2014 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#41 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Meanwhile, the Atlantic IMO is pretty much a lock to have no retirements at this point. Arthur is the best chance, and I would say only about 10% right now.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#42 Postby HurricaneRyan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Gonzalo might be a candidate now. Wow!
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

I think Gonzalo also will be a strong candidate as it had major impacts on the NE Caribbean islands while it was strengthening into what is now a major hurricane and potentially could seriously impact Bermuda before this week ends.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: 2014 Cyclones Retirement

#44 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Obviously there's no sure bet that Ana will have enough of an impact on Hawaii, but if it does merit retirement what would that mean for the Atlantic Ana scheduled for next season?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby Andrew92 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Obviously there's no sure bet that Ana will have enough of an impact on Hawaii, but if it does merit retirement what would that mean for the Atlantic Ana scheduled for next season?

Personally, I don't like the idea of having Ana on the Atlantic and CPAC lists at the same time. If it were up to me, if Ana gets retired in the CPAC for whatever it might do to Hawaii, I think it should go in the Atlantic beginning immediately. Like, a new A storm next year.

But I think I'd rather just see it go anyway, even if Hawaii keeps it. What if this storm hadn't occurred, but Hawaii was threatened by a storm with this name, and another storm was threatening another part of the US to begin the season, also named Ana? WAY too confusing for my liking.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Andrew92 wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:Obviously there's no sure bet that Ana will have enough of an impact on Hawaii, but if it does merit retirement what would that mean for the Atlantic Ana scheduled for next season?

Personally, I don't like the idea of having Ana on the Atlantic and CPAC lists at the same time. If it were up to me, if Ana gets retired in the CPAC for whatever it might do to Hawaii, I think it should go in the Atlantic beginning immediately. Like, a new A storm next year.

But I think I'd rather just see it go anyway, even if Hawaii keeps it. What if this storm hadn't occurred, but Hawaii was threatened by a storm with this name, and another storm was threatening another part of the US to begin the season, also named Ana? WAY too confusing for my liking.

-Andrew92

I seriously wonder why they would put the same exact name with the same exact spelling on the storm list for two different basins where in either one it could affect the U.S. in some way? IMO, they should of never had Ana on the C. Pacific list and only had it on the Atlantic list. Just my thoughts.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby Andrew92 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Or Ana could be in the CPAC list to begin with, while another name like Amber or Ariel is used for the Atlantic. (only suggesting those names since they've never been used in the Atlantic, though I do like Abby and Amy a lot too)

-Andrew92
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#48 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:02 am

Andrew92 wrote:Or Ana could be in the CPAC list to begin with, while another name like Amber or Ariel is used for the Atlantic. (only suggesting those names since they've never been used in the Atlantic, though I do like Abby and Amy a lot too)

-Andrew92

Could get real interesting if Ana causes major problem for Hawaii and gets retired. :eek:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Steve820
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#49 Postby Steve820 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 pm

I also wonder what will happen if Ana becomes really devastating in Hawaii and gets retired? Maybe a new name might be introduced in the Atlantic before the start of next season! And, I would say that Gonzalo might have a decent shot at retirement once it's all said and done. It could get as bad as a re-Fabian (2003) for Bermuda.
0 likes   
Hurricanes are an amazing natural phenomena. While many are spiraling pits of evil that kill people or cause devastation, some are tame and stay clear of land.

I wish for you to :Bcool:

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby HurricaneBill » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:05 pm

I don't see the problem with Ana.

Celia, Dora, and Hilda are on the EPAC lists, despite being retired Atlantic names.
0 likes   

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby Andrew92 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:I don't see the problem with Ana.

Celia, Dora, and Hilda are on the EPAC lists, despite being retired Atlantic names.

I don't like that either. Call me a cynic, but if a name is retired in the Atlantic, it shouldn't be used in the EPAC either, and vice versa.

Still, if Ana hadn't been used this year, it would have had the potential to be used both in the Atlantic and the CPAC for next year. What if two storms with that same name and spelling occurred at the same time, and one was threatening Hawaii and the other somewhere in the mainland, such as the Gulf Coast?

