Reminder about posting images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Reminder about posting images

#1 Postby southerngale » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Please upload images before posting them. If a member posts a satellite image or a model map, using the original link, then that image will eventually change and we'll have a disparity between the comments and the image. It's nice to be able to read a post a few hours, days, or weeks after it was posted and to be able to see the image that's being discussed.

We've asked this numerous times, but many people still hotlink images. This is highly discouraged.

Right click on the image and save it to your computer. Then upload it wherever you choose.
I like this site and you don't have to register, but you can use another one if you prefer.
http://tinypic.com/

A few more:
http://www.imagehosting.com/
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://imgur.com/

Also, we have ImageShack built in when you click on Reply. Just save the image, click on Browse when replying, find the image, and click on Host it. Voila!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby thetruesms » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Another possibility is http://imgur.com

For those using browsers with strong extension-making communities (Firefox/Opera/Chrome), I know that imgur and likely others have extensions that you can install which will allow you to automatically upload from the context (right-click) menu, which makes it even easier to upload them before posting.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Reminder about posting images

#3 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 pm

People don't seem to be paying attention to this. Might need some Mod action to edit or delete posts that don't comply. There's also the bandwidth theft issue involved when hotlinking large images and animations.

It's not just new members that don't know any better either. It's long time, high post count members that are doing it repeatedly, often several times per page.

And then there are those that quote images and requote them.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby CajunMama » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I've been sending pms and have posted about it in threads. I'm trying!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby CajunMama » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 am

It's been brought to my attention that the MIMIC-TPW images are too large to upload to the above links. Anyone have any suggestions?

colindelia mentioned "you can download a free image editor like "irfanview" that allows you to reduce the image quality or size."
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Most of the images posted are 'too large' in practical regards, especially the animations. IrfanView can easily reduce image file sizes by 50% or more but it requires saving the image to your PC, editing/resizing, then up loading to a host.

To be fair, nearly every image over 200Kb or so should be posted as a link only, never hotlinked or loaded using the IMG tag when using a host or loaded as an attachment.

Some of the animations I've seen are well over 1Mb in file size. That puts a burden on the source or host, S2K and every member that views the page.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7 Postby Ivanhater » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Attention Members

Staff has asked several times to remove [IMG] tags when quoting a post with images. When quoting just delete that portion of the text. If you have any questions please ask.
0 likes   
Michael

InstantWeatherMaps
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby InstantWeatherMaps » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:24 pm

My site, InstantWeatherMaps.com, automatically uploads every map to Imageshack and displays the share link on the page for that map. Say goodbye to having choose between hotlinking (quick but dirty) and saving every map to your computer before uploading (respectful but slow). :)
0 likes   
Owner of InstantWeatherMaps.com
Like me on Facebook!

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 pm

So far, so good. Significant improvement.

Now if people would refrain from posting 2Mb images................
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby thetruesms » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

For those of you browsing with Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cjdpmbjlao

Install that extension, then rehosting is as simple as right-click > rehost image. You can rehost page captures of the entire page, the visible page, or a boxed region of the page that you draw. The only con is that it automatically assigns a random filename, so you lose any kind of date-stamping in the filename.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

FYI

Every embedded image pointing to another site puts a load on the server host of that image based on whoever even looks at the thread. Heavy storm2k traffic can bring one of these servers down and we don't want to do that.

We must insist on copying images to image sites designed to handle the load or posting links to the images.

Thanks.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 am

Another explanation about embedding images.

Embedded images do not cost storm2k any bandwidth. The bandwidth is used by whoever stores the image.

So if I embed an image from tropicaltidbits, for example, without first copying that image to imageshack or another image site then everyone who even views the thread will load that image from tropical tidbits, putting a large load on their server. This is why it's critical to first copy the image to a site that is set up for massive bandwidth usage, or link to the image instead of embedding it. Linked images can still put a huge load on the source server, if everyone wants to look at it, but at least the source server will not get hit by everyone who is simply viewing the thread.

Code: Select all

[img]mypoorserver.com/somecoolimage.jpg[/img]  <--- my server gets clobbered
[img]imageshack.us/someimage.jpg[/img] <--- imageshack takes the bandwidth

We must insist that you either link to images or copy the image to an image site that is designed to handle the bandwidth.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#13 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 pm

thetruesms wrote:For those of you browsing with Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cjdpmbjlao

Install that extension, then rehosting is as simple as right-click > rehost image. You can rehost page captures of the entire page, the visible page, or a boxed region of the page that you draw. The only con is that it automatically assigns a random filename, so you lose any kind of date-stamping in the filename.

This is amazing, thanks!

It works perfectly for images like .jpgs. .Gifs I have to upload through Tinypic (or others work as well I'm sure - just the Imgur Chrome extention doesn't work with .gifs).

Is the board staff concerned about too many .gifs on one page of a thread slowing down loading times too much? Sometimes they can really overwhelm a slow connection and now that NOAA's Floaters offer instant .gifs, we've got alot more of them on the board.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby RL3AO » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:31 pm

For those with firefox here you go -

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -uploader/

Right click on image and it will give you the option "Upload to Photobucket". After about two seconds you get a bar at the top of the screen that lets you copy the link. Worked great for me so far.

Quick search also finds imgur like on Chrome for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby tolakram » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 am

I noticed some embedded images from TropicalTidbits so I thought I would bump this post to remind people of our policy.

If the images are too large to upload then post a link to the image so others can view it, but do not embed the image using IMG tags.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#16 Postby tolakram » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 am

Reminder bump, don't put IMG tags around direct links to images. Either upload to an image hosting site first or just include the URL to the image.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 am

Gifyu works well with me, no need to be member there.

Having 50+ MB is not reccomended there because it takes forever to process & load it in.

(Max MB I've had was 32 so far & it sometimes takes up to a few minutes to upload certain things there.)

https://gifyu.com/
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”