Texas Winter 2010-2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2010-2011

#401 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:01 pm

The AO continues to say 'What La Nada?!'. This must be some kind of record for such an extended period of negative AO's.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#402 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm

0z = big storm in Texas but not cold enough at the 850 lvl. Still close enough for optimism. Notice the big high building in NW Canada.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#403 Postby iorange55 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:37 pm

The cold is a little further south than some of the last few runs. Maybe some trending in the right direction

Wow and after that it seems the cold comes down a little faster too. With maybe some light precipitation. I like this run.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#404 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Then a 1060 High wow. Also like the 12z euro tremendous cold with multiple storms kicking out of the SW into that cold air. Why can't this be the first half of the GFS! The models trends has been nailing the lee side of the rockies.

Doesn't get any better than this...I love lala land!

After that the cold blasts down to central america leaving the southern plains in single digits *dreams*.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#405 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 am

I can't wait to see how this all plays out! :cold:
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#406 Postby orangeblood » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 am

Wow!! Lala land is right. This is the coldest run I've ever seen the GFS produce for north Texas. It shows a high of 10/ low of -5 on Monday the 17th and then a high of 17/ low of -8 in the Dfw area the following day, which of course would set all time records. I think it's safe to say something brutally cold is coming but the new question is how cold can it get?

Numerous factors such as synoptic pattern, time of year, source region, and snowpack to the north all appear to be in favor of a major cold outbreak.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#407 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 am

orangeblood wrote:Wow!! Lala land is right. This is the coldest run I've ever seen the GFS produce for north Texas. It shows a high of 10/ low of -5 on Monday the 17th and then a high of 17/ low of -8 in the Dfw area the following day, which of course would set all time records. I think it's safe to say something brutally cold is coming but the new question is how cold can it get?

Numerous factors such as synoptic pattern, time of year, source region, and snowpack to the north all appear to be in favor of a major cold outbreak.

Dang, how often does the GFS show such cold temps that play out? That would cause a lot of problems around here!
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#408 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:30 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:Dang, how often does the GFS show such cold temps that play out? That would cause a lot of problems around here!

It does show long term cold often in lala land, but rarely the continuity as well as along with the ECMWF, that cold. All of the teleconnections (MJO, rising PNA, tanking AO, NAO, Stratospheric warming etc) have been aligning and we may just be seeing the first signs of the results.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#409 Postby ROCK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am

Not just for you NTexans.. :D ..us southern Texas folks having to deal with highs in the 20's and lows in the low teens....thats really going to cause some serious issues down here.

back to the 0z GFS...dont think I have ever seen a colder run for the lower 48 since I started looking at weather.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#410 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 am

I know looking that far out is moot point, but you just simply don't see something like that. Had to post it. Just for fun, the all time record low in Oklahoma is -27 and that is possible in this particular snapshot.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#411 Postby HockeyTx82 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 am

Yup, that would bust some pipes around here! Just wondering, this air mass that might make it down this way, is it starting in Alaska or Russia/Siberia? The reason I ask is the year we had record cold down here Alaska set a all time low prior to that airmass moving south if I did my homework correctly. I read on this board that just the other day over in Russia the air temp was -90F. So perhaps something is on the march, that cold air has to move somewhere. Any thoughts? I have always heard check the source region and snowpack to the north. Correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile phone
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#412 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 am

Siberia, yes from this vantage point of cross polar flow so that's where it would be coming from. You don't get that cold simply from North America. The coldest air in the world is currently there and if we are able to tap into it, :cold: :cold:

BTW the Canadian currently shows 1050+ high crossing the pole beyond 150hrs.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#413 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 am

:uarrow: IFthat verified we would be seeing single digits in Houston. I know it is way to far out to even consider at this point, but that is some awfully cold air in Siberia and most reliable sources are saying the cold cross polar flow is a lock. The question will be where the core of it goes and how far South it makes it.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#414 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REw7TCJnHso

check it out. Look where the bulk of the high is in this video, i havent checked the archives to see how strong this high was when it entered the lower 48 but it cant be much different then what the GFS is indicating. I have my eyes on this one. Alot of models are showing this and im getting excited. Like someone pointed out earlier, this could be a dangerous situation too. Im in the investment/stock market biz too, expect nat gas and crude prices to rise with this coming cold too :/
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#415 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 am

So are seeing are we seeing a pattern change yet? :double: :cheesy:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#416 Postby TwisterFanatic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:29 am

Ntxw wrote:I know looking that far out is moot point, but you just simply don't see something like that. Had to post it. Just for fun, the all time record low in Oklahoma is -27 and that is possible in this particular snapshot.

