ATL: TWO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TWO - Remnants - Discussion

#221 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am

Blown Away wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Was corresponding with Phil Klotzbach yesterday regarding the state of the tropics. He was saying that he's never seen the Tropical Atlantic so unfavorable in almost every way. Cool water, high pressure, sinking air, dry air, unfavorable upper winds. Everything is anti-hurricane, and the values are about as anti-hurricane as he's seen in decades. One place that isn't so unfavorable is the Gulf of Mexico. Have to watch for close-in development this year.

Generally it seems these unfavorable conditions have been around for years, at what point do we conclude an overall pattern change has ocurred from the active period that started in the mid 1990's

Yea, I agree, it's now starting to seem like having a hurricane develop in the Atlantic now is against the norm during hurricane season..While we don't want to see hurricanes damage or hurt anyone, hurricanes can provide lots of moisture to drought stricken areas...And with lots of states already suffering from droughts, no more tropical development can be a bad thing..... :(
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#222 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:19 am

Well whats left of TD2 is a nice looking wave with moisture. If it makes it to the GOM or BOC, we might have to take another look at her.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Airboy
Category 1
Category 1

#223 Postby Airboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 am

Still looks like it have some blow ups and vorticity when i looks at sat/maps, how is the condition for any development coming days when it gets further west?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#224 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

Airboy wrote:Still looks like it have some blow ups and vorticity when i looks at sat/maps, how is the condition for any development coming days when it gets further west?

It's heading into a region of extremely strong low-level wind flow (35-40kts at 850mb). There is little chance of it surviving as an identifiable feature.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#225 Postby Alyono » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 am

ninel conde wrote:i think the active period ended a few years ago and might be the shortest active period ever. we got quite lucky as the active period of 1933-1964 featured many more major canes hitting the US. most of the time since 1995 we have had a protective trough in the west atlantic.

Many of those "majors" were really cat 1s and 2s with low pressures.

Isabel and irene both would have been majors in that period as only pressure was used to assign categories
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#226 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 pm

ninel conde wrote:i think the active period ended a few years ago and might be the shortest active period ever. we got quite lucky as the active period of 1933-1964 featured many more major canes hitting the US. most of the time since 1995 we have had a protective trough in the west atlantic.

The past few years haven't really deviated much from the norm. 2010 was obviously hyperactive, with 12 hurricanes and 5 major hurricanes. 2011 featured 7 hurricanes and 4 major hurricanes. 2012 featured 12 hurricanes but only 2 major hurricanes, but it's likely that enhanced convection in the EPAC (via that two month period of equatorial warming) enhanced the TUTT which increased shear across the tropical Atlantic. That would explain why most storms formed north of 25N. 2013 was truly the only oddball in terms of numbers.

One thing that I should point out, however, is that comparing 500mb relative humidity in the 2006-2013 period to the 2000-2005 period shows that the central and eastern Atlantic is much drier. The cause of that, I don't know, but this year looks to be following suit. It's actually a bit surprising considering that the Africa Sahel region is returning to a period of above-average rainfall, which would favor stronger and more convective tropical waves. The Gulf of Guinea and Indian Ocean have generally both been cooler than average for the past several years, which would also favor a moist central/eastern Atlantic.

But that seems unrelated to the AMO (active/inactive era).
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#227 Postby blp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Good post. I agree 100%.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#228 Postby Steve820 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Steve820 wrote:Hopefully it doesn't become named. I don't want any name-stealers. But, at least it became a tropical cyclone! :)

Looks like my wish came true. It didn't become named! :D
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

Return to “2014”