Ida : Aftermath North Gulf Coast,Fla Peninsula

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Ida : Obs,Prep,Web Cams N Gulf Coast,Fla Pen,Yucatan,Cuba

#21 Postby baygirl_1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Here's information from one of our local on-camera meteorologists:

Published: Sun, November 08, 2009 - 10:40 am CST
Last Updated: Sun, November 08, 2009 - 10:47 am CST
Short URL: http://wkrg.com/511680

Local Impacts from Hurricane Ida
by Jene' Young

MOBILE, Alabama - What to Expect with Hurricane Ida:

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Southern Mississippi and Southern Louisiana. That means hurricane conditions are possible within 36 hours. A Coastal Flood Warning is also in effect for the same area. Tides stay high for the next two days, about 2-4 feet above normal.

A Coastal Flood Watch is in effect for all of our coastal counties including Mobile and Baldwin AL, as well as Escambia, Santa Rosa, and Okaloosa FL. This watch is in effect tonight through Monday night. Expect a strong east wind, combined with high tide creating tide levels 3-4 feet above normal. If you live in a flood prone area along the coastal counties, you will need to take action today.

As Ida moves into the Gulf today, increased swells move northward, reaching the Alabama and NW Florida Panhandle coastal waters tonight. Ida will continue to move towards the area Monday, with the center of Ida approaching the Alabama and NW Florida coastline by early Tuesday morning.
Very rough conditions over the offshore waters are expected, with gale force winds developing by early Monday morning with gusts to storm force likely by Monday afternoon. Gale force winds are also likely in Mobile Bay Monday night into early Tuesday as Ida nears the coast.

Winds of 30 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph are possible as far north as Interstate 10. Ida will begin to move eastward Tuesday and weaken. Seas over the coastal waters are not expected to settle later Tuesday night through Wednesday.

Heavy rain is possible late Monday and early Tuesday, especially near shore. Some communities may receive 3-5 inches of rain. The weather clears out and settles by Wednesday.

Boating Forecast:
-Small Craft Advisory is in effect through tonight.
-A Gale Warning is in effect late tonight through Tuesday afternoon.
-Small Craft Advisory in effect from Tuesday evening through
Wednesday evening.

I am not happy about this at all- like everyone else! I am a little confused: the NWS is saying our highest winds will be in the 40 mph range. However, the NHC maps show Ida with winds around 75 mph just offshore MS/AL/FL by early Tues. Just wondering if they'll be raising those wind gust forecasts later today... ??? We have a tree full of lemons and a tree full of satsumas. The kids and I may be out there this afternoon picking all that fruit so it isn't ruined. DH is already securing the boat. Cannot believe this is happening in November! Oh well, life on the Gulf Coast is NEVER boring!
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Frank P » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:30 pm

I can tell you this, no one on the MS coast in the Bioxi area appears to be taking this storm serious, at least not yet... me included.. I guess because we keep getting all kinds of different information on storm expectations... perhaps it will be taken more serious tomorrow in the morning I'm just not sure...
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Macrocane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Very bad and sad new, the official report form El Salvador's government says that 91 people are dead, more than 60 missing and more than 7000 are homless, here is a link in spanish:

91 dead in El Salvador

It's cloudy right now but it has not rained since 8 hours ago but it's possible that it may start to rain again in a few hours.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby baygirl_1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 pm