WOAH!, No thank you. :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#417 Postby iorange55 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 am

Just to save this moment where it predicted below zero temps for Dallas.

0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#418 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 am

Holy expletive is right :eek:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#419 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:05 am

Like I said, I think some historic cold is coming.

We may talk about January 2011 in the same hushed tones we do December 1983 and/or December 1989.

After all, it's been more than 20 years since a cold outbreak of that magnitude...
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#420 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am

From OKC this morning.

All I can say is WOWZA. Double WOWZA.

Get the firewood ready....

SYSTEM DUE INTO THE TX/OK AREA THIS WEEKEND IS TRENDING TOWARD A
MORE SOUTHERN TRACK ACROSS TX. WE WILL MAINTAIN LOW POPS MAINLY
ACROSS THE S SAT INTO SAT NIGHT. THIS LOOKS MOST LIKELY TO BE A
COLD LIGHT-RAIN EVENT IF IT HAPPENS THIS FAR N... BUT WITH
CANADIAN AIR BECOMING INVOLVED WE CANT BE TOO SURE.
RAIN/SNOW MIX
WILL BE MAINTAINED CENTRAL/SW SAT NIGHT ALTHOUGH ANY WINTER-TYPE
PRECIP COULD BE ALMOST ANY VARIETY. WHATEVER HAPPENS THIS WEEKEND
IS LIKELY TO BE A MERE APPETIZER AHEAD OF THE MAIN COURSE OVER
THE FOLLOWING WEEK.

MORE ATTENTION CONTINUES TO TURN TO THE POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT
TURN OF EVENTS NEXT WEEK. BIG RIDGE WILL BUILD N INTO ALASKA BY
LATE WEEKEND... SUPPORTING A SIZEABLE BUILDUP OF ARCTIC AIR OVER W
CANADA AND DOWNSTREAM HEIGHT FALLS INTO SW CANADA AND NW CONUS.
FORMATION OF A 500-MB 575-580 HIGH OVER AK... WHICH HAS BEEN
ADVERTIZED BY THE GFS AND ECMWF FOR SEVERAL DAYS NOW... GENERALLY
DOES NOT TURN OUT WELL - FOR MOST OF THE LOWER 48 MUCH LESS THE S
PLAINS. GFS SFC-T PROGS FOR NEXT TUESDAY ARE UNPRECEDENTED AS FAR
AS THIS FORECASTER CAN RECALL... AND IF TAKEN LITERALLY WOULD
IMPLY THAT PARTS OF MT/WY WOULD STRUGGLE TO REACH HIGHS OF -30F
NEXT TUESDAY. THAT SEEMS A WEE BIT EXTREME... BUT IN ANY EVENT THE
PATTERN CONTINUES TO SUGGEST A TURN TOWARD SIGNIFICANT AND
POTENTIALLY SEVERE WINTER WEATHER IN SOME WAY SHAPE OR FORM - THE
STUFF NATIONAL HEADLINES ARE MADE OF - BY SOMETIME NEXT WEEK

COLD AIR IS LIKELY TO BEGIN INVADING THE PACNW AND NORTHERN
ROCKIES/HIGH PLAINS OVER THE WEEKEND AND ROLL SE THEREAFTER. AT
THIS TIME WE ARE LEANING TOWARD THE ECMWF AND A FASTER INVASION OF
ARCTIC AIR INTO THE S PLAINS NEXT SUNDAY NIGHT. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER
THAT IS HARD TO SAY. BITTER COLD... SNOW AND/OR ICE... OR PERHAPS
ALL OF THE ABOVE. SUFFICE TO SAY NEXT WEEK LOOKS TROUBLESOME.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”