WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

PaulR
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1261 Postby PaulR » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:12 am

I just stumbled across this, online - not sure of its veracity, but it seems to fit. Really bad...

James Reynolds @typhoonfury
I've not from Jim Edds @extremestorms I hope he's OK. Surge swamped ground floor of most buildings downtown, higher right on sea
7 minutes ago

James Reynolds @typhoonfury
Mark, Josh & I are safe, evacced to Cebu on air force C130. Tacloban devastated, death & destruction everywhere #YolandaPH #Haiyan
15 minutes ago
0 likes   
"Normal" is Chicago under a mile of ice.

ohno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1262 Postby ohno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:39 am

PHL Local TV station ABS-CBN are showing Tacloban footages just right now. So heartbreaking. I'm 240lbs 5'11 guy but I'm crying right now...

I think of all the natural disasters we(PHL) encountered, this one is the hardest to recover. We may need help from other countries. Gloomy Christmas season for us.

God bless the Philippines
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1263 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:42 am

Media now getting access to Tacloban, and I agree with the reporters' comments. This could be more devastating than last year's Bopha. The videos of people cowering on the streets while everything around them is in ruins........no words..
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1264 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 am

The Filipinos are very much familiar with strong winds, torrential rains, flashfloods as cyclones often visit the Philippines every year....but there is something new which Haiyan introduced to them..storm surge.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1265 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:01 am

ohno wrote:PHL Local TV station ABS-CBN are showing Tacloban footages just right now. So heartbreaking. I'm 240lbs 5'11 guy but I'm crying right now...

I think of all the natural disasters we(PHL) encountered, this one is the hardest to recover. We may need help from other countries. Gloomy Christmas season for us.

What city are you from?
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

PaulR
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#1266 Postby PaulR » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:30 am

ohno wrote:PHL Local TV station ABS-CBN are showing Tacloban footages just right now. So heartbreaking. I'm 240lbs 5'11 guy but I'm crying right now...

I don't know if this is the same report - all I can do is shake my head. "Storm surge" is mentioned repeatedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_OmzwZp6U#t=338
0 likes   
"Normal" is Chicago under a mile of ice.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Typhoon

#1267 Postby ozonepete » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:31 am

One thing is quite clear from the images from Tacloban that beside the terrible storm surge, winds were incredibly high. Most trees in the city were blown over or snapped in half and some were stripped of their bark. This indicates winds way up on the scale, at least cat 4 and probably cat 5 in some parts of the city. Just amazing damage in that area.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1268 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:47 am

The friends of my grandparents own a hotel called Hotel Alejandro in Palo. I wonder how it is now....

ANYWAYS.....
I am deeply saddened of this event. I even got scared as the windows were shaking, the first time I've experienced this. The rains [at 11am] were so intense that it looked like smoke-fog and it was because the winds were howling and the doors were banging. I was surprised that even if we're quite far - about 100 kilometers - away from the eye, we experienced winds of about 150 km/h or more. We were at Mandaue, although the Northern tip of Cebu province suffered worse, same as what the Warays in Eastern Leyte had - Category 5 strength winds.

I hope the death toll would not rise too quickly. I pray for the recovery of the areas devastated by this monster.

OFF TOPIC...
I heard that another typhoon [possibly Zoraida/Podul] will directly hit my city - Cebu - and several parts of Visayas. I hope that it will not be as strong as this storm.

POWER OUTAGE: 9:30 am Nov 08-10:30 am Nov 09.

At least compared to typhoon Mike/Ruping's 3 weeks of power outage in Cebu.

Mike was also a terrible typhoon that hit us directly.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1269 Postby ozonepete » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:58 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:The friends of my grandparents own a hotel called Hotel Alejandro in Palo. I wonder how it is now....

ANYWAYS.....
I am deeply saddened of this event. I even got scared as the windows were shaking, the first time I've experienced this. The rains [at 11am] were so intense that it looked like smoke-fog and it was because the winds were howling and the doors were banging. I was surprised that even if we're quite far - about 100 kilometers - away from the eye, we experienced winds of about 150 km/h or more. We were at Mandaue, although the Northern tip of Cebu province suffered worse, same as what the Warays in Eastern Leyte had - Category 5 strength winds.

I hope the death toll would not rise too quickly. I pray for the recovery of the areas devastated by this monster.

OFF TOPIC...
I heard that another typhoon [possibly Zoraida/Podul] will directly hit my city - Cebu - and several parts of Visayas. I hope that it will not be as strong as this storm.

I'm so glad you are ok and hope your family's friends are ok as well. This must have been very scary for you. As for the possibility of another storm, don't listen to rumors; just keep checking in with us and we'll help you get through it - right now it doesn't look to be too bad. Hang in there. :)
0 likes   

ohno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Re:

#1270 Postby ohno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 am

ozonepete wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:The friends of my grandparents own a hotel called Hotel Alejandro in Palo. I wonder how it is now....

ANYWAYS.....

OFF TOPIC...

