Current US Snow Cover 2010-2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Current US Snow Cover 2010-2011

#1 Postby ravyrn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Will we be close to breaking any records for total US snow cover? I was just thinking about how much of the US has snow at the moment and thought I'd make an inquiry on here and get some feedback from you guys.

http://espcgis.nesdis.noaa.gov/website/ ... viewer.htm
Last edited by cycloneye on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title by cycloneye
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Current US Snow Cover 1/10/11 - 1/11/11

#2 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 pm

ravyrn, I put a link to your post of the graphics that show the snow cover in the U.S. Also, I put a sticky to the thread for all the members to see the progress of the white stuff.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Current US Snow Cover 2010-2011

#3 Postby ravyrn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Here's an image weather.com has of the current snowcover.

With all of Kansas and Missouri, most of North Carolina, and Northern Oklahoma forecast to receive snow in the next 24 hrs, that will leave the entire US snow covered except for the immediate Gulf Coast, West Texas on over into the Southeastern 2/3 of New Mexico on into the Southwestern 2/3 of Arizona on up the Pacific Coast. In addition to an unblanketed portion of Eastern Virginia and parts of Maryland.

I'm not familiar with snow cover records and wasn't able to find out too much from googling, but it would seem we'd get at least some top 5 regional snow cover records, if not a top 5 national snow cover record. It looks like every state except Florida has snowcover right now.
0 likes   

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Turtle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Nice map. Seems accurate for me. Pretty light snow still on the ground.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby ravyrn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 am

This is an awesome link to the National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center that I found for US Snow Coverage. You can pick the date and if you click animate: two weeks link under snow depth it will show you the progression of snow coverage each hour for a two week period ending on the day you selected.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby ravyrn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

CNN wrote:After big snow and ice events in the Southeast, Plains, and Midwest this week, 49 out of the 50 states currently have snow on the ground – yes, even Hawaii, where snow falls in Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea all winter.

The only state that has avoided this icy blast is Florida. Does that make you want to go on a nice, warm vacation to the Sunshine State? You're not alone.

Put another way, that means snow is present in 69.4 percent of the lower 48, which is more than double than December. This is extremely unusual, though it's hard to put a date on when this last happened because records aren't kept on this kind of event.

Link to the CNN article.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:22 pm

I remember sometime in the last 10 years when all 50 states had snow on the ground. I believe it was 2004, though I am not sure of it. I know it was after the mid 90's for sure because I saw it on the internet and I think it was on S2K which means it was since 2002.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

hurricanedude
Military Member
Military Member

#8 Postby hurricanedude » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:49 am

Actually it just ahappened this past Feb12th...2010 here is a snip of the article!

Feb 12, 2010 9:32am
A winter storm moving through the South could means that there will be snow on the ground in all 50 states, which has likely never happened before. Snow in Florida clinched it, according to the Patrick Marsh of the National Severe Storms Laboratory. Meanwhile, Dallas snowfall has reached a single-day record yesterday, with 12.5 inches falling within 24 hours at DFW Airport.

For there to be snow on the ground in all 50 states, the current storm in the South would have to dump onto the Florida Panhandle, which just happened. University of West Florida cancelled classes due to snow.

However, no snow in Vancouver for the start of the 2010 Olympics. It rained last night, though

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Snow in All 50 States: Record Dallas Snowfall, Snow in Florida | NowPublic News Coverage http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/sn ... z1ApvC6ZRG
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”