MED: CHRISTOFFER - Subtropical Storm

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanieleItalyRm
Category 1
Category 1

MED: CHRISTOFFER - Subtropical Storm

#1 Postby DanieleItalyRm » Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 am

A storm formed yesterday on Algerian coast and it moved east/North-East. Today is center between Sardinia and Tunisia.
It is alimented by a warm flux from North-Africa and also moves a lot of sand from North Africa to southern Italy;
The name CHRISTOFFER was assigned to fu-Berlin university, as is the case with the cyclones in Europe under 1000 hpa.
The storm expected in deepened this night, but lose warm air in the center, when he gets' off the coast of Italy.
998 Hpa
wind 35-45 knots
gust 50 knots
Max waves high 5-6m

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

TheEuropean
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: MED: CHRISTOFFER - Subtropical Storm

#2 Postby TheEuropean » Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Daniele,

Thx for showing. I don't think that this system was tropical or subtropical, but this system was impressive.

A correction: FU in Berlin names not only storms with central pressure under 1000 hpa. They name all high and low pressure systems that have influence on the central european weather.

Regards, Thomas
0 likes   

DanieleItalyRm
Category 1
Category 1

Re: MED: CHRISTOFFER - Subtropical Storm

#3 Postby DanieleItalyRm » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 am

Hello Thomas,
I know this was obviously not a tropical-cyclone, but had unusual features differently from common Mediterranean cyclogenesis. Moreover, it is easy for a depression that persists in the Mediterranean, take a warm core fed from warm North Africa air.
I think instead, that initially this storm had sub-tropical characteristics, then rapidly lost. Initially, he hired a warm core, then lost with the later development, and lost so 'convection near the center.
Regards, Daniele

the depression on 23 may over Italian coast:

0 likes   

Return to “2013”