Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#41 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

ATCF resumes Best Track data for 97L.

AL, 97, 2012101018, , BEST, 0, 257N, 723W, 20, 1013, LO

http://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/inve ... 012.invest
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:07 pm

ABNT20 KNHC 101732
TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
200 PM EDT WED OCT 10 2012 A WEAK AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES EAST
OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS HAS BECOME A LITTLE BETTER DEFINED THIS
AFTERNOON. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE ONLY MARGIANALLY CONDUCIVE
FOR DEVELOPMENT DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO BEFORE THE LOW MERGES
WITH A FRONT THURSDAY NIGHT OR FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW
CHANCE...10 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES LITTLE.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby gatorcane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

I would say they will raise the % chance of development for the next TWO. Convection building nicely with some nice outflow and it is just east of the high shear zone over the Western Bahamas and Florida. So upper-level conditions look conducive for more organization. Some model support is there calling for a weak system to move generally SW then dissipate because of the high shear. I am not sure what front the NHC expects this system to get absorbed into though. Certainly this system is not an "it's dead Jim" system! :)
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#44 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

gatorcane wrote:I would say they will raise the % chance of development for the next TWO. Convection building nicely with some nice outflow and it is just east of the high shear zone over the Western Bahamas and Florida. So upper-level conditions look conducive for more organization. Some model support is there calling for a weak system to move generally SW then dissipate because of the high shear. I am not sure what front the NHC expects this system to get absorbed into though. Certainly this system is not an "it's dead Jim" system! :)

I attached the HPC surface forecast for tomorrow at 18Z. I think the models didn't catch it correctly because the center has formed SE of where the models had it. When they get a better fix I would think they would have it stationary for another 24 hours or so and then the approaching front should take it northeastward, but shear is low to the northeast so it may have a fair amount of time, especially because that front appears to be slowing down some.

Sure looks good right now - even has a small anti-cyclone over it - that's why it has such good outflow. And DMAX is coming later tonight...

0 likes   

Hurricane_Luis
Category 2
Category 2

#45 Postby Hurricane_Luis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm

But it looks good though, INVEST 97L.

0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#46 Postby SouthDadeFish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Ummmm.... Closed low. Should be >10% IMO...

If convection persists through the night this could be a TD.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#47 Postby gatorcane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm

SouthDadeFish wrote:Ummmm.... Closed low. Should be >10% IMO...If convection persists through the night this could be a TD.

I would say maybe even a special weather statement could be in order tonight if things keep up the way they are going. I have seen TDs classified that look much worse than this.

It will be interesting to see where this ends up and what happens. If it deepens quickly, it should move off to the NE and potentially strengthen further with low shear and high oceanic heat content. It could stall and get absorbed by the front (ECMWF). Or it could stay relatively shallow and head SW towards Cuba and the reemerge into the Western Caribbean (GFS/CMC/BAMS). Models are in good agreement on alot of shear being around in the Western Caribbean by the weekend and into next week so it shouldn't do much if it goes that way (you never know though especially since we are in October and that is an area that is typically favorable for development).
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#48 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm

I agree with you guys - 10% is way too low. It already looks like a TD. I think they'll bump it to at least 60% at the 8PM outlook. But you could be right, gator, this is developing so rapidly they may have to do a special statement. Although it's not threatening any land right now. (Think it stays north enough of the Bahamas and it's small.)

0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#49 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm pretty sure the center either drifted southeastward or reformed under the convection since the ASCAT pass at 1415 that southdade just posted a little ways back.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#50 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Oh my!

It's still sheared and not stacked, but suddenly this looks like a bonafide developing system.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby MGC » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:17 pm

97L looks better to me than TS Oscar did when it was named. At least 97L don't have multiple circulations. Still don't think 97L qualifies as a TC as the convection is displaced from the center.....MGC
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Hammy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:42 pm

technically it has to be organized convection as per NHC--many many sheared systems have convection displaced from the center

that being said it looks like the center is gradually reforming beneath the convection at this point
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#53 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Up to 20%

A WELL-DEFINED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 250 MILES EAST OF
THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS HAS CONTINUED TO BECOME BETTER DEFINED OVER THE
PAST SEVERAL HOURS. HOWEVER...ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE ONLY
MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE FOR DEVELOPMENT DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO
BEFORE THE LOW MERGES WITH A COLD FRONT THURSDAY NIGHT OR FRIDAY.
THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES LITTLE.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Hurricanehink » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm surprised they're assessing its potential as so low. I know conditions aren't favorable tomorrow, but that shouldn't matter if it's a TC right now or not. The convection has persisted all day.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#55 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Hurricanehink wrote:I'm surprised they're assessing its potential as so low. I know conditions aren't favorable tomorrow, but that shouldn't matter if it's a TC right now or not. The convection has persisted all day.

Maybe they may do something on post season?
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#56 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm

:uarrow: Luis, I don't think they'll have to wait for post-season. If it persists and keeps developing they'll have to do something tomorrow. I have to admit 20% seems much too low unless they see something about the shear we don't, or they think it will accelerate northeastward very quickly before it can develop much more. But 24 hours is more than enough for this to get to TD or TS if it doesn't move very much during that time. I really wish I knew more about what they were thinking.
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 pm

It has a very low shear environment where it's sitting right now and if it moves northeast, the most likely direction when it starts moving, it has a low shear environment ahead of it. Note that this is currrent shear plus tendency to increase or decrease over the last 24 hours, but shear doesn't look to change much over the next 24 hours either.

0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby ozonepete » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Still looks pretty good. Doesn't look like it's weakening. More important, it doesn't look like it's moving very much. Since it has gotten a little elongated on a north-northeast to south-southwest angle, the worst case scenario for this is if it gets stretched further along that axis. That would kill the symmtery and it could get stretched into a wave and dissipate right into the front. But right now the visuals don't suggest that scenario. It's too far to the south of the tail of the front and still drifting slightly east. I still think the front will leave it behind.

0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby fci » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 am

Up to 50%

Satellite imagery indicates the small well-defined low pressure system located about 275 miles east of the central Bahamas has
continued to become better organized. Thunderstorm activity has increased near the circulation center over the past several hours
and...if this development trend continues...a tropical depression could form and briefly persist before hostile upper-level winds
cause rapid weakening of the low...or the low merges with a cold front...by this afternoon. This system has a medium chance...50
percent
...of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours as it moves eastward or southeastward at 5 to 10 mph.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 am

1. Closed, well-defined area of low pressure not attached to a frontal zone: Check
2. Organized, persistent, deep convection: Check
3. Originated over subtropical/tropical waters: Check
4. T2.0/2.0 - SAB: Check

...Why isn't this a declared tropical cyclone again?
0 likes   

Return to “2012”