I'm so glad you are ok and hope your family's friends are ok as well. This must have been very scary for you. As for the possibility of another storm, just keep checking in with us and we'll help you get through it - right now it doesn't look to be too bad. Hang in there. :)

Hi ozonepete. What do you mean by " it doesn't look to be too bad". Less chance of developing or will develop but a minimal storm?
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1271 Postby Alyono » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 am

may go more toward Mindanao
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#1272 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 am

The next storm *should* go more south toward Mindanao, and not be very strong. But you should definitely keep checking in for updates.

For those of us outside of the Philippines, I found a livestreaming mirror of the ABS-CBN news station. It is horrifying.

http://www.pinoy-ako.info/pinoy-live-tv ... 9GtRg.dpbs

And here is the GMA network:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/video/18 ... nov-9-2013

We have heard from James Reynolds (@typhoonfury on Twitter) and Josh Morgerson (iCylone on Facebook) and Mark Thomas, but not from Jim Edds (@ExtremeStorms) yet.

Josh posted this:

First off, Tacloban City is devastated. The city is a horrid landscape of smashed buildings and completely defoliated trees, with widespread looting and unclaimed bodies decaying in the open air. The typhoon moved fast and didn't last long-- only a few hours-- but it struck the city with absolutely terrifying ferocity. At the height of the storm, as the wind rose to a scream, as windows exploded and as our solid-concrete downtown hotel trembled from the impact of flying debris, as pictures blew off the walls and as children became hysterical, a tremendous storm surge swept the entire downtown. Waterfront blocks were reduced to heaps of rubble. In our hotel, trapped first-floor guests smashed the windows of their rooms to keep from drowning and screamed for help, and we had to drop our cameras and pull them out on mattresses and physically carry the elderly and disabled to the second floor. Mark's leg was ripped open by a piece of debris and he'll require surgery. The city has no communication with the outside world. The hospitals are overflowing with the critically injured. The surrounding communities are mowed down. After a bleak night in a hot, pitch-black, trashed hotel, James, Mark, and I managed to get out of the city on a military chopper and get to Cebu via a C-130-- sitting next to corpses in body bags. Meteorologically, Super Typhoon HAIYAN was fascinating; from a human-interest standpoint, it was utterly ghastly. It's been difficult to process.

The photo that came with the post is beyond words.

Save The Children International (A well-known and highly rated charity that does important work)
http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8 ... 7AodpFoA9Q

Shelter Box (provides a durable container packed with tools, a tent, bedding, stove - the necessities for recovery and rebuilding)
http://www.shelterbox.org/

Philippine Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org.ph/
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1273 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 am

ozonepete wrote:

ANYWAYS.....

OFF TOPIC...

I'm so glad you are ok and hope your family's friends are ok as well. This must have been very scary for you. As for the possibility of another storm, don't listen to rumors; just keep checking in with us and we'll help you get through it - right now it doesn't look to be too bad. Hang in there. :)

I know 2 of my relatives are already missing...
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#1274 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:06 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I know 2 of my relatives are already missing...

The Hotel Alejandro in southern Tacloban is where the storm chasers I quoted just above were staying. It was largely destroyed but many did survive there so there is hope. The military is in the area with relief supplies now. It will take a long time to get communications back however. How are you keeping your iPhone charged? Be cautious with how you use your battery life.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1275 Postby euro6208 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am

ejeraldmc wrote:Tony Samson

6 hours ago via Mobile
Our latest report on tacloban: numerous people are feared dead after the astrodome sports complex which served as a shelter collapsed with lots of evacuees inside. There was a tsunami-like effect and it is reported that a ship of undetermined size was washed on top of the gaisano supermarket. Two truckloads of army soldiers from catb was met with surging flood, was washed away. Only two soldiers survived. Two housing projects near the San Juanico bridge were flooded.water in the city proper was reported to have reached at least 10 feet..vehicles were washed away like match boxes..

http://www.facebook.com/tony.samson3/po ... 6179765798

:eek:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1276 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 am

We've heard news from Leyte, but we haven't heard updates from Eastern Samar, especially Guian. I wonder why no one reported from Samar yet.
0 likes   

ohno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1277 Postby ohno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:17 am

Just a curious question. Is it possible for a super typhoon like this hitting Manila?
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#1278 Postby euro6208 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:21 am

This is truly heartbreaking! :cry:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1279 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 am

somethingfunny wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I know 2 of my relatives are already missing...

The Hotel Alejandro in southern Tacloban is where the storm chasers I quoted just above were staying. It was largely destroyed but many did survive there so there is hope. The military is in the area with relief supplies now. It will take a long time to get communications back however. How are you keeping your iPhone charged? Be cautious with how you use your battery life.

It was borrowed. Now, we charged it. I will tell them [the owners as they know me] about the damage.

Anyways, this was like... a NIGHTMARE! 100 kilometers away, still experienced typhoon-force winds of probably 150 kph. Terrible... Hope for us to recover too.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1280 Postby Alyono » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:29 am

next stop... densely populated and surge prone Hanoi
0 likes   

Return to “2013”