#4261 Postby Janie2006 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:42 am

Almost time for Bones, it seems.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#4262 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:43 am

Janie2006 wrote:Almost time for Bones, it seems.

Too late. Ida is gone now.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL : TROPICAL DEPRESSION IDA

#4263 Postby Macrocane » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:01 am

Bye bye Ida. It was the most interesting system of the season and it will be a storm that I will never forget.
0 likes   

Cookie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4264 Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:04 am

still technically 20 days left of the hurricane season.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4265 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 am

ex-Ida
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#4266 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 am

Cookie wrote:still technically 20 days left of the hurricane season.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=107025&hilit=&p=1944732#p1944732

Correct and there's some action in the Atlantic with 98L.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4267 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 am

Macrocane wrote:Bye bye Ida. It was the most interesting system of the season and it will be a storm that I will never forget.

I don't see where Ida caused any rain in El Salvador. That was Invest 96E which moved north across western El Salvador and Guatemala last Saturday. The sat pic I have of Ida making its closest approach to El Salvador shows no squalls within several hundred miles of the country. However, Invest 96E did move right over your area and cause a lot of rain. Terrible tragedy.
Last edited by wxman57 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#4268 Postby Macrocane » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 am

Yes, I agree Ida was not the direct responsible but if you look at the flows of the systems you will see that we had an indirect influence, that always occur when a system moves in the Gul of Honduras, Yucatan or BOC, the system gets inflow from the Pacific and positions the ITCZ over our coasts:

11/05/09

11/08/09

I may be worng, but that's why the local mets have said too, the heaviest rains were caused by the Pacific low but Ida placed it over us, you're the pro maybe you could explain the situation better or correct me if I'm wrong I will thank you.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#4269 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 am

Saying that Ida caused 96E to unleash devastating floods in El Salvador is like saying the damage caused in the Philipines by Typhoon Parma wasn't done by Parma, but rather by Super Typhoon Melor and its influence on Parma's track.

I am sorry to hear about the tragedy in El Salvador regardless of which system was responsible for the rain. I wonder if Ida will still be retired as a result.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4270 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am

Macrocane wrote:
I may be wrong, but that's why the local mets have said too, the heaviest rains were caused by the Pacific low but Ida placed it over us, you're the pro maybe you could explain the situation better or correct me if I'm wrong I will thank you.

I think you can say that the same flow pattern that pushed Ida northward caused 96E to move northward across El Salvador. Regardless, sorry to hear about the very heavy rain there. Let's hope this ends the 2009 season.
0 likes   

attallaman

#4271 Postby attallaman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 am

It's still windy here in Biloxi right now, winds are out of the N at 23, gusting to 34, is that related to the remnants of Ida or the cold front or both? Hey the sun is starting to come out, nice.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4272 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 am

attallaman wrote:It's still windy here in Biloxi right now, winds are out of the N at 23, gusting to 34, is that related to the remnants of Ida or the cold front or both? Hey the sun is starting to come out, nice.

Sort of both. Ida's remnant low is helping to draw cool air south across the MS coast.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#4273 Postby otowntiger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Can anyone tell if we are going to get much in the way of rain out of this system here in Orlando? I need to know if I should run my irrigation system tonight.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4274 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:26 pm

otowntiger wrote:Can anyone tell if we are going to get much in the way of rain out of this system here in Orlando? I need to know if I should run my irrigation system tonight.

It'll certainly be warm and unstable there ahead of the cold front tonight. But that line of squalls to the west is no longer solid, and it probably won't be solid tonight. Expect scattered showers and possibly a thunderstorm overnight but no guarantee of significant rain.
0 likes   

seahawkjd
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4275 Postby seahawkjd » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Wxman, I'm starting to see some concern about flooding rain in North Carolina and ex-Ida turning into a rather nasty nor-easter and sitting off the coast a while. What are your thoughts on this?
0 likes   
Gloria, Hugo, Emily, Bertha, Bonnie, Dennis (twice), Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Arthur, Matthew, Florence, Dorian (and many tropical storms and nor'easters).

attallaman

#4276 Postby attallaman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm

otowntiger wrote:Can anyone tell if we are going to get much in the way of rain out of this system here in Orlando? I need to know if I should run my irrigation system tonight.
I don't know about Orlando but you really shouldn't be watering your yard at night unless you're under watering restrictions to water at designated times including nighttime but our MS State Co-Operative Extension Service advises against watering any yard at night because lawn diseases can set in. I assume it was watering your lawn that you were talking about.
0 likes   

attallaman

#4277 Postby attallaman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:
attallaman wrote:It's still windy here in Biloxi right now, winds are out of the N at 23, gusting to 34, is that related to the remnants of Ida or the cold front or both? Hey the sun is starting to come out, nice.

Sort of both. Ida's remnant low is helping to draw cool air south across the MS coast.
Thanks wxman57. I heard on TWC it's forecasted to reach 80 today in Houston, correct or not so?
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#4278 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm

attallaman wrote:
I don't know about Orlando but you really shouldn't be watering your yard at night unless you're under watering restrictions to water at designated times including nighttime but our MS State Co-Operative Extension Service advises against watering any yard at night because lawn diseases can set in. I assume it was watering your lawn that you were talking about.

Here in Florida we are often under watering restrictions, depending on what area of the state you live in. Night time watering keeps evaporation down, since it is usually much warmer during the day. When restrictions are highest, you may only get to water once every 2 weeks, if at all! And, if you are caught watering when it is raining, or just after rain, you can get cited.

So, it is a legitimate question.

suggestion: get the automatic sensor installed that overrides the watering timer on your system. if there is significant moisture detected (like post-rain), it will bypass that day's scheduled watering for you.
0 likes   
Chrissy & Ligeia
Chrissy & Nikki
:flag:

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#4279 Postby otowntiger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

attallaman wrote:
I am very much aware of the watering restrictions and when I say tonight, I mean, early morning hours. That is because fungus can set in if you allow the plants to stay wet overnight. We can only run irrigation once a week now and not between the hours of 10am and 4pm. I usually run my system starting at about 5am.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#4280 Postby otowntiger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:19 pm

wxman57 wrote:

It'll certainly be warm and unstable there ahead of the cold front tonight. But that line of squalls to the west is no longer solid, and it probably won't be solid tonight. Expect scattered showers and possibly a thunderstorm overnight but no guarantee of significant rain.
But hopefully enough so that my lawn and garden will get an effective drink tonight. We are dry here, but certainly don't want flooding or severe weather. Just hoping for a nice steady rain of 1/2 to 1 inch. :wink:

Thanks wxman57, by the way for the quick reply.
0 likes   

Return to “2009”