ATL: GORDON - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: GORDON - Hurricane

#361 Postby ozonepete » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Blinhart wrote:So what is the possibility of this storm hitting Africa as a TC? Has that ever happened before?

It is already too far north to hit Africa. It is embedded in the mid-latitude westerlies now and will get steered eastward and gradually then northeastward because of that. The lowest latitude it can go would take it into Portugal, but probably as a very weak remnant low since the water temps are so cold there. I've never read or heard about a TC surviving the journey eastward lower than 35 degrees N and hitting Africa. Climatologically almost impossible.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#362 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:15 pm

From what I can see, there is a lot of shear around it, but the shear is directional in the same direction as the storm movement so it isn't impacting Gordon right now. But once it turns, then the shear seriously comes into play.

Once past about 20W, dry air starts to come into play as well.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#363 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:24 pm

20120818 2345 34.4 35.0 T5.0/5.0 08L GORDON
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#364 Postby Cyclenall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 pm

ozonepete wrote:
Cyclenall wrote:Its does look more annular now then a few hours ago, eye becoming more round and defined with a burst of deeper convection to the north which is pretty rare for hurricanes at this latitude. Looks like its very close to 100 knots IMO... :eek:

If it becomes annular officially, could Gordon make a run at some more history by becoming the first annular hurricane to ever hit landmass while being? I always wanted to see radar imagery and ground observations of one (like its behavior during landfall).

They are much more common in the WESTPAC, Cyclenall. And many have hit land there. I can't think of one right off the bat, but here's the seminal paper on Annular hurricanes. It covers so much.
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/resourc ... _Knaff.pdf

I can't think of any annular tropical cyclones in the Wpac off the top of my head and none that made landfall while being. I think I saw some historically that looked annular but I don't know the name(s). I'll look at the file sometime later.

Blinhart wrote:So what is the possibility of this storm hitting Africa as a TC? Has that ever happened before?

I asked this question once and a meteorologist told me it has never happened in recorded history. This is talking about Atlantic tropical cyclones that try to hit the west side of Africa again, not including 1 TC that formed while still over the continent.

I hope the NHC goes all the way to 100 knots by 11:00 pm EDT, lets make history everyone.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#365 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Did the T# go down to 5.0?

Just my view on the way things are going...not an official forecast. I could easily be incorrect.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#366 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:45 pm

AL, 08, 2012081900, , BEST, 0, 343N, 350W, 95, 965, HU
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#367 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Please excuse me for my inexperience...I only started tracking hurricanes on Thursday 1st June, 2011. Sometimes, when you post updates, I may ask several questions, because I am fairly new at tracking storms...and I don't know much about what the T numbers are...and all the other codes, etc. All I know about them is the wind speed, pressure and the intensity/track models. I may know a few other basics, but I know little about the in-depth descriptions of updates. Again...I do apologize if I ask too many questions.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

mykka
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#368 Postby mykka » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:17 pm

It really should start to weaken soon, no? Water temps in Azores are 23ºC. As for Portugal, there's no chance, its west coast temps are 20ºC, way below what's required. Unless its heading southwards to the Algarve coast, there its around 23ºC so...

0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#369 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 pm

This may be Gordon's last opportunity to intensify. It is currently over SSTs of 27 degrees Celsius, and may cross the 26 degree isotherm in about 6-12 hours. If it doesn't intensify by 11:00 PM, it may not be able to do so thereafter. Even if it doesn't strengthen any further, nobody can deny it; Gordon really put on a surprise show for us - the NHC initially expected it to strengthen into a 70 mph tropical storm, and look at it - 40 mph stronger than what was initially expected! :D

However, as impressive as it is, the Azores better have everything already put in place for this hurricane.

_________
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

mykka
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#370 Postby mykka » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I think category 3 is possible for a while

I dont think the Azores are well prepared tbh. Looking at some commentaries from Portuguese folks, there was little focus on this issue on the news, and people seem to be on the streets having a good time as if nothing were to happen. Obviously its nice and smooth now, but that will change rapidly.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#371 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 pm

According to ADT Gordon is a major cane.

UW - CIMSS
ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE
ADT-Version 8.1.3
Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm

----- Current Analysis -----
Date : 19 AUG 2012 Time : 011500 UTC
Lat : 34:22:06 N Lon : 34:26:44 W

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
5.6 / 953.1mb/104.6kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
5.5 5.5 5.5
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#372 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Just wow, I hope the Azores are ready for Gordon. :eek:
0 likes   

mykka
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#373 Postby mykka » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:57 pm

So is it category 3 then?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#374 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Looks stronger, red wrapping around.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#375 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:02 pm

mykka wrote:So is it category 3 then?

Until NHC makes it official,is still a category 2.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#376 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13 pm

With the full reds wrapping around, I would personally estimate 100 kt.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#377 Postby greenkat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:14 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:Please excuse me for my inexperience...I only started tracking hurricanes on Thursday 1st June, 2011. Sometimes, when you post updates, I may ask several questions, because I am fairly new at tracking storms...and I don't know much about what the T numbers are...and all the other codes, etc. All I know about them is the wind speed, pressure and the intensity/track models. I may know a few other basics, but I know little about the in-depth descriptions of updates. Again...I do apologize if I ask too many questions.

No problem, man! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have! :wink:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#378 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:16 pm

This is one of those hurricanes that, if it were not for the fact it is about to impact land, you'd want to cheer on.

That being said...I can't believe that I left this morning and Gordon jumped up to a 95 knot hurricane! Definitely had some weird TCs over the past few seasons.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#379 Postby greenkat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm

I would like a poll... Which hurricane do you think has been the weirdest this season Chris, Helene, or Gordon. Just curious. My vote goes to Gordon.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

mykka
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#380 Postby mykka » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:With the full reds wrapping around, I would personally estimate 100 kt.

How often does NHC update?
0 likes   

Return to “2012”