ATL: SANDY - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1161 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

fowey rocks reporting sustained wind of 48 gusting to 58mph
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ATL: SANDY - Hurricane - Discussion

#1162 Postby Ntxw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Never seen the models show such power consistently this far north in a believable range. Hope the east coast people are prepared and take every wording seriously.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1163 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm

whole lot of reports of wind gusting well in to the 50's things getting worse SE fl winds reports well inland too not just on the coast.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#1164 Postby jaxfladude » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Evil Jeremy wrote:
wxman57 wrote:This has the potential to a historic storm for the northeast. Something we'll talk about decades from now (I hope I'll be around decades from now). A very large subtropical storm with hurricane-force wind striking south of Long Island/NHC nearly head-on into the coast would be an extremely rare event. This could set the record for the number of people without power from a single storm. Flooding will be like nothing many have seen in their lifetimes. Very, very bad...

wxman, I've been a member here for around 7 years now, and I have never seen you speak like this. I've never seen you this worried. And that worries me.

This even more worrisome than the post by wxman that I replied to. So I am not the only one......
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1165 Postby ozonepete » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

johngaltfla wrote:
wxman57 wrote:This has the potential to a historic storm for the northeast. Something we'll talk about decades from now (I hope I'll be around decades from now). A very large subtropical storm with hurricane-force wind striking south of Long Island/NHC nearly head-on into the coast would be an extremely rare event. This could set the record for the number of people without power from a single storm. Flooding will be like nothing many have seen in their lifetimes. Very, very bad...

wx, as long as I have seen you here, I've never heard you so concerned. My question to you and other mets, is if there is a possibility of freezing weather impacting the region after the storm passes, which would be doubly devastating. Once the power is out with a wind swath like this, we could see folks without heat for upwards of a month and right into the start of winter.

Any snow that falls will be well inland over the interior Appalachian areas of Pennsylvania and western VA. This would not be unusual for them. They can get snow and freezing weather in late September so it wouldn't be historic. And the overall jet flow after this moves out is forecast to be zonal so there should be a return to normal or above normal temps for any areas that get snow.
Having said that I would agree with wxman57 that this is surely looking like a really bad, and yes historic storm for the mid-Atlantic to northeast. It's the amount of coastal water damage, flooding damage and widespread wind damage that will be historic if the model forecasts are right.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1166 Postby baygirl_1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:54 pm

I read a lot but don't post much here; love reading and learning. I, too, have never seen such a post from Wxman57. I'll be calling and emailing our relatives up and down the Eastern Seaboard, especially those on Long Island and in New England, to make sure they are prepping and taking this seriously. Thanks for all the good info y'all! And hope all in this storm's path stay safe.
0 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#1167 Postby pgoss11 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:55 pm

jaxfladude wrote:
Evil Jeremy wrote:

wxman, I've been a member here for around 7 years now, and I have never seen you speak like this. I've never seen you this worried. And that worries me.

This even more worrisome than the post by wxman that I replied to. So I am not the only one......

Yeah..this isn't hype either..it's genuine concern for people further up the east coast. I live in Charleston SC but all my family is in southern NE, so I am very concerned. They seem to be downplaying in Rhode Island but people just need to be aware and prepared. That's how lives are saved.
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1168 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:whole lot of reports of wind gusting well in to the 50's things getting worse SE fl winds reports well inland too not just on the coast.

Not much wind here... maybe 25mph though I am sure the stronger winds will spread north later tonight
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1169 Postby artist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:whole lot of reports of wind gusting well in to the 50's things getting worse SE fl winds reports well inland too not just on the coast.

yep, just had to pick stuff up here.
0 likes   

michaelder
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1170 Postby michaelder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Lake Worth Pier just below sustained TS winds
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:24:00 UTC
Winds: NNE (30°) at 34.0 kt gusting to 44.1 kt
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.71 in
0 likes   

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1171 Postby Weatherguy173 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Don't you remember the 1938 new england hurricane striking long island? That's historic. It killed over 680 people - directly.
Last edited by Weatherguy173 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#1172 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:

Not much wind here... maybe 25mph though I am sure the stronger winds will spread north later tonight

yeah things are picking up there too. some reports coming in now around there.
0 likes   

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#1173 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Squalls seem to be getting stronger down here as well.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1174 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Guys whats the chances of the models being dead on right with this storm?

I have so much family living on the East coast especially in the Carolinas and in NYC... This is worrying.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1175 Postby ozonepete » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

This and all of the other posts coming in now show how the wind field is expanding. Boy is this going to be a rough storm and for so long. Wxman57 I have to chime in that your post was chilling but the models are converging towards just such an historic event. It reminds me of the superstorm of 1993 when all of the models converged on an historic event and they were right. This one looks like it will join that club of truly historic storms. I don't mind telling you that people here in the New york city area are starting to get worried. That, at least, makes me hopeful that people will take heed.
0 likes   

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#1176 Postby caneseddy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:10 pm

i just got home (live in downtown Miami) and there are a lot of trees and branches down around my condo
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1177 Postby Portastorm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Let me add my own two pesos into the mix and tell you all that I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen wxman57 speaking of a weather event in such terms. And his voice joins a growing chorus of recognized national meteorologists who concur. I hope and pray that folks along the East Coast (and inland areas) take this serious and spend their weekend preparing for this event.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#1178 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

NWS just upgraded the forecast for winds drastically in Miami, and went back to TS conditions possible.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#1179 Postby jhpigott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Wind has picked up here in northern palm beach county as well (I'm a little less than a mile from the coast as the crow flies). Hope that cyclonic loop that some of the models are forecasting in the NW Bahamas doesn't push Sandy too close to the SE FL coast.
0 likes   

seussianagenda
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1180 Postby seussianagenda » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:18 pm

I will be live posting from Norfolk Va during the event. I'm quite nervous about this one as I think it does have the chance to affect us directly.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”