Here's the local statement from Mobile NWS:
HURRICANE IDA LOCAL STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL
1249 PM CST SUN NOV 8 2009
...HURRICANE WATCH EXTENDED EAST OF MISSISSIPPI ALABAMA BORDER AS
IDA STRENGTHENS A LITTLE WITH AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED...
.AREAS AFFECTED...
THIS LOCAL STATEMENT PROVIDES IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND
RECOMMENDED ACTIONS FOR PEOPLE IN SELECT LOCATIONS OF INLAND
SOUTHEAST MISSISSIPPI...SOUTHWEST ALABAMA AND THE WESTERN FLORIDA
PANHANDLE.
.WATCHES/WARNINGS...
A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR COASTAL SOUTHWEST ALABAMA AND PORTIONS OF THE WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE.
A WATCH MEANS THE STATED CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS FOR THE SPECIFIED AREAS.
.STORM INFORMATION...
AT 12 PM CST...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE IDA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 21.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 86.1 WEST...OR ABOUT 100 MILES
NORTH-NORTHEAST OF COZUMEL MEXICO. THIS IS ABOUT 630 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF MOBILE AL.
IDA IS MOVING NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-
NORTHWEST AND AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED ARE EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...WITH A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH LIKELY BY TUESDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK....THE CENTER OF IDA SHOULD MOVE INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO THIS AFTERNOON...AND BE NEAR THE NORTHERN GULF COAST BY TUESDAY.
IDA IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR- SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE TODAY...WITH GRADUAL WEAKENING EXPECTED ON MONDAY. IDA IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN LOSING TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS ON TUESDAY AS IT NEARS THE GULF COAST...BUT IT COULD REACH THE COAST AS A TROPICAL CYCLONE.
.SITUATION OVERVIEW...
WHEN MAKING DECISIONS...DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST TRACK. THE MAIN THREATS FROM HURRICANE IDA WILL INCLUDE HEAVY RAINFALL...STRONG WINDS TO NEAR HURRICANE FORCE ALONG THE COAST WITH TROPICAL STORM FORCE INLAND AND STORM SURGE ALONG THE COAST. A GENERAL CONCERN SHOULD BE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME DAMAGE...INCLUDING POWER OUTAGES...FROM PASCAGOULA OVER TO DESTIN.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
IN ORDER TO MAKE THE BEST DECISIONS...BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THE TERMINOLOGY AND DEFINITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH TROPICAL CYCLONE EVENTS. FOR INLAND LOCATIONS...TROPICAL CYCLONE CONDITIONS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH HIGH WIND...BUT FOR COASTAL LOCATIONS AND PLACES PRONE TO COASTAL FLOODING...THEY ARE ASSOCIATED WITH BOTH HIGH WIND AND STORM SURGE. TROPICAL CYCLONES ARE COMPRISED OF HURRICANES...TROPICAL STORMS... AND TROPICAL DEPRESSIONS. HURRICANES HAVE WINDS OF 74 MPH OR HIGHER...WHICH EQUATES TO 64 KNOTS OR HIGHER. TROPICAL STORMS HAVE WINDS OF 39 TO 73 MPH...WHICH EQUATES TO 34 TO 63 KNOTS. TROPICAL DEPRESSIONS HAVE WINDS OF LESS THAN 39 MPH OR 33 KNOTS. HEAVY RAIN...TORNADOES...AND WATERSPOUTS ACCOMPANY TROPICAL CYCLONES.

&&
.NEXT UPDATE...
THE NEXT LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOBILE BY 530 PM CST. IT WILL PROVIDE IMPORTANT DETAILS REGARDING THE EVOLVING TROPICAL CYCLONE THREATS AND THEIR POTENTIAL IMPACTS ON OUR AREA.
MEDLIN / BEAMAN
ALZ061>064-FLZ001>006-090000-
/O.NEW.KMOB.HU.A.1011.091108T1842Z-000000T0000Z/
UPPER MOBILE-UPPER BALDWIN-LOWER MOBILE-LOWER BALDWIN-
INLAND ESCAMBIA-COASTAL ESCAMBIA-INLAND SANTA ROSA-
COASTAL SANTA ROSA-INLAND OKALOOSA-COASTAL OKALOOSA-
1242 PM CST SUN NOV 8 2009
...HURRICANE WATCH IN EFFECT...
...NEW INFORMATION...
A HURRICANE WATCH HAS NOW BEEN ISSUED. A MORE DETAILED STATEMENT WILL FOLLOW THIS AFTERNOON. IDA IS MOVING NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST AND AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED ARE EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...WITH A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH LIKELY BY TUESDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK....THE CENTER OF IDA SHOULD MOVE INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO THIS AFTERNOON...AND BE NEAR THE NORTHERN GULF COAST BY TUESDAY.
&&
$$

I bolded the Preparedness/Precautions section because there’s basically no info there—just definitions of tropical cyclones. A little while ago, someone posted on the boards that the Mobile County EMA had not activated yet. I wonder if this is why we don’t have preparedness info and “a more detailed statement will follow this afternoon.” We aren’t waiting: boat is secured, back yard is cleared, working on front yard, and lanterns are charging.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Macrocane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:10 pm

In this link you will see in pictures the sad situation that we are experiencing:
http://www.laprensagrafica.com/component/ignitegallery/view/2219.html
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Macrocane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#27 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:55 pm

0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Macrocane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:40 pm

The last official report indicates that 124 people are dead, 7000 affected and 60 missing. It's raining again but thankfully the rains are not as heavy as yesterday's and now that Ida is moving away from the Caribbean her influence will diminish here.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby artist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Macrocane wrote:The last official report indicates that 124 people are dead, 7000 affected and 60 missing. It's raining again but thankfully the rains are not as heavy as yesterday's and now that Ida is moving away from the Caribbean her influence will diminish here.

wow, I hope they find the missing alive! My Prayers to all there.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Ixolib » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 am

Frank P wrote:I can tell you this, no one on the MS coast in the Bioxi area appears to be taking this storm serious, at least not yet... me included.. I guess because we keep getting all kinds of different information on storm expectations... perhaps it will be taken more serious tomorrow in the morning I'm just not sure...

