the coast of Florida results.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#923 Postby Frank2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Si - I agree...

Sanibel, is that your Gustav "Weather Warrior" photo I keep seeing on TWC - it was taken on the causeway...

P.S. That wouldn't be so bad, really, since the west side of the storm or hurricane is the weaker one - I recall during David (1979), which featured a NNW track from about the same location as Hanna is now, our weather was about the same as it was here on Saturday - mild, overcast and breezy with scattered showers - nice, actually, since most of the clouds were strato-cu...
Last edited by Frank2 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#924 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:33 pm

12Z Euro anyone?
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#925 Postby Bocadude85 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm

yea i do not think S FL has much to worry about maybe a few gusts to 40 to 45mph
0 likes   

deltadog03
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#926 Postby deltadog03 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Frank2 wrote:I don't know - their scenario doesn't sound right...

It seems Gustav only sharpened the trough that is impinging on Hanna, and, since the flow in the trough is still diving south, it seems the influence will only be more, not less...

Per the WV the trough is moving southwest (slowly), so, once the axis passes Hanna, as it's doing now, it seems that Hanna will possibly begin to move north, in response to the trough...

You make great points, but here is the thing...Sure the trof can effect her. IMO the only thing this trof might do to her is help vent her on the the eastern side.
0 likes   

captain east
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#927 Postby captain east » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:43 pm

deltadog03 wrote:
Frank2 wrote:I don't know - their scenario doesn't sound right...

It seems Gustav only sharpened the trough that is impinging on Hanna, and, since the flow in the trough is still diving south, it seems the influence will only be more, not less...

Per the WV the trough is moving southwest (slowly), so, once the axis passes Hanna, as it's doing now, it seems that Hanna will possibly begin to move north, in response to the trough...

You make great points, but here is the thing...Sure the trof can effect her. IMO the only thing this trof might do to her is help vent her on the the eastern side.

Meaning a more W NW track?
0 likes   

NEXRAD
Category 1
Category 1

#928 Postby NEXRAD » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:43 pm

The 18Z NAM is just starting to roll in. It looks well-initialized from the little bit I peeked at. Before anyone tosses a tomato, yes I know the NAM is not well regarded for tropical systems. I tend to be the "dark horse" since I use it to some degree, and the RUC, too.

- Jay
0 likes   

deltadog03
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#929 Postby deltadog03 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:45 pm

What concerns me is there will be a nice little upper ridge over the top of this and florida....Stewart still made mention to dual outflow channels as being possible.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#930 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:45 pm

d-dog,

Doesn't it also depend at what layers the trough is exerting it's influence? Sometimes if it is a shallow one, there isn't as much affect, especially if the storm is weaker and exists mostly at the lowest levels, correct?
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#931 Postby Frank2 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for your comment - coming from a meteorologist, I appreciate your comments...

I'll never say I was one - a map plotter for the NHC, and, a person who'd handle calls from TWC ("Where's our selected cities"?), but, forecaster, no...

My job was similar to a nurse's role with a physician, or a paralegal with an attorney - I think they call it paraprofessional...

Still, the folks I worked for were many of the pioneers in tropical meteorology, so, certainly we all learned a great deal from working for them...

I see what you mean about the venting - well, let's see what happens...

Thanks for letting me vent (LOL)...

Frank
Last edited by Frank2 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

deltadog03
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#932 Postby deltadog03 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:48 pm

And believe me...I like your comments as well. Thats why a good forum always works. Initially, I think we all thought that the trof would have some pulling power, but I am not so sure anymore. If hanna stays a bit east, she could eat more shear, but closer to the western bahamas she could have a fairly good outflow pattern.
0 likes   

NEXRAD
Category 1
Category 1

#933 Postby NEXRAD » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but per the NAM and GFS outputs, these models seem to handle the Atlantic ridge as approaching a possible merger with ridging over the Ern US for the general Thursday period. The actual models drastically scale-back the NW extent of this ridge, seemingly in a response to a stronger, more north situated, Hanna. That said, given Hanna's location more to the S today and depending on how the upper trough plays out, I'm watching for a possible greater NW extent of the ridging to the north of Hanna. Such a set-up would translate to the storm maintaining a NW heading.

Note, in the NAM/GFS outputs I mentioned I am looking at the H50 ridge/trough setup rather than Hanna's actual reflection.

- Jay
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#934 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:53 pm

12 Z EURO Shifts W...Lines up with the HWRF and NOGAPS..

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 8090212!!/
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#935 Postby Bocadude85 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

NEXRAD wrote:Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but per the NAM and GFS outputs, these models seem to handle the Atlantic ridge as approaching a possible merger with ridging over the Ern US for the general Thursday period. The actual models drastically scale-back the NW extent of this ridge, seemingly in a response to a stronger, more north situated, Hanna. That said, given Hanna's location more to the S today and depending on how the upper trough plays out, I'm watching for a possible greater NW extent of the ridging to the north of Hanna. Such a set-up would translate to the storm maintaining a NW heading.

Note, in the NAM/GFS outputs I mentioned I am looking at the H50 ridge/trough setup rather than Hanna's actual reflection.

- Jay

and in terms of landfall this means further north or south
0 likes   

NEXRAD
Category 1
Category 1

#936 Postby NEXRAD » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:
NEXRAD wrote:Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but per the NAM and GFS outputs, these models seem to handle the Atlantic ridge as approaching a possible merger with ridging over the Ern US for the general Thursday period. The actual models drastically scale-back the NW extent of this ridge, seemingly in a response to a stronger, more north situated, Hanna. That said, given Hanna's location more to the S today and depending on how the upper trough plays out, I'm watching for a possible greater NW extent of the ridging to the north of Hanna. Such a set-up would translate to the storm maintaining a NW heading.

- Jay

and in terms of landfall this means further north or south

I wouldn't draw this out into a landfall projection, but a more NW track would increase the Florida risk while still keeping Georgia and at least South Carolina in the cone (this is a comment, not a forecast).

- Jay
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#937 Postby KWT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Yep the models now shifting south towards central Florida, that ECM wouldn't be great for the areas that had such bad flooding with Fay, esp given Hanna is a chunky system.

does anyone have the plots for Hanna that have all the better models on it?
0 likes   

captain east
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#938 Postby captain east » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:13 pm

These are from 2:00 PM today, but it's just so everyone can see the models.
click for full size image
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#939 Postby Bocadude85 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:22 pm

captain east wrote:These are from 2:00 PM today, but it's just so everyone can see the models.

that hwrf plot is wrong hwrf has landfall in FL
0 likes   

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#940 Postby caneseddy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:25 pm

captain east wrote:These are from 2:00 PM today, but it's just so everyone can see the models.

It's funny looking at that plot and seeing the UKMET being the easternmost outlier, while up to yesterday it was the westernmost outlier. Shows you how models change constantly
0 likes   

Return to “2008”