Deep South Winterwx Discussion 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5681 Postby Hammy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:15 pm

SeGaBob wrote:I'm tired of this unseasonable warmth... it got up to 83 here today. :double:

I went to Athens yesterday and it was 79 and humid (with the sun being out on top of it.) Nothing like Florida weather when that was a major reason I moved from there. :roll:
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

timmeister
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Deep South Winterwx Discussion

#5682 Postby timmeister » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:22 pm

80 degrees currently in Hattiesburg, MS and the heat index is 83. Light rain and pretty humid, 73%.

Can't wait till that Bermuda high slips off to the east and lets some cold air down here. It feels like September and not the end of December. I hope Ntxw is right with his prediction, and we get the colder air mid January and with the NWS saying above average moisture maybe we'll get some snow this year.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be cool here during the day and cold at night. Lows in Hattiesburg Friday night are supposed to be around 33, with a high on Saturday near 49. That's more like it for this time of year. Artic blast, come on down!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Jag95
Category 1
Category 1

#5683 Postby Jag95 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:59 pm

80 degrees on Christmas was weird, even for the Deep South. Looks like it's back to seasonal or below seasonal averages later this week, but still no real major shot of cold air. The climate prediction center still has us as below average in temps for the next 1-3 months though. Maybe later. The pattern does seem to be changing a little.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5684 Postby LarryWx » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 am

Per yesterday's MDA daily forecast for KATL for Dec., they have them projected back up to 57.5 F (+12.2) which would be the warmest month of any of DJF on record there going back to 1878-9! History about to be made?

Kudos to MDA if KATL gets the record warmest Dec/any month of DJF as they first forecasted this way back on 12/19, which incorporated adjusting warmer to negate recent strong cold model consensus bias.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#5685 Postby Agua » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:30 am

timmeister wrote:80 degrees currently in Hattiesburg, MS and the heat index is 83. Light rain and pretty humid, 73%.

Hattiesburg is consistently one of the hottest places in Mississippi. I've driven through there regularly for many, many years and it is always several degrees warmer than anything even 5 miles south of it. I don't know what the deal is with Hattiesburg. I know when I went to school there, it was stifiling - the pine trees just kill any breeze unless its a thunderstorm (which then immediately adds to the intolerable humidity). Maybe its all the concrete? In any event, in a state notorious for uncomfortably warm temperatures, Hattiesburg is the worst.
0 likes   

timmeister
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5686 Postby timmeister » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:46 am

Agua wrote:
timmeister wrote:80 degrees currently in Hattiesburg, MS and the heat index is 83. Light rain and pretty humid, 73%.

Hattiesburg is consistently one of the hottest places in Mississippi. I've driven through there regularly for many, many years and it is always several degrees warmer than anything even 5 miles south of it. I don't know what the deal is with Hattiesburg. I know when I went to school there, it was stifiling - the pine trees just kill any breeze unless its a thunderstorm (which then immediately adds to the intolerable humidity). Maybe its all the concrete? In any event, in a state notorious for uncomfortably warm temperatures, Hattiesburg is the worst.

I live in Oak Grove (West Hattiesburg) and there is a coal fired power plant owned by South Mississippi Electric Power Association (SMEPA) about 2 miles almost due south of my house. I know that the plant puts a lot of heat and CO2 in the atmosphere and could be the cause for the hotter temps around Hattiesburg, but I'm not a meteorologists and couldn't say for sure if it affects the temps around here. What I can say about the plant is that I have noticed that when there are summer time thunderstorms that develop around Hattiesburg, it seems that the area around the plant (almost an oval shape) doesn't get any rain but there's rain to the west, to the north, to the east and to the south. It's almost like the heat and CO2 from the coal electric plant is affecting the atmosphere and keeping the thunderstorms from developing around it. I know this sounds crazy, but I've seen it on radar on numerous occasions. Maybe someone here who's a met could chime in on this phenomenon.
Note: A typical coal plant generates 3.5 million tons of CO2 per year.

What I can say for a fact, is that we have acid rain caused by the coal power plant and it eats the clear coat off of your vehicle's paint job over time if you leave it out in the rain. Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emitted by the plant causes acid rain, which damages crops, forests, and soils, and acidifies lakes and streams.
Note: A typical uncontrolled coal plant emits 14,100 tons of SO2 per year. A typical coal plant with emissions controls, including flue gas desulfurization (smokestack scrubbers), emits 7,000 tons of SO2 per year.

Anyway, it's just past 10:40AM here in the 'Burg and the temp is a comfortable 51°. I'm glad the muggy heat is gone for now and I'm looking forward to the Friday night temps being in the mid to upper 30's. Maybe winter has finally arrived.

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

timmeister
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5687 Postby timmeister » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Record highs in Hattiesburg, MS on December 26 and 27th of 81° and now the GFS is showing snow in Mississippi just north of Hattiesburg on Sunday morning January 3rd. What weird weather we have had the past 30 days!
0 likes   

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#5688 Postby Agua » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Yeah, its hard to get enough snow to stick to anything south of Collins. It does happen, though.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#5689 Postby LarryWx » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 pm

LarryWx wrote:Per yesterday's MDA daily forecast for KATL for Dec., they have them projected back up to 57.5 F (+12.2) which would be the warmest month of any of DJF on record there going back to 1878-9! History about to be made?

Kudos to MDA if KATL gets the record warmest Dec/any month of DJF as they first forecasted this way back on 12/19, which incorporated adjusting warmer to negate recent strong cold model consensus bias.

Well, KATL ended up with a new record warmest Dec and even the warmest met winter month on record! History made!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#5690 Postby Hammy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 am

LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:Per yesterday's MDA daily forecast for KATL for Dec., they have them projected back up to 57.5 F (+12.2) which would be the warmest month of any of DJF on record there going back to 1878-9! History about to be made?

Well, KATL ended up with a new record warmest Dec and even the warmest met winter month on record! History made!

Rainfall records were broken too, Athens nearby getting 15". I recorded over 13" at the house in Winder as well, which is interesting considering that we only had 1/4 inch prior to the 17th.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5691 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Jan 15th or around is likely a real cold front threat driving into the Gulf Coast. Possibly threat of a storm as heights finally lower from the southwest to south central plains and anchor into the southeast.

East Pacific Oscillation is moving negative with a +PNA. This will shove some colder air out of Canada and kill of the southeast ridge that has been plaguing the southeast most of December. I'm sure many of you are appreciating the step down process already occurring with relief from the warmth of late.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5692 Postby LarryWx » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Hammy wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Rainfall records were broken too, Athens nearby getting 15". I recorded over 13" at the house in Winder as well, which is interesting considering that we only had 1/4 inch prior to the 17th.

Yeah, that's crazy. KATL had an incredible >21" of rainfall for Nov and Dec, combined, which easily
beats the old record of under 20". Almost all of this was during the 1st week in Nov and then the last 2 weeks of Dec! Insane!
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5693 Postby LarryWx » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:48 pm

LarryWx wrote:

KSAV accomplished the same record in Dec of a warmest met winter month on record! Records go back to the 1870's!
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5694 Postby Hammy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:14 pm

GFS is alternating about every other run (0z and 12z runs) showing some kind of winter storm for the southeast in about 12 days or so.
0 likes   

timmeister
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5695 Postby timmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Hammy wrote:GFS is alternating about every other run (0z and 12z runs) showing some kind of winter storm for the southeast in about 12 days or so.

Yes, I have been watching that as well. However, the models that far out are not very accurate so I'm not getting my hopes up for snow just yet. If it's still there 3 to 4 days out, then I'll get excited.

0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5696 Postby MGC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:20 am

Frosty start to the day here along the Mississippi Gulf Coast......MGC
0 likes   

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#5697 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:31 am

0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5698 Postby Stormcenter » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:02 pm

I want to believe that so bad.

hurricanehunter69 wrote:Check it out....GFS at 300 hours http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?pr ... hive=false
0 likes   

Jag95
Category 1
Category 1

#5699 Postby Jag95 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Looks like all sleet. Not as much fun but you still get to miss work.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5700 Postby MGC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Had ice on the birdbath this morning so I guess we officially had our first freeze here in Pass Christian.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”