Two storms, both named Ana, heading towards US coastline at the same time. Talk about confusing, especially if they have roughly the same intensity.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#52 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:13 pm

So many strange decisions to be made by the WMO...
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#53 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Andrew92 wrote:

I don't like that either. Call me a cynic, but if a name is retired in the Atlantic, it shouldn't be used in the EPAC either, and vice versa.

Still, if Ana hadn't been used this year, it would have had the potential to be used both in the Atlantic and the CPAC for next year. What if two storms with that same name and spelling occurred at the same time, and one was threatening Hawaii and the other somewhere in the mainland, such as the Gulf Coast?

Two storms, both named Ana, heading towards US coastline at the same time. Talk about confusing, especially if they have roughly the same intensity.

-Andrew92

Should retired ATL/EPAC names be used in other basins like the WPAC, SPAC, and AUS or visa versa? That happens from time to time.
0 likes   

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Andrew92 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Andrew92 wrote:

-Andrew92

Should retired ATL/EPAC names be used in other basins like the WPAC, SPAC, and AUS or visa versa? That happens from time to time.

I actually don't really have a beef with that. A lot of names that get retired in the Atlantic and EPAC are really only recognized in this general area, and the same is true in places like Australia and Asia. I certainly wouldn't be picking Tracy to be replacement name for any T female storm to be retired though since I think even we in America sometimes talk about that storm's impacts to this day, and my hope is Katrina won't be used again, at least for a very long time, elsewhere for the same reason. I know Typhoon Omar still gets some talk these days for what it did to Guam, so I would rather see a name like Owen or Oliver be used instead.

Celia, Dora, and Hilda were all retired for effects in the US, and flooding from the moisture of EPAC versions of these names could certainly cause major flooding damage in the Southwestern states. Hilda could arguably have been retired for its 1955 use though, as that one killed over 300 people, and I believe caused a lot of damage in Mexico. But we all know how consistent Mexico is with requesting names to be retired.

All in all though, I wouldn't be bothered with quite a few names that were retired in the Atlantic and EPAC being used in a place like Australia or the Indian Ocean. They pay little attention to our storms, which aren't impacting their territories at all. It's just the Atlantic and EPAC storms tend to threaten the same countries together (except for the Antilles, Bermuda, and Canada), and that's where my beef is.

But regardless of what this Ana does? My guess is Ana will stick in the Atlantic. I won't like it, but I think that's what will happen.

-Andrew92
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#55 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:08 am

Andrew92 wrote:

-Andrew92

I appreciate your concern, but no one should call you a "cynic" because I "cynicism" is not a state that would lead you to such a conclusion. I think you meant to use a word like "alarmist" or "worrywort" here. :)

I am not sure that the people who created the CPAC list were paying attention to the other lists at all. What they were doing is using all names which are pronouncable in the Hawaiian language. I do think it would have been very bad and confusing to have had an Ana in both the CPAC and the Atlantic at the same time, given the modern media. But I'm not sure that having an Ana in the Atlantic next year would really be a big problem even if this year's CPAC Ana turns out to create a lot of news. It might even be good in terms of getting people on the East Coast to take a threat from an Ana seriously.
0 likes   

jaguarjace
Category 4
Category 4

#56 Postby jaguarjace » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:54 am

All the Ana's in the Atlantic Basin. All were tropical storms.

0 likes   
Owner of the Tropical Archive YouTube channel
Web Developer at Force Thirteen
Twitter/X : @force13_support

RainbowAppleJackDash

#57 Postby RainbowAppleJackDash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Gonzalo?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Yeah it looks like Gonzalo is headed for the :Can: at this rate. After only one use.
0 likes   

RainbowAppleJackDash

Re:

#59 Postby RainbowAppleJackDash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:02 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Yeah it looks like Gonzalo is headed for the :Can: at this rate. After only one use.

I feel sorry for those in Gonzalo at the moment. :( But look what's happening elsewhere on the Net
I think that would be the NHC and the WMO's reaction to name retirement candidates. Gonzalo? He's out at this rate. Any name suggestions?
0 likes   

RainbowAppleJackDash

#60 Postby RainbowAppleJackDash » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:02 pm

So from Gustav => Gonzalo => ?
Any names that CAN'T be used?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”