Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8281 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 am

Check out this observation out of DFW last night (it wasn't showing up during the event, for whatever reason they didn't put out data)

04 23:53 N 21 G 35 0.00 Snow and Breezy (0.00) is visibility

From about 11pm and continued to 1pm.

The almost blizzard non-blizzard by criteria.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#8282 Postby TexasF6 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:26 am

Porta, watch some Charlie Brown! It helps. Lucy gets punched good in Snoopy Come Home!!! :ggreen: :cheesy: :lol: #AustinSnowLessnessTherapy
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8283 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:41 am

Someone, I think WacoWx, asked about flying out of DFW today the other day. I don't think it's going to happen with 600-700+ flights canceled.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8284 Postby TexasF6 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am

My side walk is still icy! 33 degrees @LHWC!
0 likes   

Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8285 Postby Tammie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 am

So has Spring officially sprung after yesterday's storm, or are there other surprises in store in the next 10 days?
0 likes   
Tammie - Sherman TX

Longhornmaniac8
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8286 Postby Longhornmaniac8 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:02 pm

As much as I hate another bust, I think EWX ultimately did the right thing by issuing the WSW, and I was pleased to see that the school districts were proactive with their shutterings.

We were a degree or two away from a pretty considerable event here, and I think it's entirely unrealistic to expect a forecast office to be able to pinpoint an event this dynamic with that resolution. In this case, I'd much rather places err on the side of caution with protecting people.

As has been said by others, I don't envy those folks; they've been made to look like fools repeatedly this winter (and last winter, too, a couple of times), but we all know how nuanced these forecast packages are. They've tried over and over again to tightrope the forecast, understandably, and have somehow been burned every time.

For their sake, can't we just have a clear-cut winter event just once?
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8287 Postby orangeblood » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:Someone, I think WacoWx, asked about flying out of DFW today the other day. I don't think it's going to happen with 600-700+ flights canceled.

Yep, DFW is a mess...currently stuck in Colorado waiting on a flight. Hated to miss the blizzard of 2015 but had almost 4 feet over the past week up here, got my snow fix in!!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8288 Postby Portastorm » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Longhornmaniac8 wrote:As much as I hate another bust, I think EWX ultimately did the right thing by issuing the WSW, and I was pleased to see that the school districts were proactive with their shutterings.

We were a degree or two away from a pretty considerable event here, and I think it's entirely unrealistic to expect a forecast office to be able to pinpoint an event this dynamic with that resolution. In this case, I'd much rather places err on the side of caution with protecting people.

As has been said by others, I don't envy those folks; they've been made to look like fools repeatedly this winter (and last winter, too, a couple of times), but we all know how nuanced these forecast packages are. They've tried over and over again to tightrope the forecast, understandably, and have somehow been burned every time.

I'm in complete agreement with you. If they hadn't pulled the trigger on a WS Warning and the event occurred, everyone would be screaming today for their heads on a pike. We all saw the tools they have access to ... outside of the NAM, everything showed a significant winter storm to occur. We should never lose our awe of nature and this just reminds those of us in Austin that the weather can be unpredictable.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8289 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Portastorm wrote:I'm in complete agreement with you. If they hadn't pulled the trigger on a WS Warning and the event occurred, everyone would be screaming today for their heads on a pike. We all saw the tools they have access to ... outside of the NAM, everything showed a significant winter storm to occur. We should never lose our awe of nature and this just reminds those of us in Austin that the weather can be unpredictable.

It's very predictable, just call for freezing drizzle :wink: Just kidding. It's kind of becoming a staple that during every event it is automatic frz drizzle in Austin... Man I was pulling for you guys to get something, it was probably the last chance that way for the winter. Good news GFS is showing lots of rain in the long range with the blossoming El Nino. We continue to hammer down the drought. The holdouts in NW and NTX have been eating away at it since January.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8290 Postby wxman57 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:23 pm

12Z GFS looks much more reasonable for next week. Reasonable meaning no Arctic front next Friday and well above-normal temps for Texas. I'm sure it's correct now.

Here is a comparison to the 6Z run valid for the same time. Just goes to show that you can't trust those "off-hour" runs. ;-)

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8291 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:31 pm

wxman57 wrote:12Z GFS looks much more reasonable for next week. Reasonable meaning no Arctic front next Friday and well above-normal temps for Texas. I'm sure it's correct now.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... _us_37.png

Here is a comparison to the 6Z run valid for the same time. Just goes to show that you can't trust those "off-hour" runs. ;-)

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... _us_38.png

We'll give it to you till the 20th. Then we take over again for the Vernal Equinox to Easter.

So the RGEM has performed well the past several events. Apparently it is the Regional (mesoscale) version of the Canadian! Essentially it is like the NAM is to the GFS, interesting. I'll be curious how it performs with rainstorms qpf wise as the NAM frequently outperforms the GFS with qpf during those big rain events.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#8292 Postby Shoshana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Longhornmaniac8 wrote:As much as I hate another bust, I think EWX ultimately did the right thing by issuing the WSW, and I was pleased to see that the school districts were proactive with their shutterings.

I'm in complete agreement with you. If they hadn't pulled the trigger on a WS Warning and the event occurred, everyone would be screaming today for their heads on a pike. We all saw the tools they have access to ... outside of the NAM, everything showed a significant winter storm to occur. We should never lose our awe of nature and this just reminds those of us in Austin that the weather can be unpredictable.

Yup. We wound up with pouring rain, thunder and 33f. It could have been really bad.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#8293 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Question:

Since there are Pros here and other in 'official' capacities, can't something be done to keep trucks off the roads that same way airports and other facilities are closed? There are all kinds of reports today of Interstates blocked by a large number of trucks bogged down in snow which is hampering snow removal efforts. This happens in every storm all over the country. Since they're 'regulated' by DOT as far as driver rules and hours among other things, can't they be ordered off the roads once a Winter Storm Warning is issued?

I know they can't do anything about passenger cars in most cases unless they close the roads completely, buts it's far easier to move a passenger car or SUV out of the way than a loaded semi.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8294 Postby Brent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 pm

The melting is so fast :( lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8295 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:27 pm

March sun and clear blue skies doing the melting, spots in the shadows holding strong but exposed snow is melting good.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8296 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Yea, hard to believe last night was a winter wonderland in many places and today it's just muddy and wet with a few places in the shade still snowy. Its sad that winter is pretty much over even though it feels like it just started with the good last couple of weeks.
0 likes   
#neversummer

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#8297 Postby aggiecutter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Texarkana received 1" of sleet, with 2" of snow on top of that. That makes 3 significant winter weather events in the past 10 days, not bad for late February-early March. Props to JB for nailing the pattern. And, the Austin Omega Block still rules. Speaking of JB, "Enjoy the weather. It's the only weather you've got"(Joe Bastardi).
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8298 Postby Brent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Yea, hard to believe last night was a winter wonderland in many places and today it's just muddy and wet with a few places in the shade still snowy. Its sad that winter is pretty much over even though it feels like it just started with the good last couple of weeks.

The difference is so stark. You couldn't even see the end of my street at the peak last night
0 likes   
#neversummer

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8299 Postby wxman57 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Snow is melting very fast in Texas. Quite a difference from this morning. Look at all the snow in eastern Arkansas:

From 10:15am CDT:

From 2:15pm CDT
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8300 Postby gboudx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Amazing how quickly it's melting. Good riddance.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”