Yeah, I can see why...
...Air temps in the 50/60 range.
...Water temps in the 70's.
...School kids wearing heavy coats to school - for weeks now!!
...Evey inch of available space at Walgreens, WalMart, and Edgewater crammed with Christmas decorations.
...And the best reason for not taking this storm seriously --> an EAST SIDE LANDFALL!!!!!!!!
0 likes   
Betsy '65, Camille '69, Frederic '79, Elena '85, Georges '98, Isidore '02, Katrina '05, Isaac '12, Nate '17

nicdeedoop
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Ida : Obs,Preparations,Web Cams N Gulf Coast,Fla Peninsula

#31 Postby nicdeedoop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:03 am

0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Macrocane » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 am

The official death toll now has risen to 130 in El Salvador, I have started a thread about the aftermath:

Floods and mudslides in El Salvador the aftermath
0 likes   

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Agua » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Wind picked up in the last hour - maybe 15 with gusts to 20. A few spits of rain here and there.
0 likes   

duris
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#34 Postby duris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Local TV reporting 1000 foot levee breach in Grand Isle and 5 foot storm surge in Venetian Isles, a subdivision outside levee protection in Orleans Parish. Neither should be large threat to property or life. Breezy and overcast in metro New Orleans with no rain to speak of yet.
0 likes   

duris
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#35 Postby duris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Also reporting sustained winds of 50 mph in Grand Isle.

EDIT: Mayor says only 25-35 mph.
0 likes   

fwbbreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby fwbbreeze » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:15 pm

some pics I recently took of the Okaloosa Island Pier and beach.

0 likes   

alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

#37 Postby alan1961 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:24 pm

0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby baygirl_1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Well, we've got a steady rain here in West Mobile. It's just a little breezy out there-- 10 mph or so (nothing really... yet?). School dismissed early (around 1PM) and will be closed tomorrow so we have now settled in for the storm--DH still has to make it home from work, though. Thought y'all might want to watch these buoys in the North Gulf area:
Dauphin Island: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=dpia1
Orange Beach: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42012
Middle Bay Light (in the middle of Mobile Bay): http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=mbla1
22 nm south of Biloxi: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42007
Petit Bois Island (south of Pascagoula): http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=ptbm6
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#39 Postby stormy1970al » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm

From the Eastern Shore of the Alabama area: Been a wild day. First we went down to Perdido Key to get the boat and headed to Orange Beach to check on my husband's mom's condo. The water was wicked. I got pictures and need to upload them so I can share them. Just got back from downtown Fairhope. I live about 8 miles south of Fairhope. The wind is picking up and the rain is coming down steady. The Fairhope Police are starting to close off the beaches. I also ran down to the FYC that as destroyed by Katrina. Quiet but nothing like 2005. The wind has definetly picked up along with the rain that has been falling before noon. Also the Baldwin County Schools have cancel classes for Tuesday. Will try to update as long as possible. My power company usually goes out on a good day so I expecting to lose power later tonight. Unfortunately I am not under the City of Fairhope power because they keep it up and running. Hope everyone stays safe!

The Flora Bama around noon today after coming back from Perdido Key, FL. Headed back home to Fairhope.

Surfers taking advantage of the water near Alabama Point in Orange Beach, AL. We stopped to check on the condo and went to see the Gulf of Mexico.

The double red flags in Gulf Shores, AL.
0 likes   

stormy1970al
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#40 Postby stormy1970al » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:46 am

From the Fairhope area in South Alabama: It is 8:43 am. The kids are out of school today but work has not been canceled. Retail Stores never close so I will be going to work around 2ish. Weather was not that bad. A lot of rain last night and the wind was real gusty. Around 2am I notice the rain had stopped but the winds was coming in spurts. This morning when we got up the wind was gusty but honestly we have had cold fronts come through here with this much wind. Thank goodness this storm was not bad. Relief! After the 2004 and 2005 seasons I take hurricanes and tropical systems seriously. We are going to drive down to the Bay and see what is going on. Yesterday afternoon the bay was not that bad because the wind was coming out of the East which makes it smooth.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”