ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ

Current storms and invests:

Moderators: hurricanetrack, S2k Moderators

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:59 am

Staff has noticed a general trend, especially in the tropical forums, towards members posting demeaning or rude comments towards some of our Public Weather agencies and sometimes each other. I know of no other way to say this except to say it must stop. We do not allow personal attacks of individual members on this site nor do we allow attacks of public agencies on this site in any way. It is one thing to respectfully disagree with someone or an agency and their conclusions and give a legitimate reason why you disagree. It is totally another to make disrespectful comments such as "they don't know what they are doing". or something similar. We have absolutely no problem with respectful disagreement on this site. In fact I would go as far as to say it is encouraged as long as it is legitimate. One doesn't learn by regurgitating others work but by observing it and studying and coming to your own conclusions.
We will be tightening down the screws on the disrespect we have been seeing. This announcement applies to EVERYONE on this site.
5 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Cookie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Cookie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:55 pm

glad to see its being clammed down upon
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ALL MEMBERS PLEASE READ

#3 Postby ozonepete » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm all for it. While I disagree with agency forecasts at times, I try to keep it professional and go out of my way to never insult anyone.
0 likes   

metenthusiast
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby metenthusiast » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm

I agree with this one. Though on a personal note I do get confused and frustrated with the lack of efficiency of our local weather agency. However, I make it a habit to keep that frustration in myself. I'm more into the knowledge I could learn right here and from their shortcomings as well. :D
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Florida1118 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:06 am

Certain people also take shots at TWC which i would think of as a agency as they Are Trained Mets.
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby weatherSnoop » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Florida1118 wrote:Certain people also take shots at TWC which i would think of as a agency as they Are Trained Mets.

IMHO, they have become sensational media...they do have reputable people on payroll, though they do not give them nearly enough time to be considered a wholey reliable source of information.
0 likes   

Keylime
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#7 Postby Keylime » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Can anyone suggest a good iPad general Weather App?
0 likes   

MBryant
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby MBryant » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

weatherSnoop wrote:
Florida1118 wrote:Certain people also take shots at TWC which i would think of as a agency as they Are Trained Mets.

IMHO, they have become sensational media...they do have reputable people on payroll, though they do not give them nearly enough time to be considered a wholey reliable source of information.

Suggestions in the spirit of critique, not criticism:

1. Time stamp your stories if you are going to run rebroadcasts of breaking weather. There's nothing worse than seeing a report indicating impending doom 12 hours after the storm has quietly passed through the area.

2. You have around the clock broadcasts. Use it! Anyone can do yesterday's weather.

3. Perhaps throw in a five minute weather classroom at varying levels to bring the non professionals up to speed on the lingo and educate us on any changes in the current thinking in meteorology.

4. Spend a little less time showing reporters acting foolishly by standing in the storm and a little more time on how the local geography may affect the way the storm is felt and how it's destructive power is enhanced or reduced.

5. Perhaps you could even give local officials a platform for disseminating local action advisories to those affected rather than giving each other Kudos for getting wet. Maybe even the day before the storm rather than the day after.

As you can tell, my biggest pet peeve is with dated information on a 24 hour weather channel. There's no excuse for it.

I get timely information here! Maybe you could spend a few minutes reporting what is being discussed among the professional and designated non professionals on this board. It is usually about 12 critical hours ahead of the current broadcasts.
0 likes   
Living at the intersection of Rita and Humberto and Ike and Harvey and Laura and Delta!

This post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological products.

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Florida1118 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 am

:uarrow: Yes, BUT, they have to do what keeps viewers; not what we want. We want timely info, which IMO they give well enough, but the reporters blowing around and yelling is more interesting obiously to the majority of people. Im pretty sure all of their shows like Weather Center, Your Weather Today etc, is Live, because they say different things and mess up differently each hour (Everyone messes up live, who cares)so they are live. As for #2, Im not sure what you mean. #3, they do have a segment for education, called Weather Wizard. It explains all types of things with experiments anyone can do at home. Also the Mets do throw in explainations of things quite often. #4 I already talked about, and #5 they already do that. Perhaps not live in person, But they do bring in people on the phone quite often when needed. EMC, Sheriff/Police Admins, Fire/EMS officals, sometimes even Governers occasionally. Lol they only give them like 2 minutes, but hey better than nothing. And if TWC can attract Dr.Knabb, Bryan Norcross, and Keep Dr.Forbes, then they must like TWC somewhat. I honestly dont get why people dislike TWC that much...the only thing that annoys me is that their "excitement shows" are well, dragged out to 30minutes, and that the mets generally focus on the NE more than any other area even when nothing is happening.
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby weatherSnoop » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 am

[quote="Florida1118"]:uarrow: Yes, BUT, they have to do what keeps viewers; not what we want. We want timely info, which IMO they give well enough, but the reporters blowing around and yelling is more interesting obiously to the majority of people....

Yes, but in down time, they replay the "live action" as though it is still live and that irks me.
0 likes   

MBryant
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby MBryant » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Criticism is warranted when information is not handled properly. TIME and DATE stamp all reports so that it becomes obvious that the LIVE BREAKING news that is being rebroadcast is no longer what it claims to be. It may be sensational, but can be harmful to those unaware. There is an OBLIGATION to give out ACCURATE information which is by necessity CURRENT or labeled as dated.

Yes, give latitude. But not a free pass. Safety is paramount, not feelings.

I realize this thread is three years old, but it is as important today as ever.
1 likes   
Living at the intersection of Rita and Humberto and Ike and Harvey and Laura and Delta!

This post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological products.

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby underthwx » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 am

I noticed during a recent discussion thread, a few comments made, directed at the NHC, and a Pro-Met moderator... Essentially second guessing experts, dealing with a record breaking hurricane season...for me personally..I gotta be honest...I felt a sense of embarrassment just reading these things..the way I see it, words like the ones I read, should never appear anywhere, anytime on S2K...What I feel or think about any given storm event... Don't mean a thing, when compared to the experts of the National Hurricane Center, Private or Public Meteorologists...and Moderator/Professional Meteorologists..I know my place here, and I know when I should be listening, instead of talking.....I'm not even in the same galaxy as them, or alot of yall members on S2K, and I'm good with that all day long, everyday....I got nothin to prove, I'm good with who I am....these professionals, are the gold standard of weather forecasting, bar NONE...it's human nature to agree to disagree, but in this forum, we all have to keep in mind that all of these world class professionals, do read the S2K forums....the moral of the story is...we all must remember if we want mutual respect, we gotta be respectful of the professionals, and each other...That's just the way it is...
Last edited by underthwx on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
4 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#13 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 pm

underthwx wrote:I noticed during a recent discussion thread, a few comments made, directed at the NHC, and a Pro-Met moderator... Essentially second guessing experts, dealing with a record breaking hurricane season...for me personally..I felt a sense of embarrassment just reading these things.... What I feel or think about any given storm event... Don't mean a thing, compared to the National Hurricane Center, Private or Public Metrologists...and Moderator/Professional Metrologists..I know my place here, and I know when I should be listening, instead of talking.....I'm not even in the same galaxy as them, or alot of yall members on S2K, and I'm good with that all day long, everyday....I got nothin to prove, I'm good with who I am....these professionals, are the gold standard of weather forecasting, bar NONE...it's human nature to agree to disagree, but in this forum, we all have to keep in mind that all of these world class professionals, do read the S2K forums, and we all must remember if we want mutual respect, we gotta be respectful...That's just the way it is...

I appreciate the thought processes discussed and shown here. I am going to address and maybe reiterate some things concerning posting on any STORM2K forum or for that matter on our Facebook page or discord chat area.
RESPECT is the paramount determinate in whether a post is allowed when our staff makes determinations concerning posts. IT IS ALWAYS ALLOWED to disagree with anyone on this site as long as it is done with RESPECT and actual facts are used to back up that disagreement or agreement for that matter. NONE of the staff is allowed to moderate posts directed at them. That is always dealt with by an admin or a staff member other that the one actually involved in the posting. All staff on this site was carefully chosen and I as owner have utmost faith in them. The admins on this site have been with S2K for many years and do have absolute authority to make decisions concerning any postings on the site.
I want to make it abundantly clear that all of our Professional Meteorologists are completely vetted before they are given that designation. There is no doubt as to their qualifications when they receive that designation. That is why staff is very serious and strict when it comes to posts that are not RESPECTFUL of them or any proffessional agency. And yes we do have members from those professional agencies that do monitor or read this site whether they post or not. Again it is ALWAYS ALLOWABLE to disagree. IT IS NEVER ALLOWABLE TO BE DISRESPECTFUL TOWARDS ANYONE on STORM2K!!
Oh let me make it abundantly clear that EVERYONE HAS A PLACE ON THIS SITE NO MATTER THEIR LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE OR EDUCATION!! We do not consider any question to be "stupid" unless it was just answered. If you do not see the answer ask for more explanation to help you understand.
If you have any questions concerning any of this feel free to contact me.
6 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Return to “Active Storms/Invests - Atlantic/EastPAC/CentralPAC